Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-04-2009, 16:00   #16
EPM
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by delly View Post
Funnily enough there is an '05 1.4 Golf sitting in our company warehouse at the moment. Its going to be sold as the person who drove it got laid off unfortunately. Here's the kicker though, it has 257,000 km's on the clock

I don't even know if you could actually put a value on it.
Did they ever hear of diesel?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'll give you a grand...
Advertisement
22-04-2009, 16:03   #17
delly
Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPM View Post
I'll give you a grand...
Yeah, i tried that myself, but officially there looking for 4.
22-04-2009, 16:06   #18
IPushButtons
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delly View Post
Funnily enough there is an '05 1.4 Golf sitting in our company warehouse at the moment. Its going to be sold as the person who drove it got laid off unfortunately. Here's the kicker though, it has 257,000 km's on the clock

I don't even know if you could actually put a value on it.
Hey stick it in the paper like everyone else
22-04-2009, 16:12   #19
delly
Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPushButtons View Post
Hey stick it in the paper like everyone else
I don't own the car, as mentioned earlier. I just think it crazy km's on a petrol car.
22-04-2009, 16:19   #20
IPushButtons
Banned

Sorry . I think anyone sane will run a mile when they the mileage on that and they want 4000 for ha ha, tell them I said good luck with that. That car will end up at an auction or in the crusher.
Advertisement
16-03-2010, 17:55   #21
slowpoison

oh god!

oh god iam driving a 1.4 golf since last september, and i have never spent so much money and my dad is a mechanic so iam saving a fortune! its just one bloody thing after another, from the immobiliser, to the alarm, the door locks and the windows deciding they dont want to work anymore, replacing the clutch and gearbox, new alternator, spark leads the list seems to be never ending and it drinks petrol and oil like a fish i have never seen anything like it! oh im selling if anyone wants to buy haha

WATEVER YOU DO, DONT BUY A 1.4 GOLF!!!
16-03-2010, 18:03   #22
Ryan T

After reading the posts on this topic I am amazed. I have owned 5 (yes five)1.4 vw golfs and never had a problem with any. Super car with a great resale value. Average mpg of 40 There is no comparison between a ford focus and a golf. Also never thought the 1.4 under powered
16-03-2010, 18:19   #23
jethrothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T View Post
After reading the posts on this topic I am amazed. I have owned 5 (yes five)1.4 vw golfs and never had a problem with any. Super car with a great resale value. Average mpg of 40 There is no comparison between a ford focus and a golf. Also never thought the 1.4 under powered

I drive an 07 1.4 Octavia, which I am guessing is the same as the engine as used in the Golf. Prior to that I had a 00 1.4 Seat Leon, which again, I guess had pretty much the same engine as the Golf.
I have to say, I have never had a problem. Underpowered it may be, but if the bulk of the driving that you do is either city driving or light commuting then in my view, it's ideal.
16-03-2010, 19:18   #24
The Pontiac

The MK4 Golf is a rubbish car. I knew someone that had a 1.4 and everything went on it - exhaust, cat, central locking and even the engine died. Ended up getting a second-hand engine (from a 02 car with 75k) and this lasted only 18 months, after it..not sure, but the mechanic said the best thing to do was avail of the scappage scheme if possible. Crap car to drive too - horrible clunky gearbox, the handling is nonexistent, poor ride quality, poor visablity. They looks nice alright, but that's it I'm afraid. Buy a Focus.
Advertisement
16-03-2010, 19:26   #25
stevie_b

i recently sold my 1.4 golf and got a focus 1.6 tdci - and man am i glad i did. imo the golf is very underpowered (and so are other cars of similar size), and overrated. i now no longer feel like i am destroying my car when taking off from a set of lights or overtaking etc; the focus is a joy to drive.

edit - on subject of mpg:
Quote:
The fuel economy (mpg) of the new 1.6 TDCI Ford Focus Diesel is amongst the best in its class. The book figures claim 45.6 mpg Urban, 70.6mpg Extra Urban with a combined figure of 58.9 mpg and these bear out quite well with the actual figures attained during everyday use. We manage between 55 and 58 mpg on a mixture of 50 mile motorway journeys and the school runs, often through traffic congestion in Newbury.

With steady speed UK A-road or motorway driving at 60mph the Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI hatchback delivers over 70mpg (our best fuel economy is 75.6mpg on a journey to Nottingham and back from Newbury).
from ,http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/f...dci_review.htm

Last edited by stevie_b; 16-03-2010 at 19:44.
Thanks from:
16-03-2010, 19:38   #26
squod
Closed Account

Quote:
That about says it, Focus is way superior.
16-03-2010, 19:39   #27
Fiskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPM View Post
Differences are CL gets cruise, 15 inch alloys, auto lights and rain sensitive wipers. Also auto dim rear view mirror. SL gets instead of these sports suspension (15mm lower), 16 inch alloys, sports seats and leather wheel. CL Mall the way, and post 07 get air con on all models. Both get nicer trim, 4 x ew and better on-board computer over baseline model

Post 09 CL models dropped the auto lights, auto dimming mirror and rain sensitive wipers! So much for the 2009 brochure and VW Ireland.
16-03-2010, 21:06   #28
bazz26

Quote:
I've owned different makes and models of cars over the years, going from one make to another really opens your eyes to the good and bad things of your previous make or model. Buying the same model again and again can only give you a comparison against the previous model, not against the competition.

Also my family's first hand experience of VW is far from positive, my uncle had a current model Passat that was a disaster from day one. And my sister's Lupo has been a money pit. Personally myself I think they are overrated and overvalued by the general public, they do make some interesting models like the GTi and Scirocco but for the most part they are average at best but each to their own I guess.
19-07-2011, 03:55   #29
MacOwen

I have owned and still own a 02 1.4 vw golf. I have it for nearly the last 4 years and don't find it too underpowered. I have never had a days trouble since i bought it, there is 94k miles on the clock. I know a few people who have had focus' and have had nothing but trouble from them!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion