Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-02-2010, 11:31   #1
jarvis

Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

Just got a phone call on my home phone from an Indian sounding guy climimng to be from "Online pc Doctor"

He said he's ringing all windows xp and vista customers with regards to a system crash and told me to turn on my pc while he checks it for me!!!

I told him I'm on windows 7 and he said its all windows systems and they are certified to carry out this work by Microsoft!!!!

There was a delay on the phoneline so I presume he was calling from abroad.
He seemed genuinely shocked when I told him I'm not interested in him helping me and I wouldn't turn my pc on.

How weird is that whole phone call?
Anyone else get one or hear about one of these calls before?

I also got a cold call from Eircom 15 minutes before hand, I must be on some poxy list.
Advertisement
24-02-2010, 11:49   #2
Dermot Illogical

They offer to "fix" your PC, get you to grant them remote access to it, and charge €90 for the privilege. And another €200 or so if you sign up to their "long-term" deal.
To be avoided at all costs. Handing over credit card details and full control of your PC to a cold caller isn't the brightest thing to do, but obviously there are enough people out there to make it worthwhile for these guys.
24-02-2010, 11:55   #3
Yawns
Banned

your not the first nor the will be the last unfortunatly. So many people fall for this. They will remote access your pc and then retrieve passwords etc via a keylogger and such.

Also cc details over phone. Just tell them to send you a bank draft and you'll return the money via western union while your at it
24-02-2010, 12:17   #4
Abelloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT66 View Post
They offer to "fix" your PC, get you to grant them remote access to it, and charge €90 for the privilege. And another €200 or so if you sign up to their "long-term" deal.
To be avoided at all costs. Handing over credit card details and full control of your PC to a cold caller isn't the brightest thing to do, but obviously there are enough people out there to make it worthwhile for these guys.
They offer to fix something that isn't broken?
24-02-2010, 12:52   #5
Dermot Illogical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOval View Post
They offer to fix something that isn't broken?
Yes. The last one I heard about they pitched virus statistics, patching and defragging until the victim was worried enough to get the credit card out.
You know, scaring people into buying something. No reputable major telecommunications company would ever use tactics like that in radio ads, but these individuals have no scruples
Advertisement
24-02-2010, 13:42   #6
jarvis

Quote:
Yes. The last one I heard about they pitched virus statistics, patching and defragging until the victim was worried enough to get the credit card out.
You know, scaring people into buying something. No reputable major telecommunications company would ever use tactics like that in radio ads, but these individuals have no scruples

Do you mean I could have a virus????? Should I call them back
24-02-2010, 16:57   #7

Quote:
The sad part is that it really does work on some people I've heard from people talking about the lad who "helped them with their Windows" on the phone...
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2010, 14:33   #8
homehelptech

They're still at it

I work in consumer IT support and just had a call from a customer saying Online PC Doctor cold called him last week, telling him he had a virus when there was no way they could possibly know. These guys seem to be operating worldwide. Website looks professional and uses local phone numbers.
There are details of the same scam operating in Australia http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1362347.html

Buyer beware I guess, but it brings the rest of us IT support people into disrepute ...
(4) thanks from:
16-03-2010, 16:27   #9
Qs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
Do you mean I could have a virus????? Should I call them back
I just had a call from them, the guy said its not a virus its an infection like malwares or trojans and thats why anti-virus software wont find it :lol:
Advertisement
16-03-2010, 20:24   #10
jarvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs View Post
I just had a call from them, the guy said its not a virus its an infection like malwares or trojans and thats why anti-virus software wont find it :lol:
Whatever quote they give you, I'll clean it up for half their price.
Wonder if I'll get much business undercutting them!!! Hmmmm....
16-03-2010, 21:31   #11

scary stuff! they must be making some money if they can pay for all the long-distance calls. come back clippy all is forgiven!
25-03-2010, 14:32   #12
Dreddybajs

Just got this call now, so they're still going at it with Dublin phone numbers.
25-03-2010, 14:37   #13
K.O.Kiki

Everyone who's ever had real IT support knows these guys are a scam.

Here, I'll give you some REAL IT support:
  • Have you checked if it's plugged in?
  • Are you SUUUUUUUURE??
25-03-2010, 14:51   #14
pickarooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider guardian View Post
scary stuff! they must be making some money if they can pay for all the long-distance calls. come back clippy all is forgiven!
I don't know about you but I can ring any landline in the world for free with my broadband package.

Has anyone who doesn't have a computer been called by these cowboys?
25-03-2010, 15:00   #15
Gone Drinking

Quote:
» — Merv

If you ask me to define your service in one word, I would simply say WOW. Thanks Doctors you made my day. The worms in my computer were destroying my files…but you destroyed them. Keep up the good work”

»– George

I have no idea what I would do without Online PC Doctors. You have returned my investment 10 times over. You are phenomenal.

» - Simon

I feel Online PC Doctors is the best place to get computer help with both simple and complex issues. I appreciate the prompt service to resolve my computer problems.

» - Adam

Brad is extremely good at his profession and we appreciate him. Glad we found you. Thanks a bunch!

» - Sean & Stephanie

Your people worked effeciently and promptly to rectify the function of my computer, Romi and Carol were clear and very helpful, answering all my questions and took the time to explain to me the items which i did not immediatly understand. Very professional,polite and a credit to your organisation.

Thanks, Regards, Kirk Trease
But just read some of those testimonials!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion