Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-06-2020, 13:58   #76
mick087

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post

There it is. Great stuff.

And I just love this, especially the car scene near the end.
Excellent both are completely and utterly funny nearly 100 years old these and still unbelievably hilarious.

The pen at the end of the music box
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-06-2020, 19:59   #77
byronbay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavb2 View Post
I didn’t find him particularly funny watching him but in reading his jokes There are some good ones two of my favourites.

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar.
One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.'
The other says 'Are you sure?'
The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '
That IS a good joke! I like the idea of two atoms walking into a bar. It certainly doesn't sound like a Tommy Cooper joke but I'll take your word for it.
29-06-2020, 03:59   #78
Realtai

OP you are not the only one who felt that way about Tommy Cooper. My mother couldn't stand the man, and didn't find him funny at all. I was just indifferent to him. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

However, I did think that he was good in "The Plank", along with Eric Sykes

Last edited by Realtai; 29-06-2020 at 04:02.
Thanks from:
29-06-2020, 04:03   #79
Realtai

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleet_admiral View Post
The video of him dying onstage is distressing. I always thought he'd get up and carry on with the act

I agree. I made the mistake of watching it on youtube one night and it stayed in my mind for quite a while afterwards. Horrible.
29-06-2020, 07:50   #80
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooterblue2 View Post
When you consider Alison Spittle is the best new comedian on RTE.... the man is a genius.
A turnip with connections to the RTE 'family' could make it as comedy talent on RTE.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-06-2020, 08:02   #81
Oscar Madison

He was about as funny as Friends!
29-06-2020, 08:54   #82
OldRio

I actually saw him on stage about 1971ish. He was appearing in some variety show in London. You couldn't take your eyes off him. He was a big man. Very tall. He had a presence about him. Very very funny.

He could stand on stage and do next to nothing and the audience would be in stitches.
29-06-2020, 09:44   #83
Hoop66

So you're going to come on here and post this? Just like that?
(2) thanks from:
29-06-2020, 14:54   #84
elperello

To be honest comedy and what makes one laugh is very much subjective.

It's possible for one to enjoy Tommy Cooper, Alison Spittle and Friends or none of them.

Thankfully it is not compulsory to like any comedy act.

It's easy to come on here and make disparaging remarks about people but it's hard to make an audience laugh.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-06-2020, 15:21   #85
skooterblue2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elperello View Post
To be honest comedy and what makes one laugh is very much subjective.

It's possible for one to enjoy Tommy Cooper, Alison Spittle and Friends or none of them.

Thankfully it is not compulsory to like any comedy act.

It's easy to come on here and make disparaging remarks about people but it's hard to make an audience laugh.
Its hard to judge Tommy Cooper but he did fill halls and was in demand. I watched "Friends" and I can judge it because I was a peer of that time, maybe it is a bit risque because of political correctness now. On the other hand, I am a peer of Alison Spittle and she isnt original, funny or has charm.
29-06-2020, 17:07   #86
trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFalstaff View Post
"I sleep like a baby. Every morning I wake up screaming around 2 o’clock."

One of my favourite Tommy Cooper jokes. The man never tried to be one of those comedians who provided social commentary, which makes much of his material timeless. The only time he died onstage was the time he actually died onstage. Which is also hilarious - the final punchline.
I remember watching one of those review programmes where they were discussing comics, and the presenter actually asked " did Tommy Cooper ever die on stage". Then she realised what she had said. Mortified wasn't the word.

On the original question, no I never found him really funny, mildly amusing at best.
30-06-2020, 10:56   #87
imme

He was a funny guy.
Thanks from:
30-06-2020, 12:55   #88
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle101 View Post
I've never watched Tommy Cooper but it seems to me that a lot of comedy acts could be attributed to a certain generation of fans. I think my grandfather liked Tommy Cooper, and he would also have been into the likes of Laurel and Hardy and The Two Ronnies yet you'd probably wouldn't see a lot of fans of those comedy acts nowadays. On the other hand, he probably wouldn't have been into a lot of the modern comedians today, he was very old fashioned.
my grandfather loved tommy cooper , he did die in 1986 however , believe cooper was himself dead before that ?
Thanks from:
01-07-2020, 05:15   #89
Quantum Erasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post

Nothing funny today will be funny in 20 yrs time.
you're probably right on that count
(2) thanks from:
01-07-2020, 09:29   #90
Hamsterchops

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronbay2 View Post
My question is: Am I wrong? Was he a genius? Or is there a giant conspiracy to fool the modern audience into thinking his act was hilarious? Surely, anyone watching him for 5 minutes could see that he was a total charlatan??
I suggest you are totally wrong. Tommy Cooper was one of the comedy giants back in the 70s.

He was hilarious at the time, although if you watch him now his gags don't have the same effect as they did the first time round nearly fifty years ago!

Cooper was of his time, and his comedy was of its time, not to be compared with today's acts. So much TV stuff from back then that doesn't have the same impact now, but he was loved by millions of people, he was great.

Last edited by Hamsterchops; 01-07-2020 at 09:36.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion