Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feel like you don't belong in Ireland?

Options
  • 07-06-2021 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

This video just makes me so sad. The way the good weather brings out the worst in so many people in this country is awful. The litter left behind and the noise caused to local residents.

I often wonder do I belong in a different culture like Scandinavia or Japan where you would have more friendship opportunities outside of alcohol consumption. I know not everyone was in this state today but I saw first hand plenty who were.
    https://twitter.com/fogaratigh/status/1401666027331768329?s=20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They are just scummers, in a civilised society the taxi driver would have a hand gun and wipe them out and be given the keys to Dublin City to graze his/hers sheep as a hero. In Ireland with the Greens in power the car driver would get a €700 fine for speeding away as emissions were unfriendly to the local daffodils.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I don’t know what our exact population is but I reckon it’s around the 4.5 mil mark. So you are taking about tiny percentages.
    And you might need to live in one of those societies you speak of before making your decision there are pros and cons. Don’t make a snap decision based on a few scrotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

They are just scummers, in a civilised society the taxi driver would have a hand gun and wipe them out and be given the keys to Dublin City to graze his/hers sheep as a hero. In Ireland with the Greens in power the car driver would get a €700 fine for speeding away as emissions were unfriendly to the local daffodils.

Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

More of them need a nice swift impact with the tarmac like the lad in the video. Talking of Scandinavia and Japan in the OP however, there is a reason behind why they have such high suicide rates. Nowhere are there perfect, harmonious societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

Yeah op I am not looking forward to the future. I would tend to be slightly pessimistic at times but the younger crowd coming up don't seem to have much personal responsibility for their actions. They seem to have a victim mentality and are always questioning authority.

• Advertisement
    M

Moghead wrote: »
    Weird.

But what they have us living through, grants allowed for people having wood burning stoves in built up areas. The Bannon dickhead promoting such living on RTE each week, he should be before a war crimes tribuinal for promoting damage to people's health. It's ok in Ballybackofmehole but not ok in built up areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

But what they have us living through, grants allowed for people having wood burning stoves in built up areas. The Bannon dickhead promoting such living on RTE each week, he should be before a war crimes tribuinal for promoting damage to people's health. It's ok in Ballybackofmehole but not ok in built up areas.

This is the posting equivalent of jumping on a taxi while wearing a grey tracksuit and Canada Goose puffer jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Would have liked to have seen the driver do something like this..

https://twitter.com/Xeriland/status/1396435239342419971

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Excellent..

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Biologists used to believe that human evolution had stopped.

If you are of a fraternity, have multiple kids of the same mentality, and so on and so forth... and are rewarded for your endeavours, that's evolution, and you will increase in numbers.

If you are middle class, that pays the taxes and has 2 kids by caution/consideration. Then your fraternity, that finances the other, will diminish, and an equilibrium will develop, and the other fraternities will also demise.

vis-à-vis feed the monster and it will get bigger:)

• Advertisement
    M

Yurt! wrote: »
    This is the posting equivalent of jumping on a taxi while wearing a grey tracksuit and Canada Goose puffer jacket.

Clothing irrelevant, the srote/stotess should be bankrolling repairs to the car in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Clothing irrelevant, the srote/stotess should be bankrolling repairs to the car in full.

You forgot to work vehicle emissions standards into your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Vast majority agree, so you do seem to belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Be the change you want to see in the world.

We, as a people/culture seem to totally lack self control. And this is not a new trend, IMO. We've always been this way. Look at what happened when we got access to a bit of credit in the noughties, for example. Everyone thought they were millionaires, driving jeeps, buying property abroad, etc.

Nothing about the video surprises me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Definitely feel like I belong elsewhere, like Spain, Turkey, Greece, or anywhere with a warmer climate :)

Scorchio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

biko wrote: »
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

I'm sure going on a "Falling Down" style walk through Dublin City wouldn't end well.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 32 waterfordwendy

Galway last night, the council put in new bins to stop to littering near the river and canals and this is the intelligence that followed.

https://twitter.com/galway_together/status/1401820796557873154?s=20

Galway last night, the council put in new bins to stop to littering near the river and canals and this is the intelligence that followed.

Probably the same people who virtue signal about the environment on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Them and the taxi crowd need to be taken by the riot squad down an alleyway and get an almighty hiding. This happens a couple of times and it will stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In all honesty, this post makes me feel like I don't belong just as much as that shocking video in the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think you're mixing up lawyers with the Green party there. Lawyers keep the revolving door of the criminal justice system turning for their benefit. I don't think the Greens are endorsing gobshítes.

This video just makes me so sad. The way the good weather brings out the worst in so many people in this country is awful. The litter left behind and the noise caused to local residents.

I often wonder do I belong in a different culture like Scandinavia or Japan where you would have more friendship opportunities outside of alcohol consumption. I know not everyone was in this state today but I saw first hand plenty who were.
    https://twitter.com/fogaratigh/status/1401666027331768329?s=20

Their only youngsters egging each other on.....like ya feel bad for the taxi driver etc

Few weeks and it'll be out of virtually all of their systems,any wildness or meeting up been banned with year and half.....let em blow off some steam ffs,....(less of the wreaking cars/private property though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The worst thing about the video is the absolutely horrific dress sense particularly of the women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Their only youngsters egging each other on.....like ya feel bad for the taxi driver etc

Few weeks and it'll be out of virtually of their systems,any wildness or meeting up been banned with year and half.....let em blow off some steam ffs,....(less of the wreaking cars/private property though)

Only blowing off steam :rolleyes:

You obviusly live somewhere far away from these type of people to be typing this. We all blew off steam as teenagers but would never think to be as brazen as these little violent scummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah god luv de kids, they dont have no faciliteeeees. Bless dere harts. Dont be judgin dem.

Mimon wrote: »
    Only blowing off steam :rolleyes:

You obviusly live somewhere far away from these type of people to be typing this. We all blew off steam as teenagers but would never think to be as brazen as these little violent scummers.

their doing no worse,than what i seen lads do when i that age.....we all mostly turned out fine

Charge/make em pay for damage to private property,its only fair (ie pay panel beater fee for damage to taxi)....

but people been under some pretty severe restrictions last year and bit,theyve scraficed a massive percent of their youth/social and normal life....

This was always gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

boombang wrote: »
    I think you're mixing up lawyers with the Green party there. Lawyers keep the revolving door of the criminal justice system turning for their benefit. I don't think the Greens are endorsing gobshítes.

Maybe not endorsing them per se, but here's Rip Van Winkle AKA Eamon Ryan's take on the situation:

https://www.thejournal.ie/eamon-ryan-public-order-5459663-Jun2021/

Yeah, it's the Gardaí who need to be questioned here, not the delinquents. Imagine how demoralising that is to read if you are a Garda in the midst of having glass bottles thrown at you in the course of doing your job and you hear that waffle?

There is a huge appetite from the public for more stringent powers where it comes to juvenile crime. How often do you hear about young adults up in court having racked up 30 or 40 previous convictions?
    We must start tackling the issue head on before it gets to that stage. Unfortunately, the appetite to do this is not coming from the political parties, so I have no idea how it'll ever get any better and in fact, may only continue to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

their doing no worse,than what i seen lads do when i that age.....we all mostly turned out fine

Charge/make em pay for damage to private property,its only fair (ie pay panel beater fee for damage to taxi)....

but people been under some pretty severe restrictions last year and bit,theyve scraficed a massive percent of their youth/social and normal life....

Ah, would you ever g'way outta that?

The lads around my way haven't sacrificed anything, they were still congregating in large groups, knacker drinking, having parties etc.

What aspect of under 18's lives have been sacrificed exactly? Not like they were going to pubs/clubs/restaurants before the pandemic was it? In fact, they had loads of extra time off school to get up to whatever they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I'm just thinking how that taxi driver feels about it.. It's not only about the damage to his car..

Advertisement