Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-06-2020, 04:56   #676
One More Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinman1990 View Post
Fruugo.ie has them for €699. I know it's optional to buy them but are they mad?

https://www.fruugo.ie/adidas-yeezy-b...02?language=en
A thousand quid for a size 8.... And €50 shipping cost!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-06-2020, 08:36   #677
PhilOssophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterAlan View Post
The REAL problem was creating a bubble and then bursting it.It was a manufactured operation

People talk smack about "Eddie" the barman and his gf Consuela the kitchen porter being given 500k loans, as if it was their fault.

They were tools and fools in a massive heist. Give people a load of money on a debt load, have them run up superior amounts of debt further, then crash them and sell their foreclosed assets. You have Eddie and Consuela in hock for the rest of their lives and you now have the gaff they were fooled into buying for 500k.

That, my friend, is called willful misrepresentation. It is also called fraud.

Financial advice is like legal or medical advice. It has to be not only regulated but covered by a code of ethics.

If a doctor tells you "It's all good...smoke up Johnny" .... bad advice
Likewise a lawyer...."Relax, mate, you're covered. No impropriety"

And a banker says "Take all this loot. Sound mate. You won't have to pay it back. Gonna be great, lad" ......Willful misrepresentation, and illegal.

But the trick worked.
Well Eddie and his gf Consuela are at least partly to blame and you can't say that they bear no responsibility.

Anyway, as said before seriousness is against the spirit of this thread!
(3) thanks from:
30-06-2020, 09:48   #678
CrankyHaus

Does anyone remember those brutal Anti-Cocaine Ads they ran around 2006?
"The Party's Over" was the tagline, accompanied by a graphic of a balloon popping I think.
How would that persuade anyone to not do bag?
If you want to turn people off drugs just throw up accounts of people who shagged their lives up from it, don't use bossy national school Muinteoir language at adults.
(2) thanks from:
30-06-2020, 09:53   #679
Salvadoor

https://twitter.com/SoleDublin/statu...68513725984768

Gerald is back baby
30-06-2020, 10:05   #680
Sky King

That gives me a pain in my sole
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-06-2020, 10:11   #681
Beechwoodspark

The comments on twitter for that are worth a read
30-06-2020, 10:18   #682
blindside88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechwoodspark View Post
The comments on twitter for that are worth a read
Just had a quick read of them. Some very funny, some would give you a pain in your hole from their high horse
30-06-2020, 11:17   #683
MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterAlan View Post
The REAL problem was creating a bubble and then bursting it.It was a manufactured operation

People talk smack about "Eddie" the barman and his gf Consuela the kitchen porter being given 500k loans, as if it was their fault.

They were tools and fools in a massive heist. Give people a load of money on a debt load, have them run up superior amounts of debt further, then crash them and sell their foreclosed assets. You have Eddie and Consuela in hock for the rest of their lives and you now have the gaff they were fooled into buying for 500k.
<snip>
And a banker says "Take all this loot. Sound mate. You won't have to pay it back. Gonna be great, lad" ......Willful misrepresentation, and illegal.

But the trick worked.
So the banks knew all along and were screwing Eddie and the likes? Then how did the banks lose a fortune as well and had to be taken over?

Nearly everybody lost in this game. Except the people who sold at the top and sat on on their cash of course. The banks didn't do that.
30-06-2020, 11:21   #684
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPeopleDrankTheSoup
So the banks knew all along and were screwing Eddie and the likes? Then how did the banks lose a fortune as well and had to be taken over?

The banks didn't lose at all ffs, we bailed them out and said carry on lads, keep creating money there, keep inflating asset prices, it's all good!
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-06-2020, 11:28   #685
Feisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by One More Toy View Post
Think I was blinded by it all, I saw other parents with fancy new cars and we were stuck with a 4 year old toyota. Even gave my parents stick for not having an ssia
"4 year old toyota" says he! Just be glad you were never outside Mass baiting the starting motor on an ould Nissan Bluebird with a hammer in an effort to get her to start.
30-06-2020, 11:31   #686
nedkelly123

I was 24 and the bank offered me 807K to buy 3 rental places on a salary of 40k !
30-06-2020, 11:40   #687
Feisar

I came out of college two years before the bust. Working for a main contractor on a big project it was rare if some subbie wasn't bringing us out for a meal and drinks every week.

Went to a wedding with my GF at the time. Lads only a couple of years older than me were all driving the best of yokes.

Out of college a wet week and the bank was ringing me up about loans. Actually back in college I remember lads getting loans due to their "earning potential", whatever the feck that is.

One of the lads at work getting caught just before the burst. He bought a house right at the peak.

When I was in college, trades coming in getting cheques changed. The bar owner would purposefully have the cash on hand so the boys would sit down and drink a fair ball of it.
30-06-2020, 11:43   #688
nedkelly123

a guy i knew in school drove past me in 2006 in a brand new rangerover .. he left school at 15 ... he was a bricklayer ...
30-06-2020, 11:48   #689
the_syco
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
The banks didn't lose at all ffs, we bailed them out and said carry on lads, keep creating money there, keep inflating asset prices, it's all good!
We had two options;

Bail out the banks, and we'd still have banks in Ireland.

Not bail out the banks, and use the banks not in Ireland.

The problem with the latter is that we'd be asking for a bank not in Ireland to lend to a country that has no banks, and no way of enforcing debt. Unlike the UK where they can take your stuff and sell it, apart from the Monk coming over to you, there's not much reason for you to pay up if you don't want to. So if the bank was going to lend to anyone in Ireland, the risk would be high, so thus would the interest.
Thanks from:
30-06-2020, 11:58   #690
spurious
Category Moderator

The Celtic Tiger years passed me by. I didn't have much left from my teaching salary after paying bills and the mortgage. I was brought up being told if I wanted something, I should save for it and buy it, not borrow for it, so no foreign apartments for flash cars for me.

Ironically, many of the 'unemployed' families of the children I taught bought foreign apartments at the time. I remember one child telling me twelve of her family were going to Florida for Christmas and on a ten day cruise afterwards. A lovely life some in this country had/have.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion