Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

27-04-2006, 13:04   #1
Jonnie_Onion

Paid monthly in arrears?

Starting a new job near the end of May. It says in my contract that I am paid on the 27th of each month in arrears. Does this mean I'll get paid for a full month on June 27th plus the little extra for May?
Advertisement
27-04-2006, 13:16   #2
Ste.phen

in theory you should be paid at the end of May, but in practice they may not have time to get you on the payroll correctly, so you'd get paid at the end of June like you suggested
27-04-2006, 13:18   #3
Jonnie_Onion

Well, I'll be starting after the 27th of May, so I won't be around for that payday. Once I'm paid for the month of June on June 27th though it's all good.
27-04-2006, 22:14   #4
TheNog

An example of being paid in arrears is from my last job. We were paid on the 22nd of every month with a cut off date of the 10th of the month.

paid on - 22nd April
Period paid - 11th March-10th April
27-04-2006, 23:16   #5
Stark

Send a message via AIM to Stark
It depends totally on the employers. Some will pay you for the whole month even though you're paid before the end of the month.

Eg: Start June, get paid June 27th, paid from start date to June 30th.

Of course, that's assuming they can be bothered putting you on the system in good time, you could end up waiting until July 27th to be paid. (And if they're like my employer, be ****ed over by being taxed for the two months as if it was a month's pay).

If that does happen, demand an advance.
Advertisement
28-04-2006, 00:56   #6
Jonnie_Onion

Yeah, looks like I'll have to verify this. Can't afford to have a rake of Direct Debits come back unpaid.
28-04-2006, 01:36   #7
Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNog
An example of being paid in arrears is from my last job. We were paid on the 22nd of every month with a cut off date of the 10th of the month.

paid on - 22nd April
Period paid - 11th March-10th April
This is how it's done in my job. A cut-off date last month was 16th April and we will got paid for that on the 26th.
28-04-2006, 08:10   #8
WhiteWashMan

Send a message via AIM to WhiteWashMan Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteWashMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie_Onion
Starting a new job near the end of May. It says in my contract that I am paid on the 27th of each month in arrears. Does this mean I'll get paid for a full month on June 27th plus the little extra for May?
it means you will get paid in may for what you worked in may.

i used to get paid on the 6th of the month, for work i was still to do for that month.

made leaving a job very difficult when you have to work for a month for moeny already received, and then work another month to get money in arrears!
28-04-2006, 10:09   #9
Jonnie_Onion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWashMan
it means you will get paid in may for what you worked in may.

i used to get paid on the 6th of the month, for work i was still to do for that month.

made leaving a job very difficult when you have to work for a month for moeny already received, and then work another month to get money in arrears!
I'm in the same situation, paid on the 10th. They won't pay me for my last month here until my final day, by cheque. Guess they're worried I'll sod off with a months wages.
Advertisement
28-04-2006, 14:04   #10
matthew111

If you are paid by month it is a rip-off anyway.A calendar year got 12 months or 52 weeks.Lets say you are paid €500/week or €2000/month.Now 52 weeks multiple with €500 is much more than 12 months multiple with €2000 isn't it
28-04-2006, 14:40   #11
MrPudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew111
If you are paid by month it is a rip-off anyway.A calendar year got 12 months or 52 weeks.Lets say you are paid €500/week or €2000/month.Now 52 weeks multiple with €500 is much more than 12 months multiple with €2000 isn't it
Generally how it is worked out is that they will take your weekly rate and multiply it by 52 and then divide it by 12. Then it all works out sweet.

MrP
07-08-2009, 16:56   #12
beegeeblueboy

You will not be overtaxed. You will have both the June and July tax free pay to use

==================================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
It depends totally on the employers. Some will pay you for the whole month even though you're paid before the end of the month.

Eg: Start June, get paid June 27th, paid from start date to June 30th.

Of course, that's assuming they can be bothered putting you on the system in good time, you could end up waiting until July 27th to be paid. (And if they're like my employer, be ****ed over by being taxed for the two months as if it was a month's pay).

If that does happen, demand an advance.
07-08-2009, 16:57   #13
beegeeblueboy

Just imagine being paid on the nearest to the sixth (or after) for the previous month. Now that is taking a liberty.
07-08-2009, 23:53   #14
GoneShootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegeeblueboy View Post
Just imagine being paid on the nearest to the sixth (or after) for the previous month. Now that is taking a liberty.
Just imagine digging up a thread that's over two years old. Now that is taking a of the piss.

Thread Closed