Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Report finds Galway ‘drink-driving capital’ of Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Agreed no excuse but it does show a need for reliable cheap late night services. Busses finishing at 11.30 and a short taxi journey are around 20 euro combined with expensive hotels is clearly tempting some idiots to chance driving

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title updated from "Drink driving" to "Report finds Galway ‘drink-driving capital’ of Ireland"

From article
    It found that almost 2,200 people were stopped across the county over a five year period – the highest figure nationwide by a fair margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

No excuse for it. Sip a soft drink or have an alcohol free beer. Or stay at home.

I would like a breakdown on the journeys taken. Were they coming to or from the city? Were they travelling long or short distances?
    Were there circumstances that convinced people to "chance" drink driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd imagine its more of a problem out here in rural parts of the county where some think there is less chance of being caught.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I'd imagine its more of a problem out here in rural parts of the county where some think there is less chance of being caught.

Plenty at it in the city aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Chances are very slim getting caught if you only have a couple I suppose but its not worth the risk and nobody should do it habits are very hard to change for a lot of people and the amount of people who will only go somewhere if they can drink is still very high .In places out of any town or village transport options are very limited so people will still take a chance .If you drive and follow the laws your drinking times are quite limited so you have to accept that if you want your car .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 leocullensface

Agreed no excuse but it does show a need for reliable cheap late night services. Busses finishing at 11.30 and a short taxi journey are around 20 euro combined with expensive hotels is clearly tempting some idiots to chance driving

100per cent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I wish the report also showed where people were from not just where they got caught. The headline makes is sound like galway is a bunch of drunks but could it be our garda are better at policing the roads and/or many are from out of town?

I wish the report also showed where people were from not just where they got caught. The headline makes is sound like galway is a bunch of drunks but could it be our garda are better at policing the roads and/or many are from out of town?

I’d imagine most of em are living in Galway tbh, reality doesn’t always go the way you want sometimes

At least there is the choice of a bus until 11.30 or a taxi after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

if 2,200 were caught then the actual figure of people doing it is probably well over 10k.

etxp wrote: »
    if 2,200 were caught then the actual figure of people doing it is probably well over 10k.
    The population of Galway county is just over quarter of a million.
    Adults are 3/4 of a population, let's say 180K

So that means you estimate 1 in 18 drives after drinking?

biko wrote: »

Off the top of my head between people I know, family members and people in the local I would easily know 20 or 30 people who would drive over the limit at times so I wouldn’t doubt that at all, even higher I’d say if anything. That’s not even counting the next morning where nearly everyone drives after nights out.

That’s not even counting the next morning where nearly everyone drives after nights out.
    This is probably the reason. Most people I know would drive the next morning.
    Of course if they get nabbed they can still have alcohol in their system.

#workingfromhomerocks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Off the top of my head between people I know, family members and people in the local I would easily know 20 or 30 people who would drive over the limit at times so I wouldn’t doubt that at all, even higher I’d say if anything. That’s not even counting the next morning where nearly everyone drives after nights out.

It’s a funny old world where one believes drink driving is an accepted norm but going out for a pizza during the pandemic is tantamount to high treason.

I don’t believe it’s anything remotely like 1 in 18, it isn’t socially acceptable anymore, you see this even more so among younger people, who have grown up with this attitude drilled into them. Despite the pretty low chances of getting caught, I don’t think people generally accept that behaviour anymore.

It would be very unfortunate if one were caught the morning after a couple of beers the night before, but if you’re getting into a car at 8am after a skinful or pints 6 hours earlier, I’d rather not share the same road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You assume that one person only drink drivers the once. Its more likely its a much smaller number of people who do it all the time

Aye, but I suppose they would get their licence revoked after repeated offences. Just guessing.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It’s a funny old world where one believes drink driving is an accepted norm but going out for a pizza during the pandemic is tantamount to high treason.

I don’t believe it’s anything remotely like 1 in 18, it isn’t socially acceptable anymore, you see this even more so among younger people, who have grown up with this attitude drilled into them. Despite the pretty low chances of getting caught, I don’t think people generally accept that behaviour anymore.

It would be very unfortunate if one were caught the morning after a couple of beers the night before, but if you’re getting into a car at 8am after a skinful or pints 6 hours earlier, I’d rather not share the same road.

You say it’s drilled into people that it’s not socially acceptable, i completely disagree but do agree that everyone knows the rules and the consequences.

Why is it unfortunate if caught the morning after after a few beers but not after a “skinful” if you’re over the limit your over the limit. I thought this was “drilled into people from a young age”

Plenty of people are drink driving, the figures are there in black in white. Do you just want to ignore the report because you don’t want to believe it?

You say it’s drilled into people that it’s not socially acceptable, i completely disagree but do agree that everyone knows the rules and the consequences.

Why is it unfortunate if caught the morning after after a few beers but not after a “skinful” if you’re over the limit your over the limit. I thought this was “drilled into people from a young age”

Plenty of people are drink driving, the figures are there in black in white. Do you just want to ignore the report because you don’t want to believe it?

You’d pick an argument in an empty room.

Yes, I think if someone had 2-3 beers and was in bed before midnight, had a good 8 hours sleep and then somehow failed a test late the following morning, that would be pretty unfortunate, I’m sure it happens though.

I don’t think “plenty” of people are at it no. I’m not going around with blinkers on, I don’t see it as something the greater majority of people do. As another poster said above, I’d imagine it is a smaller minority that are doing it often, skewing the figures.

20 years ago it might have been true all right, the pub car parks would have been packed and most of the lads in the pub would have been driving home but now its not the case.

I remember getting lifts home from nightclubs from people who were tanked and its lucky we weren't all killed when I think back on it.

Obviously some are still doing it but its no where near what is was like back then.

• Advertisement

Yes, I think if someone had 2-3 beers and was in bed before midnight, had a good 8 hours sleep and then somehow failed a test late the following morning”

So your condoning driving over the limit in special circumstances?

“don’t think “plenty” of people are at it no. I’m not going around with blinkers on, I don’t see it as something the greater majority of people do. As another poster said above, I’d imagine it is a smaller minority that are doing it often, skewing the figures.”

2,200 people were stopped across the county over a five year period thats 440 a year which is 37 a month

Harrowing isn’t it?

So your condoning driving over the limit in special circumstances?

Sigh.

I've had conversations with lads who've had 10 pints that make more sense than your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pollymv1

Plenty around Meath / Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

The report is over 5 years don't forget.

When you include people who are driving the morning after, having a couple of pints with a meal, or driving just after a couple of pints the numbers wouldn't be long rising.

Rural areas are still quite high in drink driving, IMO.

I think you are being very naive. I’m not talking about people driving hammered that is certainly no longer accepted but driving after 2 or 3 pints would not be frowned upon by many and a lot would support a limit that allowed this. I would know plenty late 20’s upwards with this opinion. I just have to look back on weddings over the last few years were 15 or 20 cars of people would pull into a stop off pub between church and hotel and probably 80% of drivers would have 2 or 3 pints.

I would say the vast majority of people drinking in my local of all ages would drive home when popping in for a few pints on the way home from work or what ever but wouldn’t drive home after a session.

Yes, I think if someone had 2-3 beers and was in bed before midnight, had a good 8 hours sleep and then somehow failed a test late the following morning, that would be pretty unfortunate, I’m sure it happens though. .

No one is failing a test after 2 or 3 pints and 8 hours sleep, it wouldn’t be possible. 2 pints would not put many over the limit even when drinking them or certainty unlikely to fail in the station after the hour of wait time.

I think you are being very naive.
    I would know plenty late 20’s upwards with this opinion. I just have to look back on weddings over the last few years were 15 or 20 cars of people would pull into a stop off pub between church and hotel and probably 80% of drivers would have 2 or 3 pints.

I would say the vast majority of people drinking in my local of all ages would drive home when popping in for a few pints on the way home from work or what ever but wouldn’t drive home after a session.

I never cease to be bewildered by your posts. It's like going back in a time machine to somewhere into mid 80's rural Ireland. Like you I grew up in the countryside, so I am not some naive city dweller, and yes, what you describe there is something I saw a lot of 15-20 years ago. But in my experience, that kind of thing today is the exception, rather than the rule - apart from your circle of course, wherever that may be - fantasy or otherwise. You only have to look at the local rural pub scene. There's 2 or 3 rural pubs, say within 8k of me that were thriving businesses back in the 1990's with full carparks every weekend. They're now boarded up.

I'm not one for zero tolerance (hence my sympathy for someone who might get caught the morning after), but I do know people who's lives have been destroyed by the actions of a drink driver, so I hope that I am not the naive one here and that your attitudes to it are the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

You must be so proud...

Advertisement