Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-07-2010, 15:58   #1
smokin ace

cinema charging for 3d glasses

hi everyone and i am sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but the cinema in gorey is newly open a few weeks now and i went today with the missus and two chaps to see toy story 3 in 3D and i was a bit taken back when i was charged 50 cent for each of the 3D glasses that i needed that was an extra €2 on top of what the ticket prices are i have been a few times before this a was not charged for the glasses

forgive me if i am coming across mean but why would a cinema charge customers extra for to see a 3D film anyway and then charge us again for the 3D glasses
in fairness have any of you seen anyone watching a 3D film without the glasses NO because its impossible to enjoy the movie because its blurry so i think the cinemas know we have no other choice but to pay the extra money for the glasses

if cost is the factor for the cinema why cant they but a box outside each screen and recycle the glasses has anyone else come across this at there local cinema
Advertisement
25-07-2010, 16:00   #2
Thoie

It's because people steal the glasses if they're left to be recycled. This way the next 3D movie you go to, you can bring your own and not have to pay again.

Also, for a kids movie, would you necessarily want a pair of glasses if there was a possibility the last wearer had head lice?
25-07-2010, 16:03   #3
cycocycle

Hold on to them yourself. There is no problem re-using them at another film. Kind of like the carrier bag charge, a nominal charge makes you more inclined to hold on to them rather than getting new ones every time.
25-07-2010, 16:03   #4

I don't mind paying to buy the glasses. If you hold on to them you can use them again. However the paying extra to watch a 3D movie over a normal movie is wrong. Pay for the glasses sure but charging extra for the movie is ridiculous. Are all cinemas doing this or only some?
25-07-2010, 16:07   #5
smokin ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoie View Post
It's because people steal the glasses if they're left to be recycled. This way the next 3D movie you go to, you can bring your own and not have to pay again.

Also, for a kids movie, would you necessarily want a pair of glasses if there was a possibility the last wearer had head lice?
then charge a rental fee of maybe a €1 that you get back if you brought the glasses back after the movie as for the head lice you mentioned you could get lice if you put you head on the head rest of the seat in the cinema

but i think charging people for the glasses is a bit much when there was not even a 2D version of the movie an option to see
Advertisement
25-07-2010, 16:10   #6
smokin ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
I don't mind paying to buy the glasses. If you hold on to them you can use them again. However the paying extra to watch a 3D movie over a normal movie is wrong. Pay for the glasses sure but charging extra for the movie is ridiculous. Are all cinemas doing this or only some?
i dont know about all cinemas but the 3 nearest to me are all charging between €2-€3 extra for to see a 3D movie
Thanks from:
25-07-2010, 16:26   #7
the_syco
Subscriber

Be aware that most of the price for the cinema ticket goes to the company that produces the film, with a very small percent to the cinema. Thus, unless it plans to make a massive loss ((200 people * €2) * 5 times a day) = €2,000 a day, they'll charge you.
25-07-2010, 16:45   #8
smokin ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco View Post
Be aware that most of the price for the cinema ticket goes to the company that produces the film, with a very small percent to the cinema. Thus, unless it plans to make a massive loss ((200 people * €2) * 5 times a day) = €2,000 a day, they'll charge you.
the cinema makes a lot of profit from the sweets drinks and popcorn and i dont have a problem with that at least you have the choice to buy them or not but but the 3D glasses are a different story they should not be a extra on top of the price of the cinema ticket if a cinema ticket for a 3D film is advertised for €9.00 why are we expected to pay €9.50 to see the film why pay extra for glasses when the film is advertised for €9.00
Thanks from:
25-07-2010, 17:01   #9
Thoie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin ace View Post
the cinema makes a lot of profit from the sweets drinks and popcorn and i dont have a problem with that at least you have the choice to buy them or not but but the 3D glasses are a different story they should not be a extra on top of the price of the cinema ticket if a cinema ticket for a 3D film is advertised for €9.00 why are we expected to pay €9.50 to see the film why pay extra for glasses when the film is advertised for €9.00
If the film had been advertised at 9.50, and you got to keep the glasses, would you be happy to pay 9.50 for the next 3D movie you see, thereby being "forced" to buy more glasses, even though you already own a pair?
Advertisement
26-07-2010, 08:19   #10

some rediculous comments here, they don't get the glasses for free, so why should you
if anything they should be applauded for encouraging re-use of the glasses
26-07-2010, 10:03   #11
Rockshamrover

It's not unique to Ireland. I was in Berlin recently and brought the kids to see the new Shrek 3d movie. Had to pay extra for the glasses.

Seems reasonable to me as you do have the choice, in most cinemas, to watch the 2d version.
26-07-2010, 10:24   #12
Captain Morgan

This post has been deleted.
26-07-2010, 10:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshamrover View Post
It's not unique to Ireland. I was in Berlin recently and brought the kids to see the new Shrek 3d movie. Had to pay extra for the glasses.

Seems reasonable to me as you do have the choice, in most cinemas, to watch the 2d version.
Sadly here there is often no option to watch the 2D version as the cinema will only get the 3D version if they are a 3D cinema. Sadly both my local cinemas have converted to 3D so that option has been lost.
26-07-2010, 16:43   #14
Slasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
However the paying extra to watch a 3D movie over a normal movie is wrong.
The film distributors charge extra to the cinema for 3D movies, so the cinema have to pass that on to the Customer.
26-07-2010, 17:07   #15
astrofool

Either they charge you up front and you keep them, or they give them away for free and you pay through increased ticket costs.

The glasses do not cost nothing, the consumer will be charged either way, the cinema's seems to be doing this the best way possible.

You can also watch another non 3d movie, or go to another cinema which shows the 2d version, or wait for it to come out on DVD/Blu-ray/TV.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion