Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-05-2008, 13:08   #46
Mickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
Please pm me if this offer is still available?
Ok I have put this special on for another week.
http://irish-lifting.com/product_inf...roducts_id=270
I have over 100 of these instock so there will be no delays in delivery...
Advertisement
19-05-2008, 13:15   #47

i got a door frame pull up bar before , the instruction said " just twist the bar and it will extented and tighten in to the dor frame" so tightened it into the door frame started doing chin ups about 10 chins in to it the bar came out of the door frame i belted my knees off the ground and couldn't train for a week,

now i know what they me when they say "no pain no gain"!
Thanks from:
19-05-2008, 21:37   #48
Imposter

Send a message via Skype™ to Imposter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee123 View Post
i got a door frame pull up bar before , the instruction said " just twist the bar and it will extented and tighten in to the dor frame" so tightened it into the door frame started doing chin ups about 10 chins in to it the bar came out of the door frame i belted my knees off the ground and couldn't train for a week,

I've one of those and i've had no problems with it!
19-05-2008, 21:45   #49
rubadub

Quote:

You did have the 2 socket things on the door frame didnt you?

You screw 2 sockets and twist the bar the ends go into them, then you twist more so it actively pushes the frame apart a little.

I have done chins on mine at 75kg with 40kg on a belt with no trouble, and mine is going into a partition wall on one side.

With all these things test well first, hang and give a light jolt. The removable ones cannot be jolted much or they will unhook themselves.
19-05-2008, 21:52   #50
hunter164

Quote:

Ye you might have wanted to screw it on to the wall first...........
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-05-2008, 02:31   #51
Tadgh78

Hello everyone! This is my first post on Boards.ie

I think these "door-loop" things from amazon look fairly good. All they appear to be is two separate plastic hand grips that hook onto the top of a door which are held in place when the door is closed. You pull yourself up by them to perform a pull-up. They're designed to be taken anywhere and have zero set up time, which is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Power...sbs_sg_title_3

They're reasonably priced and have had mostly positive reviews.Two (minor for most people) draw-backs are 1) that they chip the paintwork and might damage the top of the door slightly, (but probably not noticeably) and 2) that the pull-up you'll do with them won't quite be a conventional pull-up, as having the door closed alters and restricts the type of movements you can perform quite a bit.

I think I'm going to give them a go anyway.

They can be purchased from here;

https://www.lifelineusa.com/IW_Produ...TI_ITEM_SUBMIT

Last edited by Tadgh78; 20-05-2008 at 04:41.
20-05-2008, 12:25   #52
Mickk

I am sorry man but they are the worst idea I have ever seen! You are in Ireland yea? Do yourself a favour and just get a chinup bar in argos for a tenner, they work better than the ones in your link and will be much cheaper by the time you spend 20 dollars on them, atleast 15 shipping, import duty and vat!

The benefit of the one I sell is that you are away from the door frame, you can do normal chin ups, hammer chins, wide grip pull ups (the best back building exercise ever) and inversion work and it removes completely from the doorframe and doesn't require screwing or drilling into the doorframe like the argos one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadgh78 View Post
Hello everyone! This is my first post on Boards.ie

I think these "door-loop" things from amazon look fairly good. All they appear to be is two separate plastic hand grips that hook onto the top of a door which are held in place when the door is closed. You pull yourself up by them to perform a pull-up. They're designed to be taken anywhere and have zero set up time, which is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Power...sbs_sg_title_3

They're reasonably priced and have had mostly positive reviews.Two (minor for most people) draw-backs are 1) that they chip the paintwork and might damage the top of the door slightly, (but probably not noticeably) and 2) that the pull-up you'll do with them won't quite be a conventional pull-up, as having the door closed alters and restricts the type of movements you can perform quite a bit.

I think I'm going to give them a go anyway.

They can be purchased from here;

https://www.lifelineusa.com/IW_Produ...TI_ITEM_SUBMIT
20-05-2008, 17:48   #53
Tadgh78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickk View Post
Do yourself a favour and just get a chinup bar in argos for a tenner,
I bought that very one a couple of years ago, it was about 15 or 20 euro at the time I think, and it's the best money I ever spent on a piece of exercise equipment.

However I now want something that's portable and, just like the original poster I don't want to have to get out the screw-driver every place I set it up.

Quote:
they work better than the ones in your link and will be much cheaper by the time you spend 20 dollars on them, atleast 15 shipping, import duty and vat!
A regular chin-up bar probably would work better but as regards price; I've already ordered them and postage to Ireland was $9.99 + the price of $19.99 = $30 or about 20 euro altogether. The item will ship as a small packet and in my experience customs aren't interested until you get up to about a 100 euro value on a parcel including postage.

Quote:
The benefit of the one I sell is that you are away from the door frame, you can do normal chin ups, hammer chins, wide grip pull ups (the best back building exercise ever) and inversion work and it removes completely from the doorframe and doesn't require screwing or drilling into the door frame like the argos one.
I don't deny that that is a quality piece of equipment, but it's not exactly portable though, and it appears to require about 6 inches of clearance on both sides of the door frame, which is something a lot of people living in flats and apartments (myself included) won't have.

This is what I have to deal with;

As you can see I have no clearance on either side of the door-frame so a device like the one you are selling would appear to be out of the question for me.

I
20-05-2008, 20:02   #54
Mickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadgh78 View Post
I bought that very one a couple of years ago, it was about 15 or 20 euro at the time I think, and it's the best money I ever spent on a piece of exercise equipment.

However I now want something that's portable and, just like the original poster I don't want to have to get out the screw-driver every place I set it up.

A regular chin-up bar probably would work better but as regards price; I've already ordered them and postage to Ireland was $9.99 + the price of $19.99 = $30 or about 20 euro altogether. The item will ship as a small packet and in my experience customs aren't interested until you get up to about a 100 euro value on a parcel including postage.

I don't deny that that is a quality piece of equipment, but it's not exactly portable though, and it appears to require about 6 inches of clearance on both sides of the door frame, which is something a lot of people living in flats and apartments (myself included) won't have.

This is what I have to deal with;

As you can see I have no clearance on either side of the door-frame so a device like the one you are selling would appear to be out of the question for me.

I
Just the fact that your weight would naturally hang exactly where the door is so you have to drag yourself up a door with pretty much your whole bodyweight on your elbows. Then there is the fact that the whole weight is on the door, it would be fine for a front door but an internal door would break pretty quickly I would think... I got stung for a small pack coming in with dhl, 7 euro vat, 2 euro duty and 12.50 for dhl fee to collect cod!
Advertisement
20-05-2008, 20:09   #55
Imposter

Send a message via Skype™ to Imposter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
You did have the 2 socket things on the door frame didnt you?

You screw 2 sockets and twist the bar the ends go into them, then you twist more so it actively pushes the frame apart a little.
Mine doesn't have that.It's got hard plastic on the end which together with the force of pulling down on the thing keeps it on the doorframe. I guess if you were doing some major kipping it might be a problem but I swing quite a bit on it at about 68kg and its never come off.
21-05-2008, 20:36   #56
cmyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickk View Post
Ok I have put this special on for another week.
http://irish-lifting.com/product_inf...roducts_id=270
I have over 100 of these instock so there will be no delays in delivery...
Many thanks for running this again Mickk, just ordered one, and looking forward to trying it out!
15-10-2009, 03:35   #57
he man rugger

Found this thread on a search, I'm in two minds between one I saw in Argos that sticks between the two sides of the doorframe and the one from Irish-Lifting.com. I'm terrified that if I put one up that rests on the top of the doorframe I'll pull the top of the doorframe down with me, its not an especially weak frame but not especially strong either. I've read a few things about these wrecking the wood on the frames, how does it hold up?
15-10-2009, 14:45   #58
Tadgh78

^ Get one of the ones that screw into the door frame. They don't harm the door frame at all unless you count the holes for the screws as harm.

I have one of these, it's all you need. There are fancier ones with extra bars for different grips but when you have them up it looks like you have the frame of a bicycle bolted to your door.

I also tried the ones that consists of two seperate "hand loops". They hook over the top of the door itself and are held in place just by friction. They weren't a sucess at all, and did mark the top of the door quite noticably.
15-10-2009, 23:17   #59
he man rugger

Got one of them in Argos this evening, the bloody things to hold it in place don't really fit any of my doors now, well they do but barely and theres little leeway between the edge of the door frame and the last screw that would go in, I'll give it a try tomorrow but might just try to find extra long screws to go further into the frame to compensate.
22-12-2009, 19:27   #60
Jimmy Bottlehead

Yo yo.

Seen in Supervalu this evening they have the Iron Gym bar. Checked reviews, seems a good buy, but sadly the box was open and was missing parts. Gutted as it was only €20.

Anyways long story short, does anywhere in Dublin sell them? Or a chin up bar that you don't have to 'install'? If so I'd be picking it up tomorrow.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion