Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HDMI Cable

• 09-08-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

got a mail shot from 7 day shop for cheap gold plated hdmi cables. haven't bought one but for under £3 maybe worth a chance?

link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

could a mod please correct the type error on the title. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,811 ✭✭✭✭muffler

yes and it will cost you about 8 quid for delivery unless they have changed their shipping charges recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

These are good prices here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

omerin wrote: »
    got a mail shot from 7 day shop for cheap gold plated hdmi cables. haven't bought one but for under £3 maybe worth a chance?

All HDMI cables, regardless of price, give exactly the same signal quality - whether you pay €3 or €50. (It can be worth paying more in some very rare cases - but these are few and far between.)

It should be possible to get a cable at reasonable cost, locally. I know that Aldi and Lidl have them from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

The quality of the cable(gold plating etc) doesn't really matter unless you're using a cable over 2m long. After that you start to get losses in quality, but quite negligible losses. There really isn't much difference between any of the cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

omerin wrote: »

link
    yoshytoshy wrote: »
    These are good prices here

Shipping Costs -

Just Media offer delivery to anywhere in the Republic of Ireland, and do our best to ensure next day delivery.

Shipping Costs:

Dublin next day delivery up to 30Kgs is €4.99
    Country Wide next day delivery up to 30Kgs is €9.99
    Any order over €49.99 is free delivery anywhere in Ireland

Collections:

You can also order online and click collection on check out.
    Print off your receipt and call in to collect.

7 Day Shop -

EIRE DISPATCH - £5.95
    • Average Dispatch Times: 1-3 working days
    • Average Delivery Times from dispatch: 3-5 working days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Just media are based in finglas/Dublin. And allow payment by paypal and pickup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

€6.95 in Tesco seems a good enough deal to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

€6 in tesco if you need one right now or €3 shipped from dx if you can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

€4 off games and accessories on cdwow today, means you can pick this cable up for €2.99

http://www.cdwow.ie/games/Miscellaneous/GIOTECK-HDMI-CABLE-PS3-XBOX360/product/view/9839711
    1.5 metre flat transfer cable providing optimal picture quality with true HD signal up to 1080p

Heavy duty shielding for improved signal integrity while rejecting EM and RF interference

High Bandwidth producing sharper textures, superior shading definition and detail
    24k gold contacts for maximum digital signal transfer and corrosion resistance

Picked up 2 the last time they were on offer, very happy with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭k123456

The HDMI cable on cdwow mentions gaming, is this cable specifically designed for gaming, I just need one to connect DVD player to TV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Cdwow one looks tempting. Any idea how it compares with 7dayshop one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

actually spotted some philips hdmi cables for 2.99 in tesco in coonagh in limerick. It was one of those displays hanging off the shelves to the left of the tvs etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

k123456 wrote: »
    The HDMI cable on cdwow mentions gaming, is this cable specifically designed for gaming, I just need one to connect DVD player to TV

It doesn't matter what it says on the cover, a HDMI cable is a HDMI cable. They can't be "designed for gaming" or "designed for movies" or anything else because they all have to follow the same standards and carry the same signal, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

dunworth1 wrote: »

That's only 0.75m long, ridiculously short - I got one ages ago and it's pretty much useless as whatever you're connecting needs to be extremely close to the TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have a0.75 one and its fine. My TV is beside my PS3 so...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Don't buy gold plated cables unless you're plugging them into correspondingly gold plated sockets on your appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

€4 off games and accessories on cdwow today, means you can pick this cable up for €2.99

http://www.cdwow.ie/games/Miscellaneous/GIOTECK-HDMI-CABLE-PS3-XBOX360/product/view/9839711

Picked up 2 the last time they were on offer, very happy with them.

i ordered 2 of these and no sign of them yet
    when i login to my cdwow account it says 'backdated'
    anyone else getting the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Just to add, the only time you'd need to spend a lot of money on a HDMI cable at present, e.g. €20+, is when you need a length of cable over 5m. Low priced HDMI cables are generally insufficient in these conditions and you will need to invest money in a quality cable that is guaranteed to transmit the signal over such lengths.

I also echo the points made by recycler1 and amacachi. Save money, when buying HDMI cables under 5m, and ignore all the marketing bull that comes from companies like Monster Cable and from sales staff in stores, e.g. gold plating, etc, as it's simply another way for you, as a consumer, to be ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

There's already lots of threads on where to get cheap HDMI cables. Cheapest I've found is Deal Extreme at $4.61 delivered, thats about €3.24.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭patch

If anybody has a link to a source for the cheapest 5m or 10m hdmi cable with proof of quality, that would be worthwile info to post up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

I paid €45 for a 10m cable in Expert Electrical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Tesco usually has Philips branded HDMI cables for about 5 squid.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,811 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bought one in Strabane this morning for the amazing price of 99p. In fairness its only 1 metre long but will be adequate for what I need it for :)

Advertisement