Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-02-2010, 11:55   #16
wiggy123

i'd agree...as skulling is cruel+dangerous for cattle+ man
Advertisement
23-02-2010, 13:39   #17
westlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_diesel View Post
We do them at about 5-6 weeks, really whenever there's a bud. Terrible job, its the one job I really detest. As said above, the lesser of two evils. There's alot to be said for Angus's!! You'd imagine in this days and age they'd be able to genetically engineer so as not to produce horns.
When we do them we usually completely remove the bud. I've read you don't actually have to do this, just burn around it. Anyone do the same?
I burn them out but I dont go to the root....I usually scoop out the horn but theres a white base underneath so i mustnt be getting it all. But i havent seen any problems with this method yet!
Usually put sudocream on afterwards.
23-02-2010, 16:26   #18
John_F

if you thinnk that doing them at calves is bad look at this video.. cruelty! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaF1PO-Pd2g

in New Zealand they get vets to dehorn

Last edited by John_F; 23-02-2010 at 16:33. Reason: Video link didnt work
23-02-2010, 18:04   #19
theroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by williemakeit View Post
on this subject does anyone have recommendations for calf dehorning crates. make, price and supplier.
cheers
came across this the other day on the web: http://www.ballinadee.com/?q=node/10
don't know if it's any good, but it looks like it might do the job. Anyone using one?

For dehorning, we give them the local anasthetic beforehand and goes fine - they don't act like they're in pain, anyway, and then aluminium spray afterwards to seal the wound - (almost) no bleeding.
23-02-2010, 18:18   #20
John_F

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroad View Post
don't know if it's any good, but it looks like it might do the job. Anyone using one?

For dehorning, we give them the local anasthetic beforehand and goes fine - they don't act like they're in pain, anyway, and then aluminium spray afterwards to seal the wound - (almost) no bleeding.
hope you mean alamycin spray
Advertisement
23-02-2010, 18:48   #21
theroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_F View Post
hope you mean alamycin spray
nope, Aluspray. It's aluminium-dust-in-a-can and works like a bandage to seal a wound. Good stuff.
23-02-2010, 19:02   #22
vanderbadger

Quote:

ya saw that advertised in journal, not sure about it, i think access to the side which is attached to gate might be tricky
23-02-2010, 19:10   #23
Indubitable

I dehorn my calves as soon as possible.

Maybe you should consider a polled breed. you can get polled bulls for alot of breeds now. I used a polled Blonde D'Aquitaine bull so only my AI calves need dehorning. Polled variations of a breed tend to be quite hard found and cost more than a normal bull
23-02-2010, 21:50   #24
mossfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakalasa View Post
Under the Suckler Scheme, to do with without an aesthetic, you have to do them under 2 weeks, which is crazy.
I find there is a huge difference between the breeds and between heifers and bulls. A bull with shorthorn breeding will grow them a lot quicker than a charolais heifer. You need to have the bud about 1cm long (my vet told me this aswell). The first year I did them too early and ended up doing them again...crazy.
I also seal across the exposed flesh with a 'X' shape using the hot iron afterwards, it stops any bleeding. I spray a bit of iodine also - can't do any harm.
Do them when young - the lesser of two evils !!!!!
i wouldnt recomend using iodine on any fresh wounds or for dehorning because it will keep the wound fresh.
i find aluspray the best because the cows cant lick it off.
i think its important to have some sort of easy release mechanism for the calfs head in the box to prevent injury.
Advertisement
23-02-2010, 22:04   #25
John_F

Quote:
nope, Aluspray. It's aluminium-dust-in-a-can and works like a bandage to seal a wound. Good stuff.
jaaae,,, never heard of that now, learnt more on here than i did in college
23-02-2010, 22:21   #26
maidhcII

It is actually illegal to dehorn any calve over 14 days without an anaesthetic (and consequently a vet present!)

Not saying anyone does it, but worth throwing in there!
23-02-2010, 23:13   #27
Indubitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_F View Post
if you thinnk that doing them at calves is bad look at this video.. cruelty! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaF1PO-Pd2g

in New Zealand they get vets to dehorn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaF1PO-Pd2g
Your link didn't work.

That is horrible

Last edited by Indubitable; 23-02-2010 at 23:13. Reason: fixing link
24-02-2010, 10:06   #28
reilig
Closed Account

I managed to get a tube of dehorning paste from a supplier in Northern ireland for this year's calves. I do all calves before they're a week old. Its very simple, just clip the hair, make a circle with vaseline to keep the paste on the horn and rub on a tiny bit of paste with a spatula. Its a lot easier on the calves than the dehorning iron and it is very effective.

I tried a couple of times to buyt it down south, but can't find anywhere that sells it.
24-02-2010, 12:18   #29
BeeDI
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilig View Post
I managed to get a tube of dehorning paste from a supplier in Northern ireland for this year's calves. I do all calves before they're a week old. Its very simple, just clip the hair, make a circle with vaseline to keep the paste on the horn and rub on a tiny bit of paste with a spatula. Its a lot easier on the calves than the dehorning iron and it is very effective.

I tried a couple of times to buyt it down south, but can't find anywhere that sells it.
Not legal to sell the paste or the dehorning sticks in the south. More bullsh1t for the box tickers to police.
I bought about 10 years supply before it went out
Lot less stressful on man and beast in my opinion.

B
24-02-2010, 19:30   #30
haybob

I agree with you about dehorning as soon as possible, I have a good few angus and they are great but sometimes the X calfes can be a bit stronger when you can dehorn them

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthe3rdyrs View Post
I dehorn my calves as soon as possible.

Maybe you should consider a polled breed. you can get polled bulls for alot of breeds now. I used a polled Blonde D'Aquitaine bull so only my AI calves need dehorning. Polled variations of a breed tend to be quite hard found and cost more than a normal bull

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion