Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-01-2010, 15:00   #121
Dionysus

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser750 View Post
Hi,

Does anybody know if it is possible to do the CELT course anywhere near Waterford? I want to enroll in a course but would rather not have to travel to Dublin/Galway for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow_brite View Post
Hi Laser750

Did you find out in the end in there are any courses near Waterford? Last time I checked it was mainly Dublin also

Every officially sanctioned Department of Education ACELS CELT course in Ireland can be found on this very handy map on the ACELS homepage:

http://www.acels.ie/search.htm

A click on the 'W', for instance, reveals that a CELT course is running in:

Name: Waterford English Language Centres
Address: 31 John's Hill, Waterford. Co. Waterford
Tel: 051 877288
Fax: 051 854603
Contacts: Bridget Behal, Benedict Behal

There is also an ACELS CELT course running in:

Name: EFL-Ireland
Address: 29 Fisherman's Grove, Dunmore East, Co. Waterford
Tel: 051 347483
Fax: 051 385483
Email: info@efl-ireland.com
Advertisement
17-01-2010, 15:13   #122
Rainbow_brite

Thank you Dionysus for the link
17-01-2010, 16:35   #123
Sir Humphrey

The Waterford schools mentioned offer ACELS approved English course but I don't think they offer teacher training which I presume is what people mean when they equire about CELT.
18-01-2010, 17:58   #124
youngblood

Hi, hope someone here maybe able to answer this
Qualified primary school teaching, 5 years experience
Qualified EFL teacher as part of my under grad
Have taught in Asia, Europe and language schools here
during the summer
Wondering what my EFL job prospects would be in New Zealand?
I initially thought about primary teaching there but as the fee's to get accredited over there are so high and I will only be there for about 3 months
I was wondering what my EFL job prospects would be there?
Any help appreciated
26-01-2010, 13:24   #125
Feownah

Hi there, I am looking to do a part time CELT course as i have a full time job, the only part time courses seem to be in Dublin School of English and also Dorset College. Has anyone been on either of these courses, I would appreciate some feedback ? I am ideally looking for the cheapest option but I also take the quality of the course into consideration. Also if anyone knows of any other part time options in Dublin region please advise?Thanks!
Advertisement
27-01-2010, 19:03   #126
snowleapord

Celta

Hi there
I completed a CELTA course in IH Dublin in November..Brilliant course was 1 month and super intensive...v pressurised but well worth it!!
I know that IH Dublin do part time courses too..so check them out. I hear that it is very difficult doing the course part time...better to get it over and done in 1 month if you're able too. I was lucky I got funding from Fás that paid for most of the course as I was made redundant in May..Hope this helps
27-01-2010, 19:24   #127
Dionysus

I received notification about the following event from an English language school that I worked with last year. It is from ACELS, which is the governing body of English language schools in Ireland and which awards the CELT tefl qualification. If anybody is interested in becoming a teacher of English as a foreign language, it would probably be worth your while going to it in the Teachers' Club (Parnell Square, Dublin) on Saturday 6 February 2010:

PS: As somebody who did the CELT, I regularly receive such emails from both the language school I did it in and the school I worked in last year. Most of these emails are notifications of jobs for teachers of English across the world. They were looking for teachers in Santander in Spain two days ago.
27-01-2010, 23:19   #128
Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowleapord View Post
I hear that it is very difficult doing the course part time...better to get it over and done in 1 month if you're able too.
I posted a query about the part-time versus full-time options at IH in the other recent CELTA thread, no feedback yet.

Do you have anymore info on this, snowleapord? I can do either option.
28-01-2010, 19:30   #129
Deadsnott

Hi everyone, just finished reading the 9 pages of this thread (very informative, thanks to everyone!).

I'm hoping to do the 4 week CELT course but it costs the best part of a thousand euros so it will be some time before I can get the money together. I was wondering if there was any funding I could get? I went to my local employment services office today but they told me FAS will not fund anything to do with TEFL or the likes. I saw that Goiter posted that he/she got partial funding from FAS. Does anyone have any more info about this or about anywhere else I can try? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
29-01-2010, 13:22   #130
Feownah

hey all. thanks for responses also! Anybody have any feedback/stories to tell of their experiences whilst teaching abroad?Recommend any particular countries?
29-01-2010, 17:03   #131
Rainbow_brite

Hi all

I've been thinking of completing the CELTA course for sometime. Just wondering if anybody completed it in International House London? if so whats their thoughts on it? I presume it's similar to the course offered in IH Dublin?!

Thanks
05-02-2010, 01:15   #132
1c1a

garda vetting

does anyone know if you can collect your garda vetting form from the offices in tipp? And if you just rang them and said you needed it asap could you collect it instead of waiting for it to be posted?
18-02-2010, 21:28   #133
laser750

Thanks very much for all the replies
19-02-2010, 02:10   #134
Tristram

Send a message via ICQ to Tristram Send a message via MSN to Tristram
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1c1a View Post
does anyone know if you can collect your garda vetting form from the offices in tipp? And if you just rang them and said you needed it asap could you collect it instead of waiting for it to be posted?
Don't know myself. I had a few things I wanted clarified when applying for me, phoned and found them to be very helpful. Maybe you could give them a ring.
19-02-2010, 18:16   #135
blackrovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
Hi, hope someone here maybe able to answer this
Qualified primary school teaching, 5 years experience
Qualified EFL teacher as part of my under grad
Have taught in Asia, Europe and language schools here
during the summer
Wondering what my EFL job prospects would be in New Zealand?
I initially thought about primary teaching there but as the fee's to get accredited over there are so high and I will only be there for about 3 months
I was wondering what my EFL job prospects would be there?
Any help appreciated
hi just wondering how you got to do tefl teaching in asia and what the pay was like?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion