Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Comments

When I'm writing/about to post a post and I hit some key or some combination/sequence unbeknownst to me, screen goes to a different page/1st page of thread and post is lost. No loss to anyone else :) - very annoying though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

You might retrieve it when you hit the return arrow up on the left.

Happened to me a few times. I am using the legacy site if this helps you.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

People refusing to believe that the summer solstice is today and insisting that it's *always* 21 June.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

When you watch a show and there are glaring technical errors, so much so that it ruins the show for you.
    I saw the pilot of a rubbish cop show where they kicked in a serial killer's door to arrest him. They saw him leg it through the house.

Instead of clearing each room like they do on good cop shows, they stopped to look at the killers tools of the trade which were laid out on a table for over a minute, thereby turning their backs on the killer with a gun who was down the hallway :rolleyes:

When you watch a show and there are glaring technical errors, so much so that it ruins the show for you.
    I saw the pilot of a rubbish cop show where they kicked in a serial killer's door to arrest him. They saw him leg it through the house.

Instead of clearing each room like they do on good cop shows, they stopped to look at the killers tools of the trade which were laid out on a table for over a minute, thereby turning their backs on the killer with a gun who was down the hallway :rolleyes:

Too true. There are levels of disbelief but these are often well exceeded.

I have a few myself:

Hard-drinking pizza eating protagonist takes off his top and he's chiselled :D

Hostage/2 people tied up together in a confined area situation for several hours. Rarely anyone needs to use the toilet :p. Unlike other larger hostage situations, like banks for example where the robbers let people use the conveniences.

The stranded in the wilderness/deserted island for weeks situation. The females are rarely anymore "hirsute" than they were at the beginning of the adventure; evidenced by the fact that they've resorted to Daisy Dukes mode :pac:

Cop shows where they're interviewing a witness/potential suspect for thirty seconds plus and as they're walking away their phone rings :). Happens way too often when I'm watching SVU or Blue Bloods to be a coincidence.

There are more, obvious ones being fight scenes, car chases that defy the laws of physics and whatnot but I don't mind them as much. It's the aforementioned ones that are just, well too much imo.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I have a bruised swollen balloon-Lip.:mad::mad::(:( It actually probably would look funny if both Lips were swollen! I don't know what caused it, at first just thought it was a Coldsore. But experience tells me my Lip never swells with a Coldsore so it has to be something else. And it's more blister-y rather than Coldsore-y.
    Squeezing one side of the Lip does deflate it and makes it bleed and turns it into a cluster / break-out of Cuts/scars, but it's a series of open wounds now and it looks like someone has taken a Scalpel to my poor Lip,
    it looks like I've been beaten-up / abused / battered! That was hours ago and I havn't gone near it in hours. Trying to deflate it did bring down the swelling but it has ballooned back up again to its original swollen state.

I've asked Dr. Google and it seems there's a lot of different sores you can get but they are all on the inside of the Mouth apparently, this strangely is on the outside. There has been a few mentions of allergic reaction to Citrus / Acidic Fruits and sure enough the very last thing I ate before this happened was a Mandarin so it must be that. But then would my whole Mouth and Face etc. not have all swelled up as well. Either that or the other thing I'm thinking, is that it's one mo-fo of a Burn-blister as a result of a steaming piping hot Chicken & Mushroom Pie I had two nights ago, I don't remember burning my Lip off it but do recall it being very hot so maybe it's that. I eat Mandarins regularly and have never had any allergic reaction.

Anyway I don't know what it is. All I know is that it looks gross and nasty and disgusting and I can't really go anywhere because I don't know if it's an allergic reaction to something or if more of me is going to swell up. So annoying and ticked-off with it now too 'cos was hoping to get outn'about and meet friends and why is this my punishment after being on best behaviour during COVID. Un-lucky me as feicing usual. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Hopefully it will be all gone and fully-healed and back to normal in a couple of days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Bredabe wrote: »
    In my local chemist here, they changed the rules twice in as many months, I followed the rules according to the sign posts but was asked to wait outside, by going down the right side of the shop.

Left and Right are alien concepts to me, so I guessed which one I should take and was given the hard face as I was called back in front of everyone already in the shop, go RIGHT was snarled at me, so I asked them to point, got an eye roll and grudging pointing.

Next month, all changed and I couldn't cope on the basis it was proven to be a hostile place for those of us with r/l dyslexia.

Im not going in there until this is over, meds are expensive enough without an outbreak of humiliation. So OP I hear you!

TA business's who cater to all kinds of ppl, too mean to have enter/exit signs printed for the duration.

Here's a really simple tip for helping people remember left and right

Hold your hands straight out in front of you palms facing away.
    Put your thumbs at right angles.

The left-hand will make the L sign ðŸ˜

carolmon wrote: »

Like holding your hands up in front of your face, digits spread out - works a treat that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

carolmon wrote: »

We all know the tricks but the point is that one needs to think about it. I write with my right hand and know this but I have to think about which hand is which when following direction.

I think it may be genetic as my father was the same, and I would happily obey his order to turn left when he said so, but in fact he meant right, and I went right too. Used to drive my mother crazy. You would think I would get it correct randomly but nearly always pick the wrong one unless I think about it.

Neither of us has any other spatial awareness difficulty and we are both very crafty and agile with our hands. It is just a quirk and most of my frends now direct me in the car by saying your side or my side.

Google maps hasn't learnt that trick yet so there is always a tiny hesitation while I work out left from right turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

gammygils wrote: »
    Getting quotes for home insurance on line. Some insurers will have you answer loads and loads of questions. When I clicked on "Get Your Quote" a telephone number shows up to ring during office hours
    Wtf? :( And what a waste of time

That reminds me years ago i went through all that to get a quote.

Some fella rings me and i say to him anytime after 10 and before 12.Kids in school and i could talk in peace.

Did he ring between them hours.Did he heck.

In the end i told him to stop ringing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Too true. There are levels of disbelief but these are often well exceeded.

I have a few myself:

Hard-drinking pizza eating protagonist takes off his top and he's chiselled :D

Hostage/2 people tied up together in a confined area situation for several hours. Rarely anyone needs to use the toilet :p. Unlike other larger hostage situations, like banks for example where the robbers let people use the conveniences.

The stranded in the wilderness/deserted island for weeks situation. The females are rarely anymore "hirsute" than they were at the beginning of the adventure; evidenced by the fact that they've resorted to Daisy Dukes mode :pac:

Cop shows where they're interviewing a witness/potential suspect for thirty seconds plus and as they're walking away their phone rings :). Happens way too often when I'm watching SVU or Blue Bloods to be a coincidence.

There are more, obvious ones being fight scenes, car chases that defy the laws of physics and whatnot but I don't mind them as much. It's the aforementioned ones that are just, well too much imo.. :D

My movie bugbear is when some detective gets an IT nerd to look up some files that incriminates the bad guy, and when he gets the info he needs he goes: "this ends. TONIGHT" or something cheesy like that. I'm sure in real life it would be a lot more covert and carefully-planned.

My TA: got caught behind a learner driver on the way home with my takeaway last night, and remarkably got caught behind the same fella again this morning. I know we were all learner drivers once, but it's still annoying when they are crawling well below the speed limit on a road where you can't overtake.

My movie bugbear is when some detective gets an IT nerd to look up some files that incriminates the bad guy, and when he gets the info he needs he goes: "this ends. TONIGHT" or something cheesy like that. I'm sure in real life it would be a lot more covert and carefully-planned.
    Another thing that gets me is when they kick in doors on cop shows and films: one boot and CRASH! the door flies open every time. I had to break a door in once and it is nowhere near as easy as they make it look. You are more likely to end up with a sore foot, a bruised shoulder and egg on your face as you limp off to look for a jemmy.
    Unless it is that carpenters in America are a load of cowboys with their weak and shoddy workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Another thing that gets me is when they kick in doors on cop shows and films: one boot and CRASH! the door flies open every time. I had to break a door in once and it is nowhere near as easy as they make it look. You are more likely to end up with a sore foot, a bruised shoulder and egg on your face as you limp off to look for a jemmy.
    Unless it is that carpenters in America are a load of cowboys with their weak and shoddy workmanship.

Cowboys Ted, they're a bunch of cowboys

S02E07-WeWSTSR1.jpg

Why cant i get a black double duvet set anywhere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

There's a good thread on Digital Spy about this. The unrealistic things that happen on tv shows.

One in particular sticks in my mind - when the police arrive to ask someone about a crime, or whatever. The person just carries on doing what they are doing, for example, working on their car. They don't even spare a glance towards the police, in the process, never mind stop and engage in the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

There's a good thread on Digital Spy about this. The unrealistic things that happen on tv shows.

One in particular sticks in my mind - when the police arrive to ask someone about a crime, or whatever. The person just carries on doing what they are doing, for example, working on their car. They don't even spare a glance towards the police, in the process, never mind stop and engage in the conversation.

One thing that always gets on my nerves is that when there is a bomb on a timer that needs disarming, it's always around the 0, 1 or 2 seconds mark that they successfully disarm it at.

Also shows where the characters must fly around the world and it ever only seems to take them a half hour or so to reach anywhere in the world. I think there was one season of 24 in which Jack flew from America to Africa and back again, while carrying out multiple covert operations all well within the 24 hours that the show is supposed to be based upon.

My favourite.They live in a huge mansion,they have a row.

And theh sleep on the couch.Not only that,its the smallest couch made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Be right back

dubstarr wrote: »
    My favourite.They live in a huge mansion,they have a row.

And theh sleep on the couch.Not only that,its the smallest couch made.

If someone is told a phone number and they have no need to write it down. Great memories in tv land!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

It is the same with the old CSI shows.They get all the forensic evidence in minutes.As in the real life,the normal forensic labs are backlogged by weeks and months. Wouldn't it be great to be able to solve murders,rapes,robberies in 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Or when there's a fight between the main good guy and the main baddies, and they're thumping the heads off each other for 5 or 10 minutes, but if it's just a regular baddie, one punch and he's out cold.
    If someone is told a phone number and they have no need to write it down. Great memories in tv land!
    The same with addresses. They never have to say "Will you repeat that?".

Or somebody loses their phone and uses somebody else's (or a payphone) and they always know the number of the person they need to ring. In real life, most people don't remember phone numbers these days because they don't have to. Maybe a couple, but on these programmes it could be anyone they know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Neighbour's delightful kiddo like a Jackinthebox. Making showers here all day so no outside not even a walk for them it seems. They're up and down the Stairs all day long. Up and down. Up and down. Up. And. Down. I may as well knock out the adjoining wall 'cos it seems like they're in my Living-Room with me anyway.

Did I mention they're after having a second child in the last year... K.m.n.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Phoenix32

On the theme of unrealistic things that happen in tv shows do you ever notice that people never say goodbye when they hang up? It's like they just put down the phone after talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Metal fittings on soap dispensers that go rusty on contact with water

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Phoenix32 wrote: »
    On the theme of unrealistic things that happen in tv shows do you ever notice that people never say goodbye when they hang up? It's like they just put down the phone after talking.

Take up too much time........bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye etc.:pac:

On youtube videos where there is someone demonstrating how to do something, there is always some know-it-all blowhard in the comments section saying things like 'that is not how you do it, I've been doing it for years and you're doing it all wrong' etc. When people ask them what is the right way to do it or how come they don't post their own video they never give a reply.

Also on almost every music video on YT, first comment is 'who's listening in 2020/during Coronavirus?' :mad: Take a running jump!

Or i will pick up up fr dinner,dont give a time or what type of restaurant.They all must be Mystic Meg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

On the theme of unrealistic things that happen in tv shows .....

Stag parties held the night before the wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Not a TA but our prodigal cat returned. :)

Well he didn't so much return as I had to collect him from a house a mile away where he was being fed.

TA cats are such unloyal little pr*cks. :pac: I've aged about five years in a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Ha can imagine Liam Neeson in Taken threatening to hunt someone down and when he does he will find them and when he finds them he will kill them etc. and then saying, "ok, bye..bye..bye.. b-b--b-bye by-bye...bye" :D Definite loss of street cred :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Or when they ask for a pint in their local pub and the barman automatically knows what beer they want.

Anyway...I'm TA'd that the 101 bus drove past my stop this morning so I had to wait 20 minutes for the next one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement