Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-04-2009, 14:37   #1
Xcellor

Overflow from water tank leaking

I noticed the other day that there was water dripping from the attic through a pipe outside. I believe this is the overflow pipe from the water tank in attic. The dripping seems to stop by itself but this never happened before so I'd like to resolve it. Anyone know what could be the problem?
Advertisement
13-04-2009, 15:04   #2
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellor View Post
I noticed the other day that there was water dripping from the attic through a pipe outside. I believe this is the overflow pipe from the water tank in attic. The dripping seems to stop by itself but this never happened before so I'd like to resolve it. Anyone know what could be the problem?
It can be a few things especially as its never happened before.

It could just be the ball cock sticking, over time this happens

It could be a second heating tank leaking into the first and there for causing the overflow

It most likely is the first,

How old is the house.

Sometimes they just stick, sometimes they get old and need replacing. Just get up and check there is no secondary heating tank flowing into the first if there is check both ball valves, move them up/down carefully. This should unstick them. If its still leaking, the washers need replacing although most plumbers just replace the lot. Its easier cheaper labour and ,more reliable
12-05-2009, 18:37   #3
Xcellor

OK decided to buy a new ball + cock thing. While fitting it I decided to let the water run out of the tank. I obviously disconnected mains water while doing this.

The tank ran to nearly dry. I have now reconencted all fresh water pumping but when I turn on the cold water taps nothing...

So I think that its air blockages... How do I deal with this? The tank is still filling at the moment so I am hoping the pressure of teh water will force the air out but if not do I have to suck pipes! :S

Thanks.
X
12-05-2009, 18:53   #4
danjo

Connect a hose between the cold and hot tap. Open both taps. The water from the hot tap will fill into the cold tap and eventually release the airlock. Best to do it when the hot water supply has cooled.
12-05-2009, 19:01   #5
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjo View Post
Connect a hose between the cold and hot tap. Open both taps. The water from the hot tap will fill into the cold tap and eventually release the airlock. Best to do it when the hot water supply has cooled.

I think a plumber will advise you you have this the wrong way around, you use the cold mains to flush out airlocks normally

you fit a tube of the cold mains to the hot tap and turn on both. you can then fit a tube from the cold mains to the tank hot and do the same

I have found since I got a bathroom downstairs I just open the taps down and upstairs and this clears it
Advertisement
12-05-2009, 19:38   #6
Xcellor

Thanks for your help.

I actually overfilled the water tank by allowing it to fill to the point where it was using the overflow pipe. then I saw teh bubbles start to come up from the pipes below. I opened the taps then and the water splurted then came good! No more dirty windows from the overflow splashing on them

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion