04-09-2008, 12:37   #1
serfboard

N17 Frank Fahey bypasses Claregalway - Again!!!

This guy really is the pits.

Quote:
The new road from Oranmore to Tuam will be a reality by 2010, it was announced this week. The tender process will start in early 2009 and construction will start within two years.

The news was confirmed to Fianna Fáil TD and Chairman of the Joint Oireachtas Transport Committee Frank Fahey by the Chief Executive of the National Roads Authority, Fred Barry.

Mr Barry also informed Dep Fahey that the Oranmore to Tuam motorway now provides a definite timescale for the bypass of Claregalway.

The tender process for construction of a new road from Oranmore to Tuam through a Public Private Partnership mechanism will start in early 2009 with work on the road starting within two years.

The NRA will proceed immediately with the tendering process for the Oranmore to Tuam section, to include the Tuam bypass.

The Tuam to Claremorris section of the N17 is still in the planning section and will not be submitted to An Bord Pleanála until 2009, but the NRA will proceed with the road incorporating the Oranmore to Tuam and the Tuam bypass in any case and treat the two sections as separate contracts if necessary.

Dep Fahey said the introduction of the non-tolled PPP funding mechanism has resulted in a “definite starting date” from the NRA. “In effect this means that the process will be even faster that the Galway to Dublin roadway.”

The NRA believes the Oranmore to Tuam motorway will take 80 per cent of the traffic out of Claregalway, “significantly reducing the congestion in the village”.

The Claregalway inner relief road will also proceed through the planning stage but will be subject to the local funding contribution from Galway County Council.

Deputy Fahey said the confirmation on the Oranmore to Claremorris road is “good news not only for Galway but also for the people of the entire West and Midwest of Ireland” as it will result in a dual carriageway standard roadway from Claremorris to Limerick.
He was on local radio this morning, and in fairness, the presenter prefaced his appearance by asking how many times this announcement could be made. FF then stated that the Tender process will start in Jan. 2009 and will take 2 years (->2011). Then add at least 2 years for a construction phase and that takes us to 2013. That's 4½ years away That's NOT a "reality by 2010" as the report erroneously states.

He also said that he thinks that, because of the necessity to get funding from the local council, the inner relief road will probably not happen before the other road is built - i.e. that's dead.

Of course, the other question is, how does a "non-tolled PPP" work?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-09-2008, 12:42   #2
eoinmadden

I can't believe I'm about to stick up for Frank Fahy...

In fairness, while a proper bypass of Claregalway is badly needed, the Oranmore - Tuam road will serve well as such a bypass.

The current plan that Galway County Council have for bypassing Claregalway is ridiculous because:
a) It has no funding
b) It will include 9 (nine) roundabouts
c) In true Galway CoCo fashion it is not about bypassing Claregalway, but opening up more land for housing development.
04-09-2008, 13:21   #3
dubhthach

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoinmadden View Post
The current plan that Galway County Council have for bypassing Claregalway is ridiculous because:
a) It has no funding
b) It will include 9 (nine) roundabouts
c) In true Galway CoCo fashion it is not about bypassing Claregalway, but opening up more land for housing development.
Is there any online documentation about this proposed "Inner relief road"?. I had a look at the roads & transport page on GalwayCoCo webpage but couldn't find any mention of it.
04-09-2008, 13:54   #4
eoinmadden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post
Is there any online documentation about this proposed "Inner relief road"?. I had a look at the roads & transport page on GalwayCoCo webpage but couldn't find any mention of it.
I haven't found any documentation on the Inner Relief Road.

Could it be the brown line on this map?

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/Pla...le,6873,en.pdf
04-09-2008, 14:24   #5
D.L.R.

Quote:
The new road from Oranmore to Tuam will be a reality by 2010, it was announced this week. The tender process will start in early 2009 and construction will start within two years.
Lets be clear - calling this road the "Oranmore-Tuam motorway" is a bare faced lie. It doen't go anywhere near Oranmore. The route goes from Tuam to Athenry. Not Oranmore, Claregalway, or Galway city. Athenry.

Claregalway will still need a dedicated bypass after this motorway is built, even though one road could conceivably do the lot. The M17 won't help like it should, because it effectively bypasses the Galway urban area entirely.

Last edited by D.L.R.; 04-09-2008 at 14:41.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-09-2008, 14:58   #6
Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfboard View Post
Of course, the other question is, how does a "non-tolled PPP" work?
Govt pays developer a fixed price per year depending on certain criteria inc traffic volumes.

Advantage for Govt is that they have no up front costs and it comes out of the current expenditure account as opposed to the capital account

also refered to as a "Shadow Toll"
04-09-2008, 15:00   #7
eoinmadden

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L.R. View Post
Lets be clear - calling this road the "Oranmore-Tuam motorway" is a bare faced lie. It doen't go anywhere near Oranmore. The route goes from Tuam to Athenry
Good point. I hadn't realised that. I thought it was a separate road.
04-09-2008, 15:01   #8
eoinmadden

Quote:
So what is the red line on this map?
04-09-2008, 17:27   #9
D.L.R.

Quote:
That's a separate bypass of Claregalway, shown here in black -

As you can see, the NRA's use of "Oranmore" for the M17/18 is misleading. To say the least.

Last edited by D.L.R.; 04-09-2008 at 17:45.
Advertisement
04-09-2008, 22:56   #10

Who made that diagram? Reason I'm asking is I havent heard of the N18 being built as M18, yet. Hoping it will be tho
05-09-2008, 09:43   #11
Sponge Bob
Banned

That Lying Sleeveen Frank Fahey has his very own megathread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055291863

sadly I must update it yet again . You will see that Frank just tells the slobbery 'journalists 'in Galway whatever he feels like and the dopes then regurgitate it uncritically.
05-09-2008, 12:18   #12
D.L.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_533976 View Post
Who made that diagram? Reason I'm asking is I havent heard of the N18 being built as M18, yet. Hoping it will be tho
I just labelled it M18 for clarity. Right now its planned as HQDC, so likely to become M in due course. Its still a good few years off either way.

Last edited by D.L.R.; 05-09-2008 at 12:24.
05-09-2008, 13:16   #13
dubhthach

Quote:
Interesting how it's been used to open up lots of extra land for development, which is fairly typical in this country. They obviously learnt their lesson from Loughrea and didn't try to zone the road route (and thus push up the price for NRA).
05-09-2008, 18:48   #14

This one wont be NRA. The M17 will make the current N17 a regional road, no longer under the authority of the NRA. So Galway Co Co will have to pay for this I think.
08-09-2008, 22:24   #15
galwayrush

The proposed M17 will be a white elephant, the vast majority of the traffic on the current N17 is local to Galway City and almost all the industrial areas are close to the existing N17, the M17 goes nowhere close to where it is needed most.When will people cop on and stop electing fools like Fahy who either don't care or more likely have their own hidden agenda.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion