Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-03-2009, 15:03   #16
AckwelFoley

Electric chainsaws.. hmmm..

Ive got a husquvarna chainsaw, petrol - great machine. Having said that we'd have alot of work for it.

PLease be careful with chainsaws, there are very dangerous to work with, but most accidents happen due to complacency or not knowing how to use a cainsaw properly.. Never ever use the tip of the saw for cutting, keep the branch clost to the base of the chain bear the grip teeth
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-03-2009, 05:44   #17
CJhaughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceirishfella View Post
CJ - calm down, breath in and out.
I'm saying and stand by what i said "what I was told" - don't shoot the messenger - and regardless of who makes it,its meant ( I'm told,geddit)to be good for the price and I'll take that advice from the person i know in the trade and not a faceless person on an internet forum using a dead politicians name, trying to brow beat me down with a "I know it all and you're wrong styleeeeeeee" End of. LOL
Firstly I am calm.... just taking my medication
Secondly good man, go and buy the saw, just don't cut your leg and bleed out.
I couldn't give a monkeys whether you think I am trying to brow beat you or not, what I do care about is accuracy of information.
You have provided nothing but "a mate told me that this saw is a husky"
Anyone else reading this thread that thinks the Florabest is a Husqvarna think again, it ain't orange and it ain't a husky.
16-03-2009, 09:43   #18
gsxr1
Closed Account

I got the petrol chainsaw in Aldi. Tis a little cracker. I have cut down 4 big trees and stocked my shed with winter heat for next year. .

Its put away now with the cylinder full of two stroke for storage.

Hopefully it will be ready for action next year again.

. I did need to buy a file for sharpening as the one that came with it was no good.
Thanks from:
18-03-2009, 10:10   #19
alibabba

Update

I picked up the electric chainsaw in LIDL and have put it to serious work over the last week. I agree with the great advise not to cut using the tip, keeping the log close to base during cut will increase safety.

The chainsaw itself is great, allot of umph n power (2200W). and its great not to have to mess with topping up on petrol all the time and flooding it the odd time. im afraid my petrol chainsaw will stay in the loft for the time been.

Thumps up for this chainsaw for me anyway.
09-08-2009, 18:16   #20
tinofapples

Send a message via MSN to tinofapples Send a message via Yahoo to tinofapples Send a message via Skype™ to tinofapples
McCulloch Chainsaws

Lads, rather than start a new thread was wondering what are peoples opinions of the McCulloch petrol saws:

€149
http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdet...P&catid=102.12
€199
http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdet...P&catid=102.12
Same as above but Tenner cheaper
http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...3ECHAINSAW.htm

Around €199
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...ext%3ECHAINSAW

Are the McCulloch reliable ?

I had an electric one either Aldi/Lidl up till recently was working fine but ain't working anymore. Might consider the petrol this time due to portability restrictions with electric ones.

Alternatively are Spears and Jackson any good ? I'm not really interested in the more expensive ones (Husq/Stihl) as it's not for heavy use. Bit of log cutting and such.

Last edited by tinofapples; 09-08-2009 at 18:23.
Advertisement
28-08-2009, 08:14   #21
Gautama

Lidl are selling their Florabest petrol chainsaw from Monday, €100.
http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages...Florabehainsaw
I was going to get a McC for €175 in B&Q but I think I will get this instead. It's got good HP and a longer blade, and costs less.
The chain sharpener is €25.
http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages...lorabeharpener

Any opinions?
Thanks from:
28-08-2009, 08:19   #22
Gautama

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinofapples View Post
Alternatively are Spears and Jackson any good ? I'm not really interested in the more expensive ones (Husq/Stihl) as it's not for heavy use. Bit of log cutting and such.
I have a S&J brush-cutter, I wouldn't buy one again.
It's just a generic tool with the S&J brand on it. S&J make good quality hand tools but their brush-cutter is just a poor re-brand.
28-08-2009, 08:19   #23
alibabba

As already mentioned, I got the florabest electric charinsaw 2200W version, a mighty saw i tell ya.
I've a full shed of timber all cut up and she still going.
So I would have to recommend the florabest

That that money you cant go wrong
Thanks from:
28-08-2009, 10:34   #24
niceirishfella

Thanks for the heads up on this - I'll be grabbing one of these too!
Advertisement
29-08-2009, 00:07   #25
Greenman

For me there is only one brand for a chain saw and thats Stihl. Bought mine about 5 years ago, its a MS 180 I use it every year for getting in my winter wood supply. Its starts everytime even if its been lying idle for say 3 months. I use the Stihl file set to keep the chain sharp. Maintainence is easy an basic and if I really have a problem I can go back to the dealer and his workshop to sort it.

I was so happy with Stihl I bought the petrol domestic strimmer plus they're electric hedge trimmer.
Thanks from:
29-08-2009, 18:06   #26
CJhaughey

The MS 180 is finished, the new MS181 is a different design with the stratocharged engine.
I would agree that the MS 180 is a good little machine and was very reasonably priced(in other countries).
I am hearing good reports about the MS211 also stratocharged,apparently after about 10-11 tanks they start to run very well.
Stihls strength has always been it's dealer network.
I wouldn't get one of those electric sharpeners they will reduce the lifetime of your chain considerably, learn to file and you won't look back.
The chain they use on those saws is either 91VX or 95VP and a loop of it is about €25 ea.
29-08-2009, 21:21   #27
Greenman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJhaughey View Post
I wouldn't get one of those electric sharpeners they will reduce the lifetime of your chain considerably, learn to file and you won't look back.
Good post CJ re the sharpening this a good video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qhwQ...eature=related

I think I paid €225 4 years ago here in Belgium and its paid me back many times, very handy kit.

Cutting down trees takes a bit of thinking especially if you're close to electric wires and/or houses but thats another story.

All I can say I'm very happy with my MS 180.

Last edited by Greenman; 30-08-2009 at 05:15.
31-08-2009, 11:17   #28
Gautama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautama View Post
Lidl are selling their Florabest petrol chainsaw from Monday, €100.
http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages...Florabehainsaw
I was going to get a McC for €175 in B&Q but I think I will get this instead. It's got good HP and a longer blade, and costs less.
The chain sharpener is €25.
http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages...lorabeharpener

Any opinions?
After doing a bit of research I've decided that "you pay for quality"! In that case I may give Florabest a skip.

Also, I did some googling and there are a number of posts where people have had trouble finding Florabest parts.

I have an electric McCullock that I haven't used that much and it's given me no problems. However, I need a petrol one so I may buy a Husquvarna or a Stihl.

Where's the best place (in the Dublin area) to buy one? If memory serves I can't recall seeing one in Homebase or B&Q. Am I better off going to Atlantic or Woodies, or a Builders Providers like Brooks?
31-08-2009, 12:03   #29
CJhaughey

Quote:
After doing a bit of research I've decided that "you pay for quality"! In that case I may give Florabest a skip.

Also, I did some googling and there are a number of posts where people have had trouble finding Florabest parts.

I have an electric McCullock that I haven't used that much and it's given me no problems. However, I need a petrol one so I may buy a Husquvarna or a Stihl.

Where's the best place (in the Dublin area) to buy one? If memory serves I can't recall seeing one in Homebase or B&Q. Am I better off going to Atlantic or Woodies, or a Builders Providers like Brooks?
I look at it like this, you probably need a 30-40cc saw for small work nothing bigger than 16" dia. Can you sharpen and maintain your own saw? clean the Airfilter? If you can then buy from Ebay. If you aren't sure and need to be walked through the process, find a good local dealer either Stihl or Husky.
There are a few good dealers around but also a lot of them are just interested in getting money out of your wallet and into theirs.
I wouldn't buy from those big stores they will be not much cheaper than a dealer and give as much backup as an Ebay seller.

Stihl look at MS181-211
Husky 435-440 not the 235 series.

They are much cheaper in the UK.
31-08-2009, 17:43   #30
niceirishfella

Quote:

Well, The Florabest is a Husky, so it is quality and you've missed a trick imho. I bought one today, and its got Husky written on it, a comprehensive manual and 24 month back up by Husky themselves here or in the uk(all the contact details are in the manual)
I've asembled it, and its working well - and for €99?
It's near disposable at that price.
Ohhh, and I picked up some nice croissants whilst in lidl, they'tre in the oven now, Mmmmmmmmmm.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion