Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrong Iban

• 02-12-2020 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭

Hi, Is it possible to check who owns an IBAN? An elderly relative has been waiting on a refund and it appears to have been paid into an ICS account in Dublin rather than her own account. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

chasm wrote: »
    Hi, Is it possible to check who owns an IBAN? An elderly relative has been waiting on a refund and it appears to have been paid into an ICS account in Dublin rather than her own account. 

Try this link

https://www.iban.com/

Rereading your post it looks like you want to know the name of the account holder that link wont help you in that case. Sry. It will give you the bank , branch and contact number for the bank though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

Car99 wrote: »

Try this link

https://www.iban.com/

Rereading your post it looks like you want to know the name of the account holder that link wont help you in that case. Sry. It will give you the bank , branch and contact number for the bank though
    Thanks, I know the IBAN of the account that received the payment is correct and i know it is a bank in another county, i just want to find out if it belongs to an individual or a company. The Company that refunded the money say that they paid the refund into the IBAN they were given, but that isn't my relative's IBAN, relative is adamant they gave correct iban. The IBAN is showing as the ICS in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi Chasm, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today. I'm afraid we would only be in a position to confirm the name on the account if it was the account holder that got in touch. We would not be in a position to provide the account name to a third party for Data Protection reasons. 

I hope this clarifies this further for you. 

Thanks Jen

Hi Chasm, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today. I'm afraid we would only be in a position to confirm the name on the account if it was the account holder that got in touch. We would not be in a position to provide the account name to a third party for Data Protection reasons. 

Thanks Jen
    Thanks, it turns out this was an old account belonging to my relative that was closed a few years ago. What is the best way to proceed with this to get the money transferred to the correct account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Hi Chasm, 

Thanks Jen
    Thanks, it turns out this was an old account belonging to my relative that was closed a few years ago. What is the best way to proceed with this to get the money transferred to the correct account?
    Hi Chasm,

Thanks for getting back to us here.

It would be necessary for your relative to get in touch with the company to inform them of this. Once they are provided the IBAN for the active account they should receive the refund within a matter of days.

If the money was sent to a closed account, this should have been returned to them automatically within 3-5 working days.

Many thanks,
    Megan

• Advertisement

Hi Chasm, 

Thanks Jen
    Hi Chasm,

Thanks for getting back to us here.

It would be necessary for your relative to get in touch with the company to inform them of this. Once they are provided the IBAN for the active account they should receive the refund within a matter of days.

If the money was sent to a closed account, this should have been returned to them automatically within 3-5 working days.

Many thanks,
    Megan
    Hi,
    The company told us the IBAN of the account that it went into, they are now aware it is a closed account, but they have stated that the payment was not returned to them. This payment was made 2 months ago. They told my relative that they should contact their bank. My relative is elderly and is very upset over the whole matter so i'm trying to get it sorted as soon as i can for them. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi There,

Thanks for getting back to us here on Boards.ie.

I completely understand your frustration, and the strain it may be putting on your relative.

We would be unable to provide the information of the account of which the IBAN is related to. It would be necessary for the company that sent the funds to investigate this further, they may be able to get in touch with their bank and request a recall on the amount.

Thanks, Aisling

Hi There,

I completely understand your frustration, and the strain it may be putting on your relative.

We would be unable to provide the information of the account of which the IBAN is related to. It would be necessary for the company that sent the funds to investigate this further, they may be able to get in touch with their bank and request a recall on the amount.

Thanks, Aisling
    Hi,
    I am no longer looking for information on the account. We now know the account that the money was paid into was an old BOI deposit account belonging to my relative, but it was closed in 2018. The company that paid the refund into that account state that the money was not returned to them and they told us to contact you.  Both my relative's closed account and my relatives current account are/were BOI accounts. It is frustrating as you are saying it is up to the company to chase it up and they are saying it is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭amber2

Hi,
    I am no longer looking for information on the account. We now know the account that the money was paid into was an old BOI deposit account belonging to my relative, but it was closed in 2018. The company that paid the refund into that account state that the money was not returned to them and they told us to contact you.  Both my relative's closed account and my relatives current account are/were BOI accounts. It is frustrating as you are saying it is up to the company to chase it up and they are saying it is up to you.

The company will need to place a trace on the payment through their bank. Normally if the receiving account is closed, the payment would be applied to a rejections suspense account whereby if the payment could not be applied with the number provided then the monies would be returned to the sender. The sending company can ask their bank to place a tracer on the payment. Nothing to do with the bank here or in this instance a subsidiary being ICS. If it is a BOI Deposit account just ensure with local branch that the account is in fact closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi There,

Thanks, Aisling
    Hi,
    Thanks for getting back to us here. If the funds have not been returned to the company it would be necessary for them to contact their own bank to request a recall of the funds. 

I hope this helps. 

Thanks Jen

• Advertisement

Thanks for getting back to us here. If the funds have not been returned to the company it would be necessary for them to contact their own bank to request a recall of the funds. 

I hope this helps. 

Thanks Jen

The company has now located the returned payment and is arranging to pay it into the correct account. Thank You for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

I hope this helps. 

Thanks Jen

The company has now located the returned payment and is arranging to pay it into the correct account. Thank You for your help.
    Hi chasm,

Glad to hear this is now sorted and thanks for updating us here.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement