Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation
5 stars (excellent) 5 100.00%
4 stars (good) 0 0%
3 stars (average) 0 0%
2 stars (poor) 0 0%
1 star (terrible) 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

26-04-2010, 09:52   #1

Longford Marathon 2010

Anyone else doing this ??

Its 18 weeks away so the proper training should be starting around now.

i had intended to do Cork in June but injuries and chest infections kicked that idea to touch.

So its Aug 29 in Longford now. Which actually suits a thet is where i'm from and have a handy place to stay.

Its a fairly flat course i think and at 45 quid good value as well.
Advertisement
26-04-2010, 10:14   #2
average_runner

Did the half last year and will do it again. Very well organised race. Only problem I found was the state of the toilets in the changing area.
26-04-2010, 10:48   #3
Oisin11178

Ill be down there. Nice and flat if not a bit lonely:-)
26-04-2010, 10:49   #4

But you'll go into another county
26-04-2010, 11:00   #5
Wally Runs

I did the full last year and yes it was lonely at times. I was alone a number of times and was convinced I was lost at one stage. Now this may not apply to yourselves if your in another time group but it wrecked my head no end. At various stages you need other runners to pull you along ' if I can just keep up with/pass your man ahead etc'. Just be prepared that is all.

Very well put together otherwise. Good nosh afterwards.
Advertisement
26-04-2010, 21:11   #6
beamgirl

Did the half last year and will do it again. Very well organised race. Only problem I found was the state of the toilets in the changing area.

+ 1 on the toilets, disgusting...nice flat course good for a PB (Half)
26-04-2010, 22:54   #7
theboyblunder

yeah im in for this and really looking forward to it. Started a P&D programme today with a day off. So far so good

Bit concerned with the 'felt lost' comment. I am like that, get lost very easily - are all the turns well marked etc?
27-04-2010, 00:18   #8
Oisin11178

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboyblunder View Post
yeah im in for this and really looking forward to it. Started a P&D programme today with a day off. So far so good

Bit concerned with the 'felt lost' comment. I am like that, get lost very easily - are all the turns well marked etc?
You wont get lost mate dont worry. Its just a small field. I ran the last 16 miles on my own last year.
Thanks from:
27-04-2010, 00:26   #9
Aimman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis jones View Post
But you'll go into another county
You actually get to run from Longford to Roscommon, to Letrim and then back into Longford, pick up some postcards on the way.

It's definitely not a spectator event, bar the small crowds at Tarmonbarry, Roosky and Newtownforbes, but I'd definitely recommend it if you are going for a good time, because of the fairly flat profile. I was looking forward to doing a bit of damage on my own PB this year in Longford, but it's the week before Dingle, and I have my sights set on the big one there this year.
Advertisement
27-04-2010, 00:41   #10
evolutionqy7

would like to go but price seems a bit too high they should make student rates does the money go for anything?
27-04-2010, 08:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimman View Post
You actually get to run from Longford to Roscommon, to Letrim and then back into Longford, pick up some postcards on the way.

It's definitely not a spectator event, bar the small crowds at Tarmonbarry, Roosky and Newtownforbes, but I'd definitely recommend it if you are going for a good time, because of the fairly flat profile. I was looking forward to doing a bit of damage on my own PB this year in Longford, but it's the week before Dingle, and I have my sights set on the big one there this year.
Oh i know that !!!

Bit i'm looking forward to most is passing Flancare Park..........

I'd defo do a PB as its my 1st marathon.

I started training with a 55km cycle yesterday.

I'm waiting on my insoles to arrive so have to replace some running with cycling.

I'll run 4 miles today and it will be the 1st official training session.

Oh and could a mod move this to events...........my bad
27-04-2010, 09:27   #12
Krusty_Clown

Send a message via AIM to Krusty_Clown
You won't get lost, as long as you don't start to second guess yourself, and take a turn-off down some country lane! It is a lonely place over the last 15, particularly the stretch down the country lane from Roosky. Because the roads are open, you can have someone in a car give you some support, and drop you off a drink at various locations along the route. It was my inaugural marathon, and I really enjoyed it. You can see the route here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/651148

(assuming it hasn't changed since 2008).
27-04-2010, 11:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_Clown View Post
You won't get lost, as long as you don't start to second guess yourself, and take a turn-off down some country lane! It is a lonely place over the last 15, particularly the stretch down the country lane from Roosky. Because the roads are open, you can have someone in a car give you some support, and drop you off a drink at various locations along the route. It was my inaugural marathon, and I really enjoyed it. You can see the route here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/651148

I know the area well and the route is fairly flat
27-04-2010, 11:13   #14
theboyblunder

Quote:

cheers Krusty - Im a moron when it comes to things like that. I shouldnt really be allowed in a car......

Two friends are coming down with me. One is going to cycle ahead with drinks/sweets and the other is final mile support.

Their secondary mission is to keep going to the bar for me on the sunday night
27-04-2010, 11:27   #15

Quote:

Or a lift

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion