Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-04-2005, 21:40   #1

RTE 2FM/Fanning sessions

Does anyone know if RTE are willing (or able) to release any of the 2FM/Fanning sessions?

Back in the late 1980s, it was explained to me (by Ian Wilson, no less!) that the sessions
were effectively free: the band either got paid a fee for the day, or got the rights to the
recordings and a stereo master of the session's mixdown (no multis - the old studio
where the sessions were done didn't have its full complement of working tracks!)

If the band decided to take the money on the day, they could always get the rights back
later, by buying them from RTE. That was usually done after the band got signed, or had
made enough money gigging. Whatever choice the band made, RTE had a certain amount
of time, and exclusive airplay rights, before the recordings could be used elsewhere.

Presumably they are still done this way (I haven't bothered to ask anyone I know who has
done one in the last 5 years).

They used to crop up on B sides a lot, and older ones are probably on a few CD reissues,
but if the BBC/Peel sessions could all be released separately, what's stopping RTE from
releasing some sessions?
Advertisement
19-04-2005, 20:56   #2
polarbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGonagles
Presumably they are still done this way (I haven't bothered to ask anyone I know who has
done one in the last 5 years).
they were 2 years ago anyway.
13-05-2009, 21:37   #3
whytek

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGonagles View Post
what's stopping RTE from
releasing some sessions?
um, that's a rhetorical question, right?

did you ever approach RTE about it?
14-05-2009, 19:22   #4
jamjamjim

2fm

I done a fanning session about 10 years ago and as far as i was aware 2fm always owned the rights to them recordings but would sell them to you for what i think was £80 at the time,we were paid i think £250 but opted not to get the recordings, also as far as i know up to last year Ian Wilson was still involved with 2FM so maybe would be no harm to give them a ring and ask is it possible to get a copy of your recordings.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion