Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pistol license arrived this morning.

• 21-12-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I applied for a cert for a 9mm Sig P226 in the middle of July, it arrived this morning:rolleyes:

Should I wait and see what happens in January before picking up the gun?

This is really frustrating after waiting so long:mad:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hell No! I would be down at the dealer 0900 tomrrow AM to collect it!!
    Even if you only got a DAY out of it before the ban,it is somthing you should do,after all that well ridicilous time,hassle and money invested in it by you???Get it ASAP and enjoy it for as long as you can.
    My 2c

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Yeah, gonna go ahead with it, it has to come from Germany so it'll be January before I get my paws on it unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Con grats!! Go with Grizzlys advise :)

Im waiting on my licence for 9mm Browning since June!! Called district station last week. They said its gone back to my local for somthing then its off to the firearms dept for approval.

So is it that any licence granted after, the ministers statment is to be revoked or is it once they were in the system they`ll be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You applied before the press release from Ahern so the licence isn't covered by his proposed ban; meaning that even if the ban comes in, you'll have one of the few fullbore pistols left. So yes, pick it up, even ffrom the cynic's point of view....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I was the same 3 weeks ago.....then i decided I'd pick it up...best thing ever.. Smith&Wesson 357magnum. pick yours up, you'll regret it if you don't.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies lads!

Best of luck with your cert Chem, shouldn't take long now I'd say.

Congrats Tackleberry, put many rounds through it yet?

Feel like a right grinch now, wishing xmas was over so I can go and pick it up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

murph226 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies lads!

Best of luck with your cert Chem, shouldn't take long now I'd say.

Congrats Tackleberry, put many rounds through it yet?

Feel like a right grinch now, wishing xmas was over so I can go and pick it up:D

ya put the 357s tru it no prop all gone waiting to get 38s for it now as that's all the range will let us shoot, I'll have to get cert amended so as to be able to buy more than the 100 rounds they disappear to quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Hi lads my licence came last week I decided not to pick it up as I thought they said they were not going to renew any pistol licence's come july.
    Not sure what to do as in the uk after the ban if you tryed to sell yours to europe you were offered very little I think the same will apply here I hope not.

That's not what they said harly, I'd reconsider if I was you!

I understand what you mean I picked up my licence but am not going to pay for a pistol that might be very hard to off load no one in europe will give half what there worth if the ban comes in, every one ahs an opinion mine is the writings on the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

harly1516 wrote: »
    I understand what you mean I picked up my licence but am not going to pay for a pistol that might be very hard to off load no one in europe will give half what there worth if the ban comes in, every one ahs an opinion mine is the writings on the wall.

Firstly Harly, you hardly think that less than 1800 handguns is going to affect the european market so much that everything drops in value by a half!

That's assuming everyone doesn't get their licence renewed which is not certain by a long shot.

Secondly, you wouldn't have to sell it immediately, but leave it with a dealer.

Thirdly, without changing the law one iota and not making any moves so far to change it, I'm in serious doubt as to whether (a) it's going to happen or (b) this Minister is capable of the task.

Fourthly, if you're so quick to give up, one would wonder how serious you are about the sport in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I suppose it's easy for me to say as I've had my pistol licences for a good while now, but I'd be strongly advocating that anyone granted a licence should take possession of the gun and use it as much as they can for as long as they can.
    Feck it, actually getting hold of the licence is the end of a long process of clearing hurdles and jumping through hoops (legitimate use: club/range membership, CPO inspection, home security upgrades, security clearance in 'The Park', etc), all on top of the usual local procedures for applying for any firearm certificate.
    By issuing a Firearm Certificate for a pistol, the local Superintendent has deemed themselves satisfied that the applicant satisfies ALL of the above criteria, and is a safe, sensible, law-abiding citizen.

All of the people I know with pistols either paid in full or a very substantial deposit on ordering it, so the money is/was spent at the beginning of the process anyway; I'd say: Screw it, the money's already spent, I might as well do some shooting for as long as I'm let. If the worst comes to the worst and everything gets done away with in July, well, I'll have gotten six months out of it and I'll be able to say that I had a pistol for a while back in the 'good old days'.
    And woe betide any politician that comes looking for my vote who had anything to do with passing/supporting the legislation that outlawed my sport and criminalised my participation in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Anyone tell us or have a guess...Can pistols and rifles be subsuquently liscensed????

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Subsequently? The way you can for shotguns you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Should I wait and see what happens in January before picking up the gun? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'd go & get it. That's been a long wait.... Congrats.....

In the uk you had to take compensation from the gov or export it not leave it in a dealers till someone in europe decided to buy it at the going rate, when exporting them they didint make any diffrence to the price of pistols in europe except for the lucky dealers who bought them get the pic you get a choice do you

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

harly1516 wrote: »
    In the uk you had to take compensation from the gov or export it not leave it in a dealers till someone in europe decided to buy it at the going rate, when exporting them they didint make any diffrence to the price of pistols in europe except for the lucky dealers who bought them get the pic you get a choice do you

The government here will want to avoid paying compensation at all costs so they'll probably allow dealers to store handguns pending export.

At worst, you could hand it in for storage with a dealer in the north, in the Isle of Man or further afield. That would give you the breathing space to negotiate a fair price for it abroad.

Dont forget folks. You could make them club guns in the north. You still own them, but they are kept in the range to use whenever you visit. You dont have to sell them!!! Dont just give them up lads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

chem wrote: »
    Dont forget folks. You could make them club guns in the north. You still own them, but they are kept in the range to use whenever you visit. You dont have to sell them!!! Dont just give them up lads ;)

How does that work for licences though seen as you wonthave a licence for that gun anymore in the south!!!

newby.204 wrote: »
    How does that work for licences though seen as you wonthave a licence for that gun anymore in the south!!!

Hi newby, Not sure of the full ins and outs of how to do it yet. But im looking into it. I think the first step is to leave you gun into a dealer in the north. Apply for membership of a club in the north. Then look for a cert for your gun in the north from the PSNI. Only thing is the gun would be a range gun. You could not have it with you outside the range.

• Advertisement

Hi lads, should have the gun Friday week, CANNOT WAIT:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Hi lads, should have the gun Friday week, CANNOT WAIT:D

Don't forget to post up a pic.....

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭christyler

Go for it, you will love it. i have been shooting mine now for six months or so
    its great. Takes a while to get used to it, but then :)

Picked up my Sig today:D I'll post some pics later, was hoping to break it in on saturday but I'm on duty:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Congrats and well ware ;)

Congrats and well ware ;)

Cheers Bunny!

now we see

Advertisement