Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Defund RTE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,192 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Invidious wrote: »
    This so-called "precious link" isn't even available in the south of England due to interference from another LW station.

How do those people cope?

In a lot of cases they have no access to Irish radio.

It could be fixed if the will was there.

I'm just arguing for a bit of compassion for old people.

My point is not is not pro or anti RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doggerland

As someone who remembers when RTE would buy up hit tv shows and shove them on at midnight just so tv3 couldn't have them, I say f them.

They should have one tv station, covering news, sports and doing cultural things (Nationwide etc). And one Radio station with similar remit. Cut the fat.

If we want to evaulate how successful RTE have been, let's consider that there's a massive market right next door with the same language and with whom we share a lot of cultural stuff. RTE should be making a packet by selling stuff to such a market... right?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cyllyn28

doggerland wrote: »
    If we want to evaulate how successful RTE have been, let's consider that there's a massive market right next door with the same language and with whom we share a lot of cultural stuff. RTE should be making a packet by selling stuff to such a market... right?

Graham Linehan, the Fr Ted writer, has acknowledged a myth about the show, that he first took it to RTE and they rejected it. This is not true, he never took it to RTE. His exact words on the matter were, that it would like taking Fr Ted to Waterford Crystal. RTE is largely sclerotic and conservative, it's basically Bord na Mona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

As someone who remembers when RTE would buy up hit tv shows and shove them on at midnight just so tv3 couldn't have them, I say f them.

They should have one tv station, covering news, sports and doing cultural things (Nationwide etc). And one Radio station with similar remit. Cut the fat.

The TV shows cost 26 million as per this thread. RTE spends 339.8mil. So overseas shows cost 7.65%.

Just in terms of the LW discussion, that costs 0.07% of the RTE budget.

53.97% was spent on personnel-related operating costs. Wages.

Now should we discuss the 0.07% or the 54% of budget?

Superfoods wrote: »
    The TV shows cost 26 million as per this thread. RTE spends 339.8mil. So overseas shows cost 7.65%.

Most of the money....is looted by the "clans".

• Advertisement

Complaining about RTE.....Is like complaining how McDonalds in Europe, will only accept Irish beef, when it mixed with higher quality product...Much of the "beef" produced in Ireland tasting like glued together toilet paper....Because it's made by conservatives....Conservatives think everything through...They pretend to be stupid, the whole wideeyed pretend ignorance, trying to fool us.

Stop being fooled..... Wake up......there are at least half a million people in this country, who do not deserve to live....to live in this country....They are people, or "people", who have failed the Irish people....because of their conservatism...

Stop being fooled

And

Stop trying to fool me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

elperello wrote: »
    I'm just arguing for a bit of compassion for old people.

It's a variant of the "poor auld Biddy" argument trotted out by a different poster earlier in the thread, who also invoked elderly people to argue against any change to the status quo.

It's amazing we got to have a digital switchover at all, given that there surely was a poor auld Biddy somewhere who lost access to Coronation Street because of it.

It's a variant of the "poor auld Biddy" argument trotted out by a different poster earlier in the thread, who also invoked elderly people to argue against any change to the status quo.

It's amazing we got to have a digital switchover at all, given that there surely was a poor auld Biddy somewhere who lost access to Coronation Street because of it.

I have outlined the case for those people in England as best as I can.

If you are not interested in their plight that's ok.

There's no call to dismiss them as "auld biddies".

I have no dog in the fight myself because when I'm in the UK I have access to broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So far your only concern is the 160 quid a year tv license fee. If your that hard up for the license fee don’t pay it.....I pay the license fee and as far as I’m concerned if rte use 0.07% of budget to keep a few people happy then I couldn’t give a s**t.

What does concern me about rte is if the poster above is correct and over 50% is spent on wages.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

cyllyn28 wrote: »
    Graham Linehan, the Fr Ted writer, has acknowledged a myth about the show, that he first took it to RTE and they rejected it. This is not true, he never took it to RTE. His exact words on the matter were, that it would like taking Fr Ted to Waterford Crystal. RTE is largely sclerotic and conservative, it's basically Bord na Mona.

Perhaps it was in the mid nineties, it's at the vanguard of PC WOKE culture today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Perhaps it was in the mid nineties, it's at the vanguard of PC WOKE culture today

say wha?

If you are not interested in their plight that's ok.

I find it hard to get invested in the "plight" of someone who can't listen to a particular radio station on longwave.
    There's no call to dismiss them as "auld biddies".

Invoking elderly listeners or viewers when someone proposes cutting a marginal or wasteful broadcasting service amounts to emotional manipulation — a tactic RTE itself has excelled at deploying over the years.

I find it hard to get invested in the "plight" of someone who can't listen to a particular radio station on longwave.

Invoking elderly listeners or viewers when someone proposes cutting a marginal or wasteful broadcasting service amounts to emotional manipulation — a tactic RTE itself has excelled at deploying over the years.

I do support their cause, you don't. Like I said that's ok.

I wasn't "invoking" them for some reason to my own advantage.

I have sympathy for that particular cohort of people. It's not that I personally need RTE LW as I already explained.

I do support their cause, you don't. Like I said that's ok.

I wasn't "invoking" them for some reason to my own advantage.

I have sympathy for that particular cohort of people. It's not that I personally need RTE LW as I already explained.

I don't accept the argument that, in the year 2020, there's a significant cohort of people who have no way to listen to this radio station other than an expensive longwave broadcast from across the sea.

"Alexa, play RTE Radio One."

It's not that complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

I don't accept the argument that, in the year 2020, there's a significant cohort of people who have no way to listen to this radio station other than an expensive longwave broadcast from across the sea.

It is, you just dont understand it.....

Mad_maxx wrote: »

We'll be mid-90s'ing you soon enough

Woke Culture? I'm talking about de-funding conservative Micks....You know...The useless of this country....."woke"...

I'm from conservative Ireland......and I want the F********s and fat worthless heifers to get a taste of the punishment they gave me.....I'm not going to continue paying for the cow bottom excretion conservative "way of life".........."woke"

Defund the worthless

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    In a competitive and free press, rival outlets that may have differing editorial viewpoints will keep themselves in check.

The assumption of competitive and free press keeping each other in check somehow is very naive. If a small number of media companies control the vast majority of the audience, who even cares if some marginal, fringe group rebels against their shared narrative?
    Also it’s the responsibility of individuals to be well informed themselves. It’s not the responsibility of other individuals to inform them.

Also naive. Individuals have no power versus the media, and as you are pains to point out the media is in no way accountable to them. This is the purpose of government - to check private power for the public good.
    This is the way the press worked for hundreds of years before the goverments started treating people like idiots and spoon feeding them “objective” information. Newspapers had the “news” section and the “opinion” section and there was a wide variety of papers. But then again, people were more literate back then.

So the government, which is accountable to people and their only tool in resisting private power, should abandon influence over the media narrative to private control and hope for the best?

We don't need a return to robber baron capitalism and we absolutely do not need US style media, thanks.
    We’ve been raised on this idea that RTÉ is objective because it’s a government station.

RTE's own self interest is best served by political neutrality so its not targeted by one party or the other. When I compare this to privately owned media which you proclaim can misrepresent and omit information and its the individuals fault if they fall for it, then yeah, by comparison it is objective. Its not ideal, but privately owned media has no responsibility to be objective at all so less than ideal is still far better.
    I’d rather watch a number of stations that aren’t obliged to be objective (without paying a licence) than be fleeced with a TV licence and watch a station that purports to be objective but in reality is no more objective than the others.

So you can be lied to more freely by privately owned media and have more ideas and viewpoints that you totally arrived at yourself?

Sand wrote: »
    So you can be lied to more freely by privately owned media and have more ideas and viewpoints that you totally arrived at yourself?

Conservatives, don't worry about being lied to..They love lies...Lies is how they've constructed their traditional way of life......the lies are not for them...they love lies...if they're in the service of social stagnation/conservatism.......A conservative fat mick, doing some lazy milking in their subsidised milking parlor, with a conservative fat mick brother, teaching in the local primary school (who gosh je jobe, because they danced off a conservative fat mick farm)....loves to hear RTE lies....They think they're in on the RTE scam...

They don't want you to know....that you do not need them....and they are in fact parasites eating the country like maggots.....That's why the schools are crap...why RTE is crap...And every buckesh and shovel job the local conservative fat micks gesh through the same scam is crap.

RTE conservative censorship...or even Boards conservative censorship (Boards...an "independent" media agency set up by Irish Times, RTE, type conservatives...)

RTE is irrelevant.......by the end of this decade, all the power of their conservative brainwash will be gone......And all of the conservative parasitic crap in this country will be washed away.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

RTE's pro Islam/multicultural stance could not be more obvious.

They did a piece on the news last year that went "Islam is the fastest growing religion in Ireland". The RTE news anchor had a smile on her face presenting this 'positive 'story.

How on earth could anyone think that Islam as a growing religion in Ireland is something to be excited about. It just blows my mind the attitude. You would think they might do a piece on how Christianity is in decline and look sullen about it, but no, they don't, instead just covey a level of happiness and excitement that Islam is on the rise in Ireland.

Totally weird stuff going on. Totally weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

AllForIt wrote: »

They did a piece on the news last year that went "Islam is the fastest growing religion in Ireland". The RTE news anchor had a smile on her face presenting this 'positive 'story.

How on earth could anyone think that Islam as a growing religion in Ireland is something to be excited about. It just blows my mind the attitude. You would think they might do a piece on how Christianity is in decline and look sullen about it, but no, they don't, instead just covey a level of happiness and excitement that Islam is on the rise in Ireland.

I agree, totally weird..

Looking sullen about Christianity in Decline? I think a lot of people would be delighted!

I welcome a multicultural Ireland, it means even less of a stranglehold that Catholicism has on this country and generally it brings more positives than negatives.

What ever weirdness (Including following a religion, cult or other society) people want to practice in their own personal lives is up to them.

Can you link to that piece, I would be interested to see how this news item was presented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Conservatives, don't worry about being lied to..They love lies...Lies is how they've constructed their traditional way of life......the lies are not for them...they love lies...if they're in the service of social stagnation/conservatism.......A conservative fat mick, doing some lazy milking in their subsidised milking parlor, with a conservative fat mick brother, teaching in the local primary school (who gosh je jobe, because they danced off a conservative fat mick farm)....loves to hear RTE lies....They think they're in on the RTE scam...

They don't want you to know....that you do not need them....and they are in fact parasites eating the country like maggots.....That's why the schools are crap...why RTE is crap...And every buckesh and shovel job the local conservative fat micks gesh through the same scam is crap.

RTE conservative censorship...or even Boards conservative censorship (Boards...an "independent" media agency set up by Irish Times, RTE, type conservatives...)

RTE is irrelevant.......by the end of this decade, all the power of their conservative brainwash will be gone......And all of the conservative parasitic crap in this country will be washed away.....

A coherent and informative piece, have you considered a career in journalism? That was about as articulate as an article on the journal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

tv3 should have bid more then, that's just the market.
    yes, stupid of rte to only show them at midnight, but if another channel isn't able to bid enough and rte is then that's just the way of the world.

whatever about 1 tv station, 1 radio station is not going to be able to provide the divercity of programming rte provides across it's multiple radio services.
    so almost all of the channels are needed, the only one there is an argument to replace is 2fm.
    removing channels and making the service irrelevant to people is not trimming the fat, it's slashing and burning because the service doesn't operate to your specific wants, which it is not actually supposed to do and it couldn't do so even if it wanted to as 1 person is not enough of an audience to sustain a radio or television service.

not automatically, no .
    the uk is a hugely competitive market, however a lot of the programming that audiences want is similar fluff to what rte is already making.
    rte would be unlikely to be able to compete with the home grown fluff even if it was better, because it wouldn't be relevant to uk home grown audiences.

it's not that complicated to you, it's not that complicated to me all though i don't use alexa, however that doesn't mean it isn't complicated full stop for others.
    ultimately you nor i can put our beliefs as to what is and isn't complicated on to others because people are different and what works for one won't always for another.
    ultimately it doesn't matter whether you accept the argument or not in relation to keeping the long wave service on air, because the decision to keep it or not going forward will be rte's.
    rte most likely have saw enough evidence to show that the argument for keeping it on is valid for now at least, otherwise the service would have been discontinued when it was originally planned to do so.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

GT89 wrote: »
    I've heard them on Youtube and Bitchute

You're right. Stay away from the fake news mainstream media.

I get all my inspiration and world information on how things really work from an excellent investigative journalist and possibly greatest thinker and philosopher of our time - Ms. Gemma O'Doherty. She's on youtube.

Whereas the likes of this Sarah McInerney wan on the radio in the morning. Giving us all this "blah blah facts and logic" - g'way ta fuck

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    A coherent and informative piece, have you considered a career in journalism? That was about as articulate as an article on the journal.ie

Nice attempt...with your conservative cute winking conservative mick put down...

When we are finished with your devious smart ass kind....You'll be queuing every day of the week, for the "free money".....And you'll bring a container for the porridge and for the stew...you need to collect to feed your conservative fat mother.......You will queue up, everyday, so the productive people can laugh and take photos of you...of the worthless....the worthless conservative rats, who used to bleed them to death...laugh at the smartholes, who used to look down their smarthole noses..

DrSerious....what I'm trying to say...is we're coming for your worthless (and knowingly, worthless), kind......

Piss stink, piss smelly, conservative bacteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

kenmm wrote: »
    I agree, totally weird..

Looking sullen about Christianity in Decline? I think a lot of people would be delighted!

I welcome a multicultural Ireland, it means even less of a stranglehold that Catholicism has on this country and generally it brings more positives than negatives.

What ever weirdness (Including following a religion, cult or other society) people want to practice in their own personal lives is up to them.

Can you link to that piece, I would be interested to see how this news item was presented.

It's weird you say all this is such a cavalier manner, when you are talking about a complete change in the social demographic of this country, as it were something trivial, when you know perfectly well what you dream of is of monumental proportions.

You say "whatever religion ppl want to follow is up to them" as if anyone is suggesting otherwise. The rise of Islam in Ireland is not organic i.e ppl are not converting to Islam, rather Muslims are simply moving here.

So you change the goalposts, all to promote your worldview, and pretend your view is just a live and let live mentality, when your are intent on changing Ireland's cultural and social demographic, simply because it's what you prefer.

What I'm saying is what you prefer is weird. The diminishing of Christianity in Ireland has noting to do with multiculturalism or the rise of Islam in Ireland. Rather it's about the rise of secularism. Of which I am a part. I renounce my born Christianity, as many have.

To have a worldview that 'welcomes' more and more religions, as if there is some betterment to be had for society, is in my view, weird. Why would you want that? Why would you want to bring it about? Makes no sense whatsoever.

It does make sense if you consider ppl with these views are social anarchists, who don't care about anything, except their own selfish worldview.

And no, I can't link to that report, it was an RTE report I saw on TV a year ago or so.

Yes....The call to payer....Islamic clerics reading the new

Yes....because once we get a critical mass of strong armed Islamic refugees...We can wiped out subzidised, worthless, conservative parasitic Ireland, in just a few days....Promise the boys they'll get a farm....They get a farm, we get to stop paying subsidies....and the diseaed infection of conservative worthless beggar people can be removed from Irish government.....

How on earth could anyone think that Islam as a growing religion in Ireland is something to be excited about.

I just told you.

It just blows my mind the attitude.

That's the plan......that's the plan.

You would think they might do a piece on how Christianity is in decline and look sullen about it, but no

Conservative fat boy.....when was the last time you went to mass?...or said your prayers............We only need less than 30,000 Isalamicists to wipe out your entire kind....You don't believe in anything...Curry chips and internet pornography.....a conservative worthless fat eating machine...

, they don't, instead just covey a level of happiness and excitemelnt that Islam is on the rise in Ireland.

Yes...we are excited

Weird?.....Are you one of the conservative fat micks who called me weird as a child....There's a lot weirdness coming your way..Boxes and slaps of weirdness....Conservative dog arse worthless arse filth drip......Conservative fat worthless eaters, eating Allah's land.....

All-u-Akbar........Cleans the land of the lord of, conservatism

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You think RTE is conservative?

Whatever you're on ,it must be expensive

DrSerious3 wrote: »

Nice one....You conservative, eye rolling, head shaking, conservative parasitic smug mick...

Pay back time is coming for your kind.....Now we have close to 40,000 armed Syrian refugees on our side...And all you've got is diabetes and obesity....

Butcher the enemies of Allah....Butcher the lying conservative Irish filth who spit in the face of Allah and laugh....

It's weird you say all this is such a cavalier manner, when you are talking about a complete change in the social demographic of this country, as it were something trivial, when you know perfectly well what you dream of is of monumental proportions.

You say "whatever religion ppl want to follow is up to them" as if anyone is suggesting otherwise. The rise of Islam in Ireland is not organic i.e ppl are not converting to Islam, rather Muslims are simply moving here.

So you change the goalposts, all to promote your worldview, and pretend your view is just a live and let live mentality, when your are intent on changing Ireland's cultural and social demographic, simply because it's what you prefer.

What I'm saying is what you prefer is weird. The diminishing of Christianity in Ireland has noting to do with multiculturalism or the rise of Islam in Ireland. Rather it's about the rise of secularism. Of which I am a part. I renounce my born Christianity, as many have.

To have a worldview that 'welcomes' more and more religions, as if there is some betterment to be had for society, is in my view, weird. Why would you want that? Why would you want to bring it about? Makes no sense whatsoever.

It does make sense if you consider ppl with these views are social anarchists, who don't care about anything, except their own selfish worldview.

And no, I can't link to that report, it was an RTE report I saw on TV a year ago or so.

If we are taking about a complete change as in secularism, great. I misunderstood because you mentioned the looking sullen about Christianity in decline.

I don't think or fear we will turn into some mass Islamic nation, so it's not a concern. It's not hard to become 'the fastest growing' because most religions are in decline.

And most Muslims I know, it's not like they are out there trying to convert people en mass, is it? Most would do their practice and get on with life in private.

Edit: I just noticed you said it was a year ago, sorry!

Edit 2: is the slow rate of decline in Christianity non organic because a bunch of Spanish or Italians moved here? ie would we have a lot less Christianity had we not allowed other Christians to move? If the true organic destiny for Ireland is secularism, then we should stop any religion no? Where does it end?

• Advertisement

Butcher the enemies of Allah....Butcher the lying conservative Irish filth who spit in the face of Allah and laugh....

Go on, I'll bite then. What lies?

Advertisement