Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-07-2010, 15:19   #1
rock22

Skoda Octavia airbag light

Te airbag light has come on on my 05 Octavia and i have been told it is caused by the seat wiring which will need to be replaces at cost ~€200.

Is this a common problem, And is it just a matter or reconnecting wires or does it relate to a known fault? Does the whole seat wiring kit need to be replaced?
Any help much appreciated.
Advertisement
23-07-2010, 20:07   #2
yogimotorsport

Common enough fault in the mk2 octavia,wires are about 45euro plus VAT and should take no longer then a hours labour max
23-07-2010, 20:17   #3
crosstownk

Send a message via Skype™ to crosstownk
I can't remember the name of the dealer but they are near Monasterevin, Kildare. A mate of mine swears by them as they are very reasonable - he drives to them from Dublin any time his Škoda needs work. I'm sure you'll get the name of the dealer from www.skoda.ie

As stated, it's a common enough fault. It's a DIY job if you're that way inclined but don't patch up any wires, it's best to replace the loom given the safety implications of an airbag.

EDIT : It's this dealer.
29-07-2010, 21:29   #4
selfbuilder1

I had this exact problem with my 05 Octavia this week. The dealer wanted €230 to replace the wiring loom in the drivers door. Took it to a neighbour that works as a mechanic and he joined the broken wire and cleared the fault for €30. He says a common enough problem with wires breaking under the drivers seat or door.
Thanks from:
29-07-2010, 22:07   #5
Pkiernan

Despite the fact that the car is out of warranty, I would ask the dealer to replace/repair free of charge.

If it is a common problem, then it is a known safety issue. Skoda should be repairing these for no charge, if not recalling affected vehicles.

I would search online, and see how common the issue is. Print out a list, and bring to dealer.

We had a similar issue with an immobiliser in Germany on our VW Golf.
Dealer initially wanted €1500 to replace, when presented with a printout showing how common the issue was, he brought the price down to €286 - his cost for the part (or so he said!).

Anyway, given that the airbags are part of the sfaety system, this should be cost free to you.
Advertisement
29-07-2010, 23:10   #6
mickdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkiernan View Post
this should be cost free to you.
You would be doing well to get that for free. It is common but still, on an 05 car, you would be pushing it imo
30-07-2010, 01:24   #7
Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfbuilder1 View Post
I had this exact problem with my 05 Octavia this week. The dealer wanted €230 to replace the wiring loom in the drivers door. Took it to a neighbour that works as a mechanic and he joined the broken wire and cleared the fault for €30. He says a common enough problem with wires breaking under the drivers seat or door.
Is it the connectors under the seat that break ?
30-07-2010, 10:23   #8
sophie1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
You would be doing well to get that for free. It is common but still, on an 05 car, you would be pushing it imo
its also a common probelm in my 02 mini airbag light always on the bmw garage we bring ours to because its a common fault they will still fix it for free now they just do a quick fix it ends up comin back on a few weeks after but it really is not a probelm havin the light on anyways the airbagb is still there and working just a electrical fault!
30-07-2010, 10:57   #9
selfbuilder1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr View Post
Is it the connectors under the seat that break ?
Its the connections under the drivers seat usually. In my car it was the wiring loom going to the door where a wire had broken at the hinge.
Advertisement
31-07-2010, 19:20   #10
the airbag man

SRS airbag problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock22 View Post
Te airbag light has come on on my 05 Octavia and i have been told it is caused by the seat wiring which will need to be replaces at cost ~€200.

Is this a common problem, And is it just a matter or reconnecting wires or does it relate to a known fault? Does the whole seat wiring kit need to be replaced?
Any help much appreciated.
Contact Keith at info@<snip>ireland.com
and get what ever seat airbag wiring you need for free.
BUT i would think that you may have hit a kerb or pothole hard enough to blow your front seatbelts,
to check remove one side and shake - if rattling it has fired and is gone. It may be working mechanically but will never work electronically again -
a very common problem with all new generation vehicles from VW family (which includes Seat, Skoda, Audi) - if one goes they both go. If this is the case they will need to be replaced - airbags ireland can sort this for you as well - contact them for a price.

Happy motoring - you know what they say about cars, they are buckets with holes in them.

Last edited by -Chris-; 15-08-2010 at 00:45.
31-07-2010, 20:31   #11
bbk

Is that the same issue you would find on the mark 4 golfs?

If so I fixed it by cutting out the connector (it was losing connection) and then re connecting them with block connectors or solder it if you like. Then you need the fault cleared. Easy DIY if you are keen at it.
01-08-2010, 00:54   #12
Esel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie1234 View Post
it really is not a probelm havin the light on anyways the airbagb is still there and working just a electrical fault!
Afaik, if the light is on, the system is disabled (any car).
Thanks from:
01-08-2010, 10:53   #13
sophie1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by esel View Post
Afaik, if the light is on, the system is disabled (any car).
will the air bag light is just faulty in the mini but the air bag is working!!!
01-08-2010, 11:07   #14
bbk

Having the airbag warning light lit at any point means there is a fault somewhere in the airbag system, simple as that.

That means the system can not be trusted in an accident. Any posts implying that a lit airbag warning light means the system will work in the same way are very misleading and could result in people getting injured if listened to.

Sophie seems to be referring to a Mini specific problem where the airbags MAY (although I dont believe it) work as normal when the light is on. The VAG specific problem is generally one where the airbag connector plug under the seat begins to lose connection after years of the seat being moved forward and backwards etc. Although the light can be triggered by a nano second break in the connection the plug may be completely messed up and no connection is being made at all. The wire leads to the airbag itself so if there is no connection at the critical time the airbag will not deploy.

The fix is easy if you are DIYer and should be very very cheap at a good mechanic.

The airbag system is NOT 100%.

Finally, if anyone does a DIY jobby at it they need to get the fault code cleared by a VAGCOM or other scanning tool. When a fault is registered the ECU will not switch the light off until its been seen to.
01-08-2010, 11:09   #15
Bodhan

I had the vert same problem in my Seat Leon. Everytime someone esle would drive and move the seat I'd get the air bag light on.
There's a connector under the seat that comes loose, I went to a Seat dealer in Castlecomer, he said it's a common problem and it would be €40 to fix it.
He took out the connector and soldered the wires together, hasn't happened since.
Should be the same set up in your car. Try your nearest Seat dealer.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion