Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-05-2009, 12:04   #1
Beta Ray Bill
Subscriber

A step in the right direction

Hi all

not sure if this is a re-post

but on the Dart, they have the performance stats.

they are now marking trains that are over 5 min late, as late (as opposed to 10 mins)

the score for this month was 93% (I am skeptical about this, only 350 approx trains later than 5 mins?)

however all in all I think it's a better indication of how well the dart service is performing.

Last edited by Beta Ray Bill; 21-05-2009 at 12:15.
Advertisement
21-05-2009, 12:15   #2

I saw that and meant to post on it. I'd actually believe the 93.65% or whatever it was. I don't use the DART often these days but whenever I do it seems to be on time. The problem is more the length of gaps between DARTs.
21-05-2009, 12:33   #3
KC61

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm17781 View Post
I saw that and meant to post on it. I'd actually believe the 93.65% or whatever it was. I don't use the DART often these days but whenever I do it seems to be on time. The problem is more the length of gaps between DARTs.
As far as I'm aware, this will be addressed at the next timetable change with a clockface 15 minute frequency being introduced on DART (augmented at peak times), and all other services then being built around this.

It will have some implications for other services, such as Gorey/Rosslare services which will take a minimum 40 minutes to get from Connolly to Bray due to the DART headway being only approximately 10-12 minutes ahead.

Thus all of the long gaps in DART will be eradicated, and hopefully all other Connolly suburban routes will as a result develop clockface services also.
(2) thanks from:
21-05-2009, 14:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
As far as I'm aware, this will be addressed at the next timetable change with a clockface 15 minute frequency being introduced on DART (augmented at peak times), and all other services then being built around this.

It will have some implications for other services, such as Gorey/Rosslare services which will take a minimum 40 minutes to get from Connolly to Bray due to the DART headway being only approximately 10-12 minutes ahead.

Thus all of the long gaps in DART will be eradicated, and hopefully all other Connolly suburban routes will as a result develop clockface services also.
Do you have a good source? (You don't have to post it, I'm just curious if it's reliable )

That sounds good, I hope true. Does this depend on the resignalling or can it happen anyway?
21-05-2009, 14:48   #5
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
Quote:
Wow, thats actually a good idea! Woner where in Irish Rail that came from

I'm assuming that the "clockface" timing will be when the train actually leaves whichever terminus it is at? How does this reconsile with trains that leave Bray at 1 say and Greystones at 1.15, not really 15mins gaps.

Or will it be every 15 minutes clockface through Connolly/Pearse??

Last edited by Cookie_Monster; 21-05-2009 at 15:52.
Advertisement
21-05-2009, 15:37   #6
KC61

Well I've heard it from several sources...including the current CEO at a presentation.

As far as I am aware the main person driving this (along with all of the other service pattern changes that have happened so far) is Dick Fearn, the CEO.
Thanks from:
21-05-2009, 16:01   #7
KC61

Quote:
Do you have a good source? (You don't have to post it, I'm just curious if it's reliable )

That sounds good, I hope true. Does this depend on the resignalling or can it happen anyway?
It does not depend on the resignalling - it can (and I believe will) happen regardless.
Thanks from:
21-05-2009, 16:54   #8
dcr22B

I wish they'd look into the reason why we're always stuck behind a DART on the Drogheda bound train when it would just be as easy to change points and let us run past it if there was sufficient time to avoid a holdup coming in the other direction.
21-05-2009, 17:04   #9
loyatemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr22B View Post
I wish they'd look into the reason why we're always stuck behind a DART on the Drogheda bound train when it would just be as easy to change points and let us run past it if there was sufficient time to avoid a holdup coming in the other direction.
i get the the impression they really don't like running the "wrong way" on any track.

I've heard of the clockface timetable plan also - some Irish Rail rep mentioned it when addressing Greystones councillors who were looking for more frequent services - the 1 hour 0830-0930 gap from Greystones will be addressed at the same time apparently.
Advertisement
21-05-2009, 17:45   #10
Beta Ray Bill
Subscriber

Quote:

A friend of mine works in CTC @ Connolly

He said the system is at capacity both in terms of rail road available and signaling

The System in place was built many moons ago and was never designed to maintain such a high capacity of trains.

They need a 3rd line between grand canal dock and howth junction, that would be an ideal solution (obviously this will never happen)

changing the time tables to improve DART regularity WILL affect other services negatively. their just isn't enough room. the current signaling system according to my mate is a joke. Only 1 train (DART) can be between Connolly and Killester going north bound (which is approx 3.5 Km's of track, kinda ridiculous really)
21-05-2009, 17:49   #11
bk

Quote:
As far as I am aware the main person driving this (along with all of the other service pattern changes that have happened so far) is Dick Fearn, the CEO.
Well in fairness to him, the clock face timing is one of the really good things that has been introduced to IR in recent years.
21-05-2009, 18:21   #12
Ham'nd'egger

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
i get the the impression they really don't like running the "wrong way" on any track.

I've heard of the clockface timetable plan also - some Irish Rail rep mentioned it when addressing Greystones councillors who were looking for more frequent services - the 1 hour 0830-0930 gap from Greystones will be addressed at the same time apparently.
The problem with "wrong way" running is that it blocks up a lot of track both ways in order to allow a train to pass another one out; even then it only saves about 5-10 minutes at best around the Dublin area. It's really intended to allow the line to keep moving both ways in the event of emergencies or breakdowns.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion