Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hairdresser looking for 50% deposit before appointment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

@Graham look back over the comments and you will see, any more interesting comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thought so, thanks.

Meanwhile, back in reality.

I suspect a lot of hair and beauty businesses (along with many other types of business) will struggle and close over the coming months. Not because they're not working hard enough. Not because they're not working long enough. Not because they've increased prices.

Many will fail because reduced throughput as a result of social distancing will just make them unviable.

@Grahan, you right when you say social distancing will change thing, of course it will, business will have to adapt the businesses to this, look at what happened during lockdown, people went on line and some businesses trived, delivery companys could not keep up and a lot had to hire more people. Business changes all the time and if you are not willing to adapt your business then you will get left behind.

That's genius.

Tomorrow I am launching my e-hairdressers. You will be able to login and get a virtual haircut for half the price of a salon cut. ;)

@Graham, you are a very negative person, an e hairdressing will not work dont be so silly but a mobile hair dressing should trive in this environment, there is oppertunities in ever downturn it just needs a bit of imagination, not sure your capable of that tough. Maybe you could correct me there.??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

@Graham, you are a very negative person, an e hairdressing will not work dont be so silly but a mobile hair dressing should trive in this environment, there is oppertunities in ever downturn it just needs a bit of imagination, not sure your capable of that tough. Maybe you could correct me there.??

How do you propose to implement temperature checks and adequate PPE in someone’s home?

And all the time wasted driving from one house to the next

The same way you do it in a salon, there are solutions to everything, people put obstical up when there is no obsticals there, do i really have to spell that out

And delivery companies waste so much time do there deliveries, god, more obsticals, use your imagination, do the maths and you will find there is probable more profits for an individual do this than working in a salon,

The same way you do it in a salon, there are solutions to everything, people put obstical up when there is no obsticals there, do i really have to spell that out

Hang on Mary until I install a Perspex screen and disinfect your sink

• Advertisement

Yoh obviously have not got a clue

Pay for 6 perms upfront get a free screen in your kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not sure the overheads would drop by going mobile. you lose the rent and esb etc but then you need a car or van, apropiate insurance, tax etc, all the fuel etc not to mention the time driving around and loading stuff in and out

Yoh obviously have not got a clue

Obviously not. Have no beauty experience, never worked in a salon, never ran a salon, never owned a salon, just hashing it out for the sake of it.

Mobile hairdressers already exist, this is not a new concept, as for over heads, there is overhead in evety business,

not sure the overheads would drop by going mobile. you lose the rent and esb etc but then you need a car or van, apropiate insurance, tax etc, all the fuel etc not to mention the time driving around and loading stuff in and out

for each member of staff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

How do you propose to implement temperature checks and adequate PPE in someone’s home?

What extra PPE do they need that they don't already use? Masks, gloves? Most women's hairdressers used gloves pre covid for doing colours and the like and they're not very expensive. They can use reusable masks which can be used for up to 4hrs at a time surely and the customer can use their own mask.

Personally if prices for haircuts majorly go up when they reopen. I will stick to home jobs and only visit a barbers for events, holidays, job interviews and the like.

It not about working in a salon its about seeing oppertunities when they arise, on average a cut and culor cost anthing upto 100 euro could be mistaken maybe a little less/more. Average womens haircut 50-60 euro, work it out , do the maths, i would say it is a very viable business

Mobile hairdressers already exist, this is not a new concept, as for over heads, there is overhead in evety business,

thats my point. there are overheads in doing what you say. going mobile removes some but adds a lot more

and increases the risk to employees a lot

Graham wrote: »
    for each member of staff

exactly. if you worked on your own you wouldnt need to go mobile

• Advertisement

It not about working in a salon its about seeing oppertunities when they arise, on average a cut and culor cost anthing upto 100 euro could be mistaken maybe a little less/more. Average womens haircut 50-60 euro, work it out , do the maths, i would say it is a very viable business

As a nixer, on your days off. Having people call to your house. Not as a full time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Tell us more about your three imaginary businesses...

you do the maths and get back to us.
    putting a car or van under you and tax, insurance, fuel etc is a good fw thousand before you start to cover the other overheads

@HBC08 and thats why you will be working until you 65

Some people appear to be confusing a business with a freelance job.

Or maybe you dont work could be wrong but dont thing si

@Graham, its called self employed, get you wording correct, anymore negative comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

@sleeper12 when were you in a barbers that was busy 12hours a day 7days a week

That's true, but when do most people go to the barbers? It's at lunchtime, after work, weekends, basically times that suit them. If the barbershop already has capacity reduced and can't allow more than one or two to wait, they'll inevitably have to turn away business or hope that people will be willing to queue outside, socially distanced of course, for a protracted period of time. As everyone else returns to work they won't be in a position to go for a haircut at 11am on a Wednesday.

Nailer only 3 months ago were you enquiring about state benefits for both an unemployed husband and wife, so with all due respect, stop it. You’re entitled to your opinion without resorting to belittle people who might be working up until retirement age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would have no problem paying a deposit but if they jack up prices to cover the cost of PPE that’s a different story

Advertisement