Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

snooker in cork

• 30-03-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Is it just me or has Cork a serious lack of quality snooker halls?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭vag77

elchanco wrote: »
    Is it just me or has Cork a serious lack of quality snooker halls?:confused:
    the new snooker hall in blackpool is top notch it has 11 snooker tables and 3 pool tables u should check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭elchanco

ya.. i heard about the place in blackpool. Is it the old 147club?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

vag77 wrote: »
    the new snooker hall in blackpool is top notch it has 11 snooker tables and 3 pool tables u should check it out

Where exactly is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭vag77

its on the second floor aboye the new chemist on watercourse road

vag77 wrote: »
    its on the second floor aboye the new chemist on watercourse road

Good spot alright. Hopefully they start running tournaments and things

• Advertisement

Very impresive tables.. the only negative aspect would be the tv is too loud. I like playing snooker in quiet surroundings! sky sports news was blasting!Will there be any tournaments?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Does anyone know if the snooker hall in Douglas/Donnybrook is still open? I have called there twice over the last few days to find the doors locked. They seem to keep very erratic hours.
    If isnt the best kept club in the world but it is adjacent to me and handy for a few frames at short notice without having to fight traffic to other clubs.

Any info appreciated.

The_Banker wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the snooker hall in Douglas/Donnybrook is still open? I have called there twice over the last few days to find the doors locked. They seem to keep very erratic hours.
    If isnt the best kept club in the world but it is adjacent to me and handy for a few frames at short notice without having to fight traffic to other clubs.

Any info appreciated.

I play there a lot but haven’t been there in a few weeks.. They usually open at 11.30. Don’t know what time they close. I hope it hasn’t closed down. Yes, its not very well kept but its a nice quiet spot for a few frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

about that club in blackpool, it is top notch in fairness but are the tables correct size? for some reason they seem a bit smaller than the vic, i'm a complete novice tho so it might just be my imagination. also is the any place in cork that give lessons or training?? i'm completely rubbish and would love to improve

ondarack wrote: »
    about that club in blackpool, it is top notch in fairness but are the tables correct size? for some reason they seem a bit smaller than the vic, i'm a complete novice tho so it might just be my imagination. also is the any place in cork that give lessons or training?? i'm completely rubbish and would love to improve

As far as i know there stantard size tables. Ask the lads working there about lessons...

• Advertisement

Looks like Douglas Snooker club has either closed for the World Cup or shut down altogether :mad:

Tried to get in there a few times and the door locked and the phone just ringing out..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ryanah

The_Banker wrote: »
    Looks like Douglas Snooker club has either closed for the World Cup or shut down altogether :mad:

Tried to get in there a few times and the door locked and the phone just ringing out..

Has George gone on holidays?

I mmade it my business to get to the other side of the city today and checked out the new snooker hall "Shooters" in Blackpool.
    As some others posters said, 11 top quality tables, 3 coin operated pool tables (again top notch) and a sprinkling of poker machines.
    4 of the snooker tables were going and I had a few frames of snooker and pool.
    The TVs were off but the radio was on and it was loud but it didnt detract from the snooker.
    The decor was excellent and I could see a lot of money was puti nto the place.
    Hopefully it is supported as the owner might be waiting a long time for his money back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 buster7

:)douglas snooker hall is reopened as of 15/09/2010 under new management the hall has been refurbished painted open 7 days a week from 11am to 11pm wednesday special 6euro an hour 11 am to 6pm rates are 8euro an hour 11 am to 6pm 9euro after 6pm to 11pm !!!!!!!!

viva la douglas! I enjoyed playing in shooters but hate traveling across the city to play... and the music is way to load (i must be getting to old)

Is there new tables in the douglas snooker hall?

buster7 wrote: »
    :)douglas snooker hall is reopened as of 15/09/2010 under new management the hall has been refurbished painted open 7 days a week from 11am to 11pm wednesday special 6euro an hour 11 am to 6pm rates are 8euro an hour 11 am to 6pm 9euro after 6pm to 11pm !!!!!!!!

Excellent news... I must pay it a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Surprised no-one has mentioned the Mardyke in Cork City. Five (I think!) snooker tables but more of a focus on pool. Tables are in good quality, nice quiet area, good equipment. I've noticed one oddity though. I'd play well in the Mardyke, balls dropping everywhere but back home there was a notable difference with my local tables; seemed pockets were smaller. However I digress.

Mardyke is worth a look OP.

don’t waste your time with the mardyke. The tables aren’t standard sizes, pockets are like buckets... and its over priced.

Impressed with the Douglas, the new owner is looking after the place well & 6euro an hour on Wednesday is brilliant value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

elchanco wrote: »
    don’t waste your time with the mardyke. The tables aren’t standard sizes, pockets are like buckets... and its over priced.

Impressed with the Douglas, the new owner is looking after the place well & 6euro an hour on Wednesday is brilliant value.

I'm glad someone agrees with me, thought I was going insane over the table size. Pockets are big and it's pricey but no other big complaints. Might give Douglas a shot if I'm ever free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jerryluce

just wondering is there anywhere near cork city where i can get lessons. im not a beginner but help wud be appreciated

• Advertisement

yes we do give some help to improve your game call in and my brother karl will have a talk with you ok

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

buster7 wrote: »
    yes we do give some help to improve your game call in and my brother karl will have a talk with you ok

would also like help on improving, what club are you from?

douglas snooker club donnybrook commercial centre douglas

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jerryluce

thanks for dat. might call in after my exams.!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NavNav

Just thought I'd mention that the Crucible off Blarney Street is another great option with 8 Snooker tables and 2 pool tables. It's up the lane across from City View Wheels car shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Can anybody confirm if the new shooters snooker club has closed down?

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm if the new shooters snooker club has closed down?

It moved to Blackpool retail park, up behind the cinema. Looked open about a month ago anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Holy Diver wrote: »
    It moved to Blackpool retail park, up behind the cinema. Looked open about a month ago anyway....

Cool. Cheers ;)

Advertisement