Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-12-2009, 09:25   #616

Dang, wanted to Post the Kittinger 'leap' yesterday but couldn't attach.
Excellent picture. Would have been funny if the automatic camera failed to work though!
Advertisement
10-12-2009, 09:38   #617
DanGlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stekelly View Post
Why bother with truth eh? It was the other knee that Haaland had to retire because of.
Firstly, as mentioned below:

Don't respond to posts 20 odd pages back, they've already been dealth with in the thread.

Secondly. Might not have ended his career, but going in deliberately to injure him and shouting "take that you c***" Oh yeah, Roy Keane, world class player! What a man... just a typical rag! But its off topic, so whatever, get over it!
10-12-2009, 09:44   #618
Jeege

"The Falling Man"
One of the many who jumped rather than waited for crushing in the 9/11 attacks. He almost seems relaxed, like he has accepted his fate. Very sad.
(4) thanks from:
10-12-2009, 10:22   #619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran500 View Post
Don't respond to posts 32 pages back, they've already been dealth with in the thread.
He's just clarifying something which is good, I don't see the probkem.
(2) thanks from:
10-12-2009, 13:31   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroppyBoy1798 View Post
Polish Pole vault jumper Władysław Kozakiewicz.
That guy rules !!

I couldn't see this one posted previously. I remember watching this on TV in Germany and they showed the whole gruesome thing from what I recall it took them about 10 minutes to get a final bead on the guy and his kid - knowing full well they were completely innocent palestinians. I will never forget hearing Alan Dershowitz defending the Israeli army for this.

Advertisement
10-12-2009, 13:56   #621

Wow fair fooking play. that was some thread. I got a good 2 days out of that. I was researching some of the images to find out more information. Just brilliant. As a student photographer I hope I have the balls to take shots like some of the ones we have just seen.

kevin carter rip

Last edited by cuig06; 10-12-2009 at 14:01.
Thanks from:
10-12-2009, 14:07   #622
TheBastard

Regarding the picture above of the Palastinians, i have to say how any one could defend that is shocking. The Israeli Army do not obide by international rules of engagement. the only reason they get away with it is America will not stand up to them as The jewish vote is so strong in America. how could anyone fire on a man and child huddled in the corner behind a barrel. This picture alone says to me that the Israeli army are on par with the Nazis. Its a disgrace.
10-12-2009, 14:13   #623
prinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBastard View Post
Regarding the picture above of the Palastinians, i have to say how any one could defend that is shocking. This picture alone says to me that the Israeli army are on par with the Nazis. Its a disgrace.
In actual fact IIRC those poor unfortunates were caught in the middle of a street gun battle. It was unclear who was responsible for their deaths. Blame should be apportioned to both sides. Their own "freedom fighters" didn't give a toss about them being stranded there either.
10-12-2009, 14:24   #624
Jeege

Is there a link to the story? So tragic
Advertisement
10-12-2009, 14:32   #625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeege View Post

Is there a link to the story? So tragic
Google is your friend (so is the bbc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/952600.stm

Boy becomes Palestinian martyr
Jamal al Durrah tries to protect his son Muhammad
"Don't shoot" screams the boy's father
Just moments after this picture was taken, Muhammad al-Durrah was shot dead. Now the 12-year-old boy has been turned into a new martyr for the Palestinian cause.

For 45 minutes, Muhammad's father tried in vain to shield him from gunfire as they crouched against a concrete wall near Netzarim in the Gaza Strip.

This was his sacrifice for our homeland, for Palestine

Boy's mother

The whole scene was caught on camera by a France 2 cameraman, and has been played repeatedly on Palestinian television.

The footage shows the boy's father, Jamal al-Durrah, waving desperately to Israeli troops, shouting: "Don't shoot". But the terrified boy is hit by four bullets, and collapses in his father's arms.

An ambulance driver who tried to rescue the boy and his father was also killed, and a second ambulance driver was wounded.

Mr Durrah, who was also badly wounded, said his son died for "the sake of Al-Aqsa Mosque", the holy site in Jerusalem seen by the Palestinians as both sacred and sovereign territory.

"My son didn't die in vain," said his mother, Amal.

"This was his sacrifice for our homeland, for Palestine."

If Palestinian policemen had wanted to save the boy, they could have walked into the square ....and rescued the kid

Israeli Cabinet Secretary Yitzhak Herzog
But the Israeli Cabinet Secretary, Yitzhak Herzog, said that Palestinian security forces could have saved the boy.

In an interview with the BBC World Service, he said that "if Palestinian policemen had wanted to save the boy, they could have walked into the square, said 'Stop the fire'... and rescued the kid".

He added that Palestinian police should have called their Israeli counterparts who he said had been trying to speak to Palestinian commanders for hours.

Mr Herzog said people had seen "only the angle of the French television".

The Israeli army later admitted that the shots which killed Muhammad had "apparently" been fired by its troops, and apologised for his death.

boy
Muhammad cowers against his father
But before they did so, other Israeli officials questioned whether the boy was killed by Israeli bullets and said he could have been hit by stray Palestinian gunfire.

But witnesses say the Palestinian youths were armed only with stones, not guns, and the shooting was all from the Israeli side.

The video footage clearly shows that not only were the boy and his father completely unarmed, but they were not even part of the rioting.

Relatives say the pair were returning from Gaza's popular used-car market, and were trying to get home to the Buriej refugee camp where they live along with many thousands of Palestinians.

Image shocks world

A wounded child is carried away
Many children have been killed and wounded in the rioting
The disturbing footage has been played throughout the Middle East, and on all major US television networks over the weekend.

A photo still from the video ran on the front page of the New York Times.

The newspaper quoted an Israeli journalist as saying he saw the footage for the first time as he was delivering the news on Saturday night.

"I lost my voice. I've been doing this for many years... But my brain went dead, and my tongue went limp. To see a little boy killed before your eyes," he said.

The British newspaper, The Independent, described it as "an image that will haunt the world as painfully and powerfully" as any of those from the Palestinian uprising or Intifada.
10-12-2009, 14:49   #626
Jeege

Hurricane Frances - Coast Of Florida 2004
10-12-2009, 15:20   #627

Before the onslaught into Palestine:

"Israeli girls write messages of love on artillery shells at a heavy artillery position near Kiryat Shmona, in northern Israel"

"...with love From Israel"

(2) thanks from:
10-12-2009, 15:24   #628
Jeege

End Of His Life As He Knew It - Orphaned Chinese baby crying in the South Station in Shanghai, China, 28 Aug 1937

Australian Sergeant Leonard G. Siffleet of M Special Unit about to be beheaded by Japanese soldier Yasuno Chikao, Aitape, New Guinea, 24 Oct 1943

We Lost Everything Else, But We've Got What Really Matters
Two French boys watched from a hilltop as Allied vehicles passed through the badly damaged city of St. Lo, circa Jul-Aug 1944
10-12-2009, 17:48   #629
SpitfireIV

Send a message via MSN to SpitfireIV
RMS Titanic's location is discovered in September 1985, the world sees the ship for the first time since her fatal rendevous with an iceberg in April 1912.

^ First image captured by Robert Ballard, a boiler in the debris field.

The ships bow.

The crows nest.
10-12-2009, 18:14   #630

Long-time listener, first time caller...

Undoubtedly the best thread I have ever read, not just on boards but anywhere on the web. Thanks to all who have contributed. I have spent in the region of 12 hours over the last few days looking at pictures and then looking at the links and learning from them. It has been educational, funny, harrowing, scary, sad, but above all, very very interesting.

I'd just like to make a couple recommendations, if you don't mind..

In the later pages, there has been quite a bit of repetition. Yes, it's a long thread, but it does deserve to be viewed in it's entireity before anyone adds a new picture/post. Just saying "I'm not sure if this has been posted before.." is just laziness and it threatens to spoil a fantastic thread. Yes, I do realise there has been lots of photos and it's difficult to remember them all.

Secondly, what I really appreciated about this thread is the stories and explanations that go along with the photos. If possible, could posters add a link or explanation with their photos.

Finally, to keep the thread going, here's my offering (jaysus, I'll be scarlah if it's already been posted )

Pope John Paul II assasination attempt. Full story here

Last edited by BohemianDub; 10-12-2009 at 18:18.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion