Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-10-2008, 14:45   #1
Marathon Man

Vastus Medialis Imbalance- Exercises?

Due to favoring one of my legs after an injury, my right Vastus Medialis i.e. the big muscle on the inside of the quads, is significantly smaller than the one on the left. Due to this new irritation is occurring on the right knee. I was wondering does anyone know of any good exercises to build up this muscle?
Advertisement
19-10-2008, 18:15   #2
Ouijaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Due to favoring one of my legs after an injury, my right Vastus Medialis i.e. the big muscle on the inside of the quads, is significantly smaller than the one on the left. Due to this new irritation is occurring on the right knee. I was wondering does anyone know of any good exercises to build up this muscle?
You're on about the teardrop....Single leg extensions should help, but I get the feeling you've already tried that.
Static lunges (split squats) are better, but keep the stance more narrow than usual and push from the ball of the foot rather than the heel to hit the teardrop more. These are very effective but be careful as they can be harsh on the knees.
Also barbell hacksquats focusing on the weak leg really isolate this part of the quads.
Thanks from:
19-10-2008, 20:24   #3
Marathon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1 View Post
You're on about the teardrop....Single leg extensions should help, but I get the feeling you've already tried that.
Static lunges (split squats) are better, but keep the stance more narrow than usual and push from the ball of the foot rather than the heel to hit the teardrop more. These are very effective but be careful as they can be harsh on the knees.
Also barbell hacksquats focusing on the weak leg really isolate this part of the quads.
Yep, I've tried the extensions. I'll deffo do the other two exercises. Thanks a mill.
19-10-2008, 21:54   #4
Hanley
Because Hanley Heals...

Terminal Knee Extenstions (TKE's) are awesome for your VMO; http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.a...=33895&tid=115

Any sort of deep squat should hit it too. The one exercises where I've felt it more than anything else is doing hack squats on a machine going as deep as possible.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion