Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New 365 online website

Options
  • 15-01-2021 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi, I have just used the new 365 online website and really don't like it. The previous version was much better. It now takes several clicks to see details of all of my accounts where the previous version showed everything on a single screen.

When clicking on items, the delay in screen refresh is really noticeable.

If I wanted to see latest transactions for my accounts, I would just click the + icon and see the information. Now I have to click around several times to see the information.

I also like how the transfer funds/pay a bill option was at the top of the main view in the old version. 

Before, once I logged in, I could pay something from the main screen. Now I have to:

Payments --> Send Money or Pay a bill --> Select account

Whereas before, I just did this via the Quick Transfer.

I understand that you needed to upgrade for 2FA authentication but you should have left the feature set and navigation the same.

It's my opinion that you have taken a very good web application and made it really bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WadeWatts

Agree entirely with this. Sacrificed so much functionality and ease of use just to try and make it more "modern". 

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Casher

I just logged into Boards to say the same thing. Just tried using the website and found it very clunky. Having to go into a separate screen to make payments and also needing to have my phone open beside me to approve the payment. Notifications weren't being received by my phone so I had to keep going to the log-in screen of my app to approve the payment. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi, I have just used the new 365 online website and really don't like it. The previous version was much better. It now takes several clicks to see details of all of my accounts where the previous version showed everything on a single screen.

When clicking on items, the delay in screen refresh is really noticeable.

If I wanted to see latest transactions for my accounts, I would just click the + icon and see the information. Now I have to click around several times to see the information.

I also like how the transfer funds/pay a bill option was at the top of the main view in the old version. 

Before, once I logged in, I could pay something from the main screen. Now I have to:

Payments --> Send Money or Pay a bill --> Select account

Whereas before, I just did this via the Quick Transfer.

I understand that you needed to upgrade for 2FA authentication but you should have left the feature set and navigation the same.

It's my opinion that you have taken a very good web application and made it really bad.
    Hi terenurebob

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience of the new site. 

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with the new layout. We have changed this to align the customer view on both the full website and the App.

We very much appreciate your feedback today and will ensure your comments and concerns are passed to our Online Development Team.

Thanks again for posting ,

Alison

Ya, it's a tad bizarre that it somehow has a slow login. I would say there's more pressing issues than updating the UI. Eg things like deposit account statements aren't available online, a physical copy needs to be ordered. Added security is good but the overall features are very poor.

Hi All, 

Thanks for joining the thread. 

Thanks so much for the feedback on the new site. Just a reminder that the phone is needed for PSD2 requirements. We will be passing on your experiences to our Online Development Team. 

Many thanks
    Alison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I take a more nuanced view on this tbh, working in web development world. People despise change, any change even the slightest change.
    Just logged in to the site to see what its like solely based on this thread. I had not known it was changing today.

Its clear, Its well laid out, Its far less busy. Navigation is across the top.

Frankly and no offense to anyone here , but you'd want to be a bit slow not to be able to navigate the new site.

The old one was too busy, tiny writing, It looked its age and tbh it was simply not user friendly. I knew my way around purely because i was used to it over time. Crap experience.

Decent effort by your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Can you please indicate a timeframe for the introduction the of physical security device for customers who do not have access the the BOI App?  Also, will online banking continue to be available to customers without the App until such time as the physical security device has been made available?

listermint wrote: »
    I take a more nuanced view on this tbh, working in web development world. People despise change, any change even the slightest change.
    Just logged in to the site to see what its like solely based on this thread. I had not known it was changing today.

Frankly and no offense to anyone here , but you'd want to be a bit slow not to be able to navigate the new site.

The old one was too busy, tiny writing, It looked its age and tbh it was simply not user friendly. I knew my way around purely because i was used to it over time. Crap experience.

Thank Listermint for joining the thread. 

We're delighted to hear you're liking the new layout on the site and finding it easy to navigate. 

Thanks for taking the time to share this with today, we'll certainly pass this onto the Online Team. 

Alison

Maidhci wrote: »
    Can you please indicate a timeframe for the introduction the of physical security device for customers who do not have access the the BOI App?  Also, will online banking continue to be available to customers without the App until such time as the physical security device has been made available?
    Hi Maidhci

Thanks for joining the thread. 

We have answered some queries relating to this here 

Please be assured, we will be in touch with customers prior to the further changes to the site. 

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

I am not saying it doesn't look nice. I'm saying it now takes 4 clicks now to do what used to take 1 click. UX has degraded in my opinion. As a web app dev for the last 20 years, I know how important UX and responsive pages are.

The old site looked old for sure and needed an upgrade. The issue I have is that features were left out of the redesign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ve been using the new App since it’s launch and love that all my User IDs (I have several business and personal accounts) are accessible with a single click.

Desktop version I still have to input my User ID - why hasn’t this progressed?

Why do I need to have my App open to access the desktop version, yet I can access the App without any further verification?

In short, App better, Desktop still needs work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

I’ve been using the new App since it’s launch and love that all my User IDs (I  have several business and personal accounts) are accessible with a single click.

Desktop version I still have to input my User ID - why hasn’t this progressed?

Why do I need to have my App open to access the desktop version, yet I can access the App without any further verification?

In short, App better, Desktop still needs work.
    Good afternoon,

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

I am delighted to hear you are happy with the new app. To comply with European regulations, you will need an extra form of identification when using online banking. This is called Strong Customer Authentication (SCA).

SCA links your smartphone to your online banking access. When you attempt to log in through the website, you will receive a push notification to your phone to approve access. This is an added layer of security.

I hope this information helps and clarifies!

Have a nice day and take care.

Many thanks,
    Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭joeirish

Why do I need two devices when using my laptop/desktop to log in (the laptop and another security device)? and not when using just my mobile?. Surely there is more risk of my mobile being lost or stolen and then used to log in to my account than having my laptop/desktop stolen and the same thing happening. If you say SCA is needed then surely it is needed for the most vulnerable of devices? And what happens if I am using my laptop/desktop because my mobile is out of charge or not working for some reason? I can't then use the verification process that goes to my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience of the new site. 

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with the new layout. We have changed this to align the customer view on both the full website and the App.

We very much appreciate your feedback today and will ensure your comments and concerns are passed to our Online Development Team.

Thanks again for posting ,

Alison
    Are BOI aware that the App is ****? That it has a rating lower than 2 stars? That customers hate it?

Or is there some desperate manager responsible for the 1bn+ spend cheerleeding for it with a megaphone to avoid getting sacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

The new website is totally designed for a mobile device. Look how much of the screen is used by the website, its like viewing a mobile app emulation on a widescreen monitor. I get that you want to modernise the look and feel of the website, but please utilise full screen space. You are using 33% of the screen. I have to scroll down to see all services, whilst everything would fit easily on the screen if the space was used efficiently. This design makes no sense. 

You're a website developer and you think the website is well laid out? I guess we found the root cause then of poor website design in Ireland. If you think the new website is well laid out when I have to scroll down to see all content when there is at least 50% white space on the screen not used. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

joeirish wrote: »
    Why do I need two devices when using my laptop/desktop to log in (the laptop and another security device)? and not when using just my mobile?. Surely there is more risk of my mobile being lost or stolen and then used to log in to my account than having my laptop/desktop stolen and the same thing happening. If you say SCA is needed then surely it is needed for the most vulnerable of devices? And what happens if I am using my laptop/desktop because my mobile is out of charge or not working for some reason? I can't then use the verification process that goes to my mobile.
    Hi Joeirish, 

Thanks for your post. We have responded to your other query in your other thread.

EU Regulations have been introduced that affect all banks. Additional security is now required when you log in on 365Online or carry out certain transactions. Along with your 365 pin, we'll send you a notification to your security device to confirm that it is you logging in to your account. 

We have attached a link with some more information here.

We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Richard

Hi Joeirish, 

Thanks for your post. We have responded to your other query in your other thread.

EU Regulations have been introduced that affect all banks. Additional security is now required when you log in on 365Online or carry out certain transactions. Along with your 365 pin, we'll send you a notification to your security device to confirm that it is you logging in to your account. 

We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Richard
    That doesn't answer his question though. He is asking why he needs 2 devices when logging in from a PC, but he only needs one device when logging in from a mobile device. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hi,

I cant get into 365online on my laptop, it says

[color=var(--heading-color)]This site can’t be reached[/color]

www.365online.com refused to connect.

any ideas?

Poncke wrote: »
    The new website is totally designed for a mobile device. Look how much of the screen is used by the website, its like viewing a mobile app emulation on a widescreen monitor. I get that you want to modernise the look and feel of the website, but please utilise full screen space. You are using 33% of the screen. I have to scroll down to see all services, whilst everything would fit easily on the screen if the space was used efficiently. This design makes no sense. 

That's awful. Genuinely terrible. Not even close to "responsive design" principles. But then, I'm sure the same team making a balls of the app are now in charge of making a balls of the site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

So, several comments relating to this new approach.

Clunky is not even close, why was it not possible to use the same sort of validation that's been used by a wide range of service, send a code via text messaging to the device, as this is right now, it's messy, clunky, and more annoying, I have to open the app on the mobile device to access the swipe, and it then leaves the app open on the phone, at the login page, which means more messing around to close the app, as there's no automatic close on Android, I have to go into phone management to make sure the phone app is actually closed. Given that quite a bit of the log in data is being stored by the phone, I see this as a compromise of security, in that I'm 2 steps in to the 3 to log on automatically, and there's no check if the phone is being used in the reverse direction, so double protection is a bit meaningless for people with the phone app as well.

Then there's the errors in the app. On the laptop, if I go into the user profile to look at the devices, according to the information returned, my device is supposedly the mobile, even though I am logged in on the laptop. That's WRONG, in so many ways, and should never have got through testing. This looks very much like a pretty simplistic port of the mobile app into the browser, with acres of wasted white space that could have been much more appropriately used to reduce the number of screen switches.

According to the system, there are 2 devices for validation, one is ** Mobile, the other is ** Samsung. It's not at all clear what the second device is, I know that the ** Mobile is my phone, as there is the associated number, so what's the second device.

Apart from the fact that some serious updates were desperately needed years ago, it's a massive pity that what's come out seems to be very much a compromise to reduce the support load, as it seems to be basically the mobile app running in a web skin.

Hopefully, the relevant people that are responsible for the development will take on board some of the issues that seem to have come through without being caught in the testing

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Poncke wrote: »
    Hi Joeirish, 

We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Richard
    That doesn't answer his question though. He is asking why he needs 2 devices when logging in from a PC, but he only needs one device when logging in from a mobile device. 
    Hi Poncke,

As you would need to provision your mobile phone as a security device by receiving a code to your phone, this would be one of the steps of two factor authentication. If your phone was lost or stolen, it would be necessary to get in touch with our lost & stolen team on ROI Freephone 1800946764. 

Thanks,
    Richard

bangkok wrote: »
    Hi,

any ideas?
    We're sorry to hear this Bangkok,

Can we ask you to try log in here to see if you receive the same error message?

Can we also ask you to see if this works on a different browser?

Thanks,
    Richard

So, several comments relating to this new approach.

Clunky is not even close, why was it not possible to use the same sort of validation that's been used by a wide range of service, send a code via text messaging to the device, as this is right now, it's messy, clunky, and more annoying, I have to open the app on the mobile device to access the swipe, and it then leaves the app open on the phone, at the login page, which means more messing around to close the app, as there's no automatic close on Android, I have to go into phone management to make sure the phone app is actually closed. Given that quite a bit of the log in data is being stored by the phone, I see this as a compromise of security, in that I'm 2 steps in to the 3 to log on automatically, and there's no check if the phone is being used in the reverse direction, so double protection is a bit meaningless for people with the phone app as well.

Then there's the errors in the app. On the laptop, if I go into the user profile to look at the devices, according to the information returned, my device is supposedly the mobile, even though I am logged in on the laptop. That's WRONG, in so many ways, and should never have got through testing. This looks very much like a pretty simplistic port of the mobile app into the browser, with acres of wasted white space that could have been much more appropriately used to reduce the number of screen switches.

According to the system, there are 2 devices for validation, one is ** Mobile, the other is ** Samsung. It's not at all clear what the second device is, I know that the ** Mobile is my phone, as there is the associated number, so what's the second device.

Apart from the fact that some serious updates were desperately needed years ago, it's a massive pity that what's come out seems to be very much a compromise to reduce the support load, as it seems to be basically the mobile app running in a web skin.

Hopefully, the relevant people that are responsible for the development will take on board some of the issues that seem to have come through without being caught in the testing
    Hi Irish Steve,

Thanks for this feedback, we really appreciate all customer feedback both positive and negative and rest assured we'll share this with the development team.

If your phone was lost or stolen, it would be necessary to get in touch with our lost & stolen team on ROI Freephone 1800946764. If you also do not recognize this second device for validation, we would recommend linking in with our team on 0818200362. One of our colleagues will be happy to help with this.

Thanks again,
    Richard

Hi,

any ideas?

Thanks,
    Richard
    when i clicked on that link you sent i get this..

[color=var(--heading-color)]Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.365online.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). [url=chrome-error://chromewebdata/#]Learn more[/url]
    [color=var(--error-code-color)]NET::ERR_CERT_REVOKED[/color][/color]
    Reload
    Hide advanced
    www.365online.com normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Google Chrome tried to connect to www.365online.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be www.365online.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Google Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.
    You cannot visit www.365online.com right now because its certificate has been revoked. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

i tried internet explorer than and it says "this site is not secure"

so cant get in at all using chrome or internet explorer

Hi,

any ideas?

Thanks,
    Richard

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.365online.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). [url=chrome-error://chromewebdata/#]Learn more[/url]
    Reload
    Hide advanced
    www.365online.com normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Google Chrome tried to connect to www.365online.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be www.365online.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Google Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.
    You cannot visit www.365online.com right now because its certificate has been revoked. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

Thanks for sharing this with us today. We're sorry to hear this. If there is an option to "reload" we would ask you to select this and hopefully it will allow you to log in. Rest assured our development team are looking into this and we will provide an update as soon as one becomes available.

Thanks,
    Richard

Hi,

any ideas?

Thanks,
    Richard

Reload
    Hide advanced

Thanks for sharing this with us today. We're sorry to hear this. If there is an option to "reload" we would ask you to select this and hopefully it will allow you to log in. Rest assured our development team are looking into this and we will provide an update as soon as one becomes available.

Thanks,
    Richard
    yea tried everything, reload, advanced etc etc, in chrome, internet explorer, no joy

Given that the mobile app is plagued with bugs where it doesn't recognise pin entry, or crashes during validation, or fails to complete a login, or sends a text after a login that says you're about to be locked out, why would anyone risk switching to the new website which requires two factor authentication in the app?

And what use is two factor authentication when the authentication is a swipe? Why isn't it biometric?

Reload
    Hide advanced

Quality work there. Can't even maintain a security certificate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Thanks for getting back to us bangkok. We've had similar queries regarding the message on Google Chrome and have raised this with our support team and will get back to you here as soon as we have an update. Can you please check that you have the most up to date version of IE as we haven't received of issues accessing 365 via this browser. 

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement