Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• 80k @ 28.5kph this evening. Starting to feel fitter and stronger. Was happy with my lot, coming up a long, tough drag towards the end of the route when an old man breezed past me on a bike, looking for all the world like he was going to the shop for a slice pan. For a few seconds, my brain was fried trying to figure out what was going on, when it dawned on me that it was an electric bike. I nearly killed myself trying to catch him and when I was just about to enjoy my triumphant pass, he veered off on a side road and disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Got out for a little over 50km this morning before work, Drimnagh, Tallaght, over Ballina feckin scorney, took the side road for Kilbride barracks, down by Manor Kilbride to the N81, and home again.
    I dont know why I put myself through this flipping hill, I hate it.
    However, a positive was i didn't think I was even going to make it up, I was feeling a bit spent on the way to Tallaght. I didnt think it was very sunny, but came home with a red face.

https://strava.app.link/JAuuf6DUN7

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I planned to meet the OH in enniskerry or greystones this morn to handover some stuff she forgot to bring home.

Something came up so I ended up cycling to Aughrim via Cruagh,, Featherbeds, Powers court, Roundwood (old long hill) Laragh and Rathdrum.

Rain was sideways and visibility rubbish as I headed for the gap, hence the diversion back down, which may have given me more climbing as a result and about another 10 km.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/VLhRXg1kP7

She being more sensible than I, dropped me to Bray (was trying to drop me all the way home) and I cycled home from there.

114 km all in for the day with about 1400 metres of climbing.

This one won't sync though

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5182952795?share_unique_id=2

I did all these with a back pack on too. First 82 km carrying a rather heavy couple of lunchboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

Strava lost signal on my last two rides. Anyone experience this with the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

Omega28 wrote: »
    Strava lost signal on my last two rides. Anyone experience this with the app?

Happened me the other night, seemed to loose me a few times and just drew a straight line on the map anytime it picked me up. I figured it was my phone tho, maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Drizzly morning
    Still got out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice spin this morning with a bunch of steep enough ramps (quarry road, killegar road) followed by a bit of off road on the Wicklow way. 47k with 970m of up at a lamentable speed, largely due to my technical inability off-road on the CX bike. Ended up turning back on the Wicklow way but might give it a go again on the MTB. Really need to work on some better off road skills, primarily some basic bunny hop thing to get me over rock drains. Back in time to catch the family heading off for a dip in Killiney which was a lovely cool down.

518866.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wife is away so for the first time in ages I wasnt rushing back from a Saturday spin to do something else. Went from Dublin to Laragh via Sally gap, then decided to try the Shay Elliot and Slievemann climbs as I've never tackled them before.They seemed to go on forever as it was misty and i couldnt see the top and am not familiar with how long either climb was. Had planned to stop in Aughavannagh as I thought it was a village with a shop, food etc but there was bugger all there so kept going. Bonked badly then before I reached donard, however my coffee, coke & double decker did not go down well. Had an upset stomach when I got back on the bike and my legs were cramping, so took it handy on the rest of the way back to dublin, the tailwind home greatly helped. My garmin watch battery gave out in Blessington, so recorded the final stretch on the phone.

Around 133km, 5h40m, 1900m+ of climbing. Thoroughly bolloxed now though...thats my first 100km of the year. Will sleep well tonight

https://www.strava.com/activities/3713369674
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3713359371

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Chilled spin hunting pyramids with the kids today, 16km in about 3 hours as we messed about on the skate park too.

Worryingly gave my carbon cranks a right smack popping from one pool to the other.

Tempted to get a bmx now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Club Spin this morning up to NCD. Haven't been up that way in a while and it felt good to head back that way. Haven't been up Snowtown hill since the GDBR last year.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3712009323

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

First long one in a long time, nearly fecking killed me Im gone so unfit:

GcMFQis.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Headed to Gorey to meeting point, Arklow, woodenbridge, aughrim, Carnew and back to Gorey....and the slog home. 100km 29.6 avg 660m up.. draggy..windy come to mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, all four seasons in one day out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

I don't normally post about my cycles in here, but Jesus the wind today was unreal. I don't know which was worse, the cross winds or the headwinds.

Anyway, 41.5 miles, and an average speed of 14.5mph. I reckon the wind cost me maybe 2mph overall.

Do you think it's possible to cycle in a loop and never have a tailwind...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i deliberately headed west to start with to get the headwinds out of the way on the outward leg. turning back east was lovely, drumree to dunshaughlin to ratoath to coolquay was a breeze. pun unintended.
    i lie, that was intentional.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cletus wrote: »
    Indoor velodrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....41.5 miles, and an average speed of 14.5mph. I reckon the wind cost me maybe 2mph ...
    Oh dear. Please see Rule 24.

https://www.velominati.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Oh dear. Please see Rule 24.

https://www.velominati.com/

Yeah, no. That shït all fell apart when we were discussing what constitutes a century...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got from my parents to my own house in less than 25 mins. It's only 13-15 km depending on route, but that wind was a joy.

I got soaked in a 5 min downpour, wetter than I'd got on the featherbeds on Friday so my intention to do another 35 km for 50 went out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

55km another day of high winds but at least less rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Back to Ticknock - first time being able to give it some gas whilst out on the bike.

Thought I was terrible (I was on anything technical), but Strava has lots of gold trophies.

Was only a short blast so not really representative of a normal spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Headed to Howth from Ratoath so the runway strip was delightful. And then from clontarf to Sutton turned me into that speeding w@anker as I motored along for 8k. Couldn’t help myself. Then a sucker punch all the way from swords to Ratoath. What a slog. Served me right for being a tosser earlier

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Moate - Blackrock. 135.5km in 4:40. The first 100km was done in less than 3 hours. 120km in about 4 hours. Turned south for the last hour or so to get some climbing to bring the vertical over 1000m.

Great day for riding (if you were going in the right direction!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

120km in just over 4 hrs with 1600m of climbing to keep it honest. A little bit of thought into the route planning gave us decent cover from the wind in most places though two descents were tricky unless your loaded with kilos, phew!!!

I'm just glad to be leaving Zwift races behind now, they have been great but they empty the tank in a major way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Forgot to say, how great is this stretch of Old Military Road from Glenmacnass back to the Sally Gap? Streetview doesnt do it justice, you could eat your dinner off it. Wish they'd do the whole area like this, its the most perfect surface Ive cycled on in Ireland tbh:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.085172,-6.3572294,3a,75y,16.1h,79.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjPI1-rhGjAH9-cjttFnrBw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Unfortunately after that back to Enniskerry they have made some very lazy decisions to throw down loose chips on some very fast stretches, obviously not a lot of cyclists working for Wicklow CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Thargor wrote: »
    Forgot to say, how great is this stretch of Old Military Road from Glenmacnass back to the Sally Gap? Streetview doesnt do it justice, you could eat your dinner off it. Wish they'd do the whole area like this, its the most perfect surface Ive cycled on in Ireland tbh:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.085172,-6.3572294,3a,75y,16.1h,79.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjPI1-rhGjAH9-cjttFnrBw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Unfortunately after that back to Enniskerry they have made some very lazy decisions to throw down loose chips on some very fast stretches, obviously not a lot of cyclists working for Wicklow CC.

Yep, that loose stuff is lethal, very nearly skittled myself a few weeks on the way through the village!

Got out for a really nice spin, 90k/1600m around the Slieve Blooms, got soaked and dried about 6 separate times, including once while enjoying a burger in Kinnity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

82km with 850m climbing spin around South Kilkenny following a chunk of the south Leinster way. Grovelled westward for a lumpy 30km or so into a 30-40km/h headwind, which of course still seemed to be a headwind when I finally turned for home. Cracking panoramic views from up there. Average speed of 24.6km/h which wasn't too bad all things considered

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Yeah - every single time I go out in wind

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Yeah - every single time I go out in wind

Sure if you go fast enough, theres always a headwind
    Thàts what i tell myslef anyway, a good mental excuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Thargor wrote: »

They'll chip that soon too.
    No grip for cars on the smooth stuff.
    Even a .5m smooth strip on side of wider roads would be beautifulf or cycling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement