Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-04-2007, 14:12   #1
Macca206

Dublin Auctions

Can anyone recommend an auction in Dublin please? Im toying with the idea of buying cheap stuff in bulk at auctions in Dublin and reselling on ebay. I was thinking something small that I could store easily and maybe make a small bit on postage as well.

Has anyone/does anyone on here do that?

Any feedback?

Anything to look out for?

Anything that sells well?
Advertisement
30-04-2007, 16:00   #2
jor el
Closed Account

You're really going to need to know what you intend to buy/sell before doing this. Small cheap items that sell well on eBay would be things like mobile phones and mp3 players. You won't buy these cheap in Ireland though unless they're broken, crap or stolen. All the cheapest electronics gear on eBay comes from HK, not always great quality though.

Cheap stuff often means tack that nobody wants so you may end up with a load of stuff you can't sell. The only public auctions I'm aware of are usually run in Hotels on a Sunday afternoon (you'll see ads in Buy and Sell all the time) and they just sell really cheap, often damaged, crap and get everyone into a bidding frenzy so they can fleece you. They deal mostly in household goods, TV's, video, DVD, small furniture items, etc. I wouldn't recommend you go to any of these though, not at all good value.

The only other kind of auction I've heard about are when a company goes into liquidation and another company comes in to sell off all their stock. Having been to one of these and seeing people paying up to €1000 for a broken laptop I quickly realised that auctions are not for amateurs. You can find bargain pallets of stuff at these auctions but you do need to keep your wits about you. Dovebid are a company that do this so you could Google for Dovebid and Ireland to see if there is anything coming up.
30-04-2007, 16:11   #3
Macca206

Thanks..Ive been toying with the idea of importing goods from China such as cables and reselling on ebay as id reckon many wouldnt trade with China simply as they think its dodgy (the downside is that they often are dodgy and i could be the one ripped off).

Ive came across Wilson auctions Dublin so will go along and see what the story is..probably not buying anything on ym 1st visit till I get the feel of it.
30-04-2007, 19:16   #4
magnumlady

Mod: Sligo
I've always thought that you could make money from going over to Wales stocking up on things from car boot sales (dead cheap) and reselling them here. Only trouble is most of it would be second hand.
30-04-2007, 19:32   #5
horgan_p
General Dogsbody

you'd be surprised. the 2nd hand thing doesn't have the same stigma in the u.k. as it does here.

personally my plan is to buy in euro and sell in sterling and hope to bring in the bidders looking for euro priced bargains.

my first sale ends tonight and the tension is mounting

a couple of watchers who i reckon (hope) will start sniping the auction between themselves. my costs are covered already and i'm more interested in building feedback than making pots of cash just now
Advertisement
30-04-2007, 20:46   #6
magnumlady

Mod: Sligo
Quote:
Originally Posted by horgan_p
you'd be surprised. the 2nd hand thing doesn't have the same stigma in the u.k. as it does here.

personally my plan is to buy in euro and sell in sterling and hope to bring in the bidders looking for euro priced bargains.

my first sale ends tonight and the tension is mounting

a couple of watchers who i reckon (hope) will start sniping the auction between themselves. my costs are covered already and i'm more interested in building feedback than making pots of cash just now
Yeah thats true about the stigma.

Best of luck with the selling on ebay, its great fun.
05-05-2007, 21:48   #7
old boy

wilsons are ok to deal with, just make shure that you listen carefully to the auctioneers discriptions, it will take a few weeks to get the hang of it, just listen and learn, watch also for the guys that buy diff items, put you own value on things, do not go over that, also guys that buy certain items, do not make stuff 2 dear on them, salute them when you pass, ask them hows biz, the 1 day you can say i would like to buy item no +++ and it yours
07-05-2007, 13:24   #8
Macca206

Quote:
Originally Posted by old boy
wilsons are ok to deal with, just make shure that you listen carefully to the auctioneers discriptions, it will take a few weeks to get the hang of it, just listen and learn, watch also for the guys that buy diff items, put you own value on things, do not go over that, also guys that buy certain items, do not make stuff 2 dear on them, salute them when you pass, ask them hows biz, the 1 day you can say i would like to buy item no +++ and it yours
Thanks.. are there any similar auctions to Wilsons?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion