Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-06-2007, 11:54   #1
ainemolloy1

Anybody did SF Bess last year?

Hello All,

Thought I'd do a bit of swotting over the summer as I learned last year that what with working part time , I can't fit it all in.

To that end I got the ''Economy of Ireland'' book, ''Financial Accounting'' book,
and the ''Organizational Behaviour'' book.

Anybody know what chapters were covered in the year just gone?

thanks in advance
Advertisement
01-06-2007, 12:14   #2
mizz.yelof!!!

Send a message via MSN to mizz.yelof!!!
dont do econ of ireland so cant help there but as regards org bahaviour basically the whole book was covered. but specific attention was paid to chapers on motivation, job design, leadership. fellenz does his course paying no attention to the book or the way the chapters fall because as youll see after reading it it is all linked together
01-06-2007, 13:19   #3
Moorsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizz.yelof!!!
there but as regards org bahaviour basically the whole book was covered.

Organisation Behvaiour: No it wasn't, chapters 1 to 10 were covered and then the section on 'job motivation' in chapter 11. Basicallt the first two out of three sections of the book.

Accounting: All Chapters were covered looking at Profit and Loss, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow and Ratios being the most important.
01-06-2007, 13:22   #4
Moorsy

Indicative Course Plan and Associated Readings (Part I)

MT Week 1: Overview of the course and course mechanics; Introduction to management and organisational behaviour
Fromm, E. 1976. Having and Being in Daily Experience, pp. 37 - 44, in To Have or To Be?, New York: Harper & Row.
Vecchio, Ch 1 & 2

MT Week 2: Individuals in organisations; Learning theory (Please note: No lecture on Monday, October 16, 2006)
Vecchio, Ch 3

MT Week 3: Motivation and performance
Vecchio, Ch 4

MT Week 4: Motivation II; Groups;
Vecchio, Ch 5; Section on Job Satisfaction in Chapter 11
Vecchio, Ch 9

MT Week 5: Reading Week (no office hours)

MT Week 6: Decision making; Leadership
Vecchio, Ch 8

MT Week 7: Power, Influence & politics
Vecchio, Ch 7
Vecchio, Ch 6

MT Week 8: Conflict management; Organisational justice
Vecchio, Ch 10

MT Week 9: Integration
01-06-2007, 13:36   #5
Danger Bob

For Economy of Ireland, the lecturer is the book's author. He basically covers the whole book with two chapters being optional. If you want to really get into the subject, it's a good idea to just sit down over a weekend and read it cover to cover. I hated the subject until Christmas of my SF year and then read it over a number of car journeys and breaks from work and it ended up being my favourite subject and my best result. Also, if you do Schols and you're good at it, I've heard there's a very realistic possibility of getting a first in it. Schols students may correct me there if I'm wrong.
Advertisement
01-06-2007, 22:45   #6
Awayindahils

Send a message via MSN to Awayindahils Send a message via Skype™ to Awayindahils
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Bob
For Economy of Ireland, the lecturer is the book's author. He basically covers the whole book with two chapters being optional. If you want to really get into the subject, it's a good idea to just sit down over a weekend and read it cover to cover. I hated the subject until Christmas of my SF year and then read it over a number of car journeys and breaks from work and it ended up being my favourite subject and my best result. Also, if you do Schols and you're good at it, I've heard there's a very realistic possibility of getting a first in it. Schols students may correct me there if I'm wrong.

Nope you're right. I think all of this years BESS schols did economics, and they all did very well in economy of ireland. it'll make you cry at times its soo boring, but it's not difficult, you just need to find some part which interests you.
02-06-2007, 00:46   #7
shay_562

Send a message via MSN to shay_562
Can't add much to what's been said, really - you might want to look at Fellenz's notes on the business intranet (www.sfbusiness.webexone.com), but you'll need a registration code to access that and I can't remember it. Anyone else out there remember it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerBob
Also, if you do Schols and you're good at it, I've heard there's a very realistic possibility of getting a first in it. Schols students may correct me there if I'm wrong.
Even if you're mediocre, O'Hagan is very kind when marking Schols papers, so a 2.1 is likely (which is very handy when aiming for exemptions)
03-06-2007, 15:38   #8
ainemolloy1

That's great, much obliged everyone!!!

That's great, much obliged everyone!!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size