Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-05-2009, 13:59   #1
heathcliff

McCambridge Bread

hi bakers, wondering if you could help me i am looking for a recipe for bread similiar to "John McCambridge irish stone-ground wholewheat bread" the one you can get in supermarkets.
Advertisement
01-05-2009, 15:09   #2
rocknchef

this should be similiar

Ingredients
  • 4 oz = 125 g plain flour
  • 1 heaped teaspoon breadsoda
  • 1 level teaspoon salt
  • 12 oz = 350 g whole wheat flour
  • 2 oz = 30 g bran
  • 1 level teaspoon caster (*) sugar (optional)
  • 1 oz = 25 g margarine
  • 1 carton natural yoghurt (size 5.5 oz = 150 g)
  • 1 egg
  • fresh milk see method
  • Oven Temperature: preheat to gas mark 7 = 425°F = 220°C
  • Oven shelf = third from top
  • Tin size: a deep 7 to 7.5 inch = 18 to 19 cm round cake tin
. Method
  1. Lightly grease the tin with melted margarine and dust out with whole wheat flour.
  2. Sieve the plain flour, breadsoda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
  3. Add the whole wheat meal, bran and sugar (if using). Mix thoroughly, lifting the fingers high, allowing the mixed flour and bran to fall back into the bowl through the fingers. Rub in the margarine and repeat.
  4. Beat the yoghurt and egg together and add enough milk to make the mixture up to almost 3/4 pint = 425 ml.
  5. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour in the yoghurt mixture and mix quickly with a fork.
  6. Turn the dough out on to a table or board already dusted with flour and knead lightly.
  7. Place the dough into the prepared tin, smooth the surface and cut a deep cross on top. Brush the top with a little beaten egg or milk, and dust with whole wheat flour.
  8. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
  9. Turn out of the tin and tap the base of the bread; it should sound hollow,
Thanks from:
01-05-2009, 18:03   #3
heathcliff

hi rocknchef tks for recipe, will give it a go tomorrow i am missing yogurt, if you ever want fab recipes for shortbread, cookies etc let me know. i will let report on how i get on.
01-05-2009, 23:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathcliff View Post
hi i am missing yogurt
use some buttetmilk instead, if you have some
05-05-2009, 19:00   #5
heathcliff

rocknchef, i have just got around to doing bread today i was busy baking for moroccan themed party at weekend and the verdict is the bread is fab i used buttermilk instead and though i thought i had all of the other ingredients i was missing bran too so i put in wheatgrem instead and the result is that i wouln't be buying bread anymore which is good in this economy tks again

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion