Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-11-2008, 10:54   #16

venue

hey just wondering where the next meet up venue is - are new members welcome ?
Advertisement
24-11-2008, 11:44   #17
kingtut

Send a message via MSN to kingtut
Autumndays can you please pm me the details also please. Thanks
24-11-2008, 11:59   #18
dahamsta
Banned

Why not make it public? Like this:

http://corcaigh.ning.com/

(Feel free to set up your own, I just created that a minute ago.)

adam
Thanks from:
24-11-2008, 13:35   #19
kingtut

Send a message via MSN to kingtut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMelodrama View Post
Why not make it public?
I'm guessing it is kept private so that only people who are serious about joining the club know about where the meetups are etc....That way they do not get randomers appearing.....that would be my guess anyway...

Anyone serious about becoming a member (like myself) will request details.

Last edited by kingtut; 24-11-2008 at 13:35. Reason: shortened quote
24-11-2008, 20:43   #20
AutumnDays

Hi guys

I'll answer your PM's now! Basically the group is going really strong, started off with a few of us, but now well over 100 members. I'm trying to keep it to people with things in common - 25-40 age group, professionals, people who have done a bit of travelling or lived abroad - married, singles, couples, we have them all. We're a social/network group (not a dating club I hasten to add!).

Quote:
Why not make it public?
Exactly Kingtut - it's a kind of exclusive 'club' - and I'm keen to keep it that way. I like to ask people to tell me about themselves first, before telling them about our get-togethers - want to avoid any wierdos! It seems to be working so far, they're a real great bunch of people...!

Anyone who is interested in joining - if they could PM me and just tell me a little bit about themselves - basically, if you think you might fit our group profile. Sounds very corporate I know, but the formula just seems to be working....!

Last edited by AutumnDays; 24-11-2008 at 20:47.
Advertisement
24-11-2008, 23:26   #21
dahamsta
Banned

Whatever floats your boat I guess. Groucho Marx said it best...

The Ning network I set up is self-sub anyway, all welcome: Boardsies, non-Boardsies, randomers, weirdos, etc.

www.corcaigh.org

adam
Thanks from:
25-11-2008, 13:50   #22

dddd

dff
25-11-2008, 19:46   #23
AutumnDays

Hi guys

Thanks for your Pm's - have PM'd you back.
26-11-2008, 18:07   #24

hi

I am interested in joining your group...Can you tell me when and where you meet up?
Thanks
Advertisement
26-11-2008, 19:48   #25
AutumnDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2008 View Post
I am interested in joining your group...Can you tell me when and where you meet up?
Thanks
Anyone who is interested in joining - if they could PM me and just tell me a little bit about themselves - basically, if you think you might fit our group profile. Sounds very corporate I know, but the formula just seems to be working....!
27-11-2008, 12:08   #26
Illkillya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMelodrama View Post
Whatever floats your boat I guess. Groucho Marx said it best...
I'm assuming you're referring what he said about not wanting to join a club that would accept him as a member. But what springs to mind for me is what he said about having "a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it".

The worryingly thing is the whole "exclusive" vibe with a screening process hinged upon the whim of AutumnDays. How many people have you rejected as weirdos so far? How would you determine who is a weirdo and who is not? I could throw out some far fetched examples to illustrate the point but you see what I'm getting at...

Obviously it's your game so you can play it however you want, but as an uninterested randomer offering 2 cents, Cork is a small place. You've done a good job drumming up so many people, but unless you're building your own private army, why the need for behind-the-scenes formality? I'm not a fan of politics, and the "it has worked fine so far" logic justifies nothing and does not mean it is the best approach.
Thanks from:
27-11-2008, 13:06   #27
dahamsta
Banned

That was my thought, I just didn't want to say for fear of being accused of trolling.
Thanks from:
28-11-2008, 12:19   #28
Judes

As part of this Group - I would like to congratulate Autumn Days for doing an absolutely fantastic job!!! We are a very like minded group of people - a lot of us have worked abroad, or other Counties for years and returned to Cork, some people have relocated to Cork through work. Whatever "formula" Autumn Days uses absolutely works. If some of you Boardsie people don't like the concept - start your own Social Group. Because that is what it is - a Social Group - for "like minded people".

Thank you Autumn Days - I've met some true friends through this Group!!! J
28-11-2008, 13:07   #29
Illkillya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judes View Post
If some of you Boardsie people don't like the concept - start your own Social Group. Because that is what it is - a Social Group - for "like minded people".
I can never understand this way of thinking... why can't I just voice my opinion on it without having to start my own social group? Just offering my 2c on a public discussion forum, and you are applying the same false logic as AutumnDays "it seems to be working well, so therefore it is the correct approach".

Regarding the fact that your group is only for "like minded people", this is kind of what I was getting at initially. How "like minded" do you have to be? Do you want to define your entry criteria? Judes, are you implying that I'm not "like minded" simply because I voice an opinion that the group should be more open rather than having all membership privately approved by 1 guy? And because of this one slight difference, I should go and set up a whole new group?
28-11-2008, 15:28   #30
Judes

Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself........................... And you have my thoughts - which of course, I'm entitled to express too!!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion