Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage Subsidy Scheme Issues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

jonnny68 wrote: »
    i thought it was only Brits who used the word furlough, never heard anyone else here say that.

Was called work subsidy but I think the media started using furlough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

What part of furloughed don't you understand? Your workplace is closed or working at reduced capacity ,you receive percentage of wages until it reopens, unlike the Covid payment you can't work elsewhere.
    Those Bulgarians were coming before the quarantine,

Can you link to where your getting your information about not being able to work elsewhere? What I've googled about furloughing states the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Lies, they don't want people who reside here , truth is their whole business isn't solvent by Irish standards, don't be surprised if the whole thing goes belly up in a few months.

More sh1te from fakebook or some other place where stupids hang out.

Fruit picking is a semi skilled job. A good fruit picker will earn over €3,000 a month. Due to seasonal nature the jobs are nomadic around Europe.

Irish people tend not to like labor intensive jobs even if they are reasonably well paid.

Even a crop walker gets €2,000 a month - they simply walk up and down checking the crop.

But people like you prefer to believe the bullsh1t that the likes of sinn fein and other leftist whine bags spout.

Darc19 wrote: »

Fruit picking is a semi skilled job. A good fruit picker will earn over €3,000 a month. Due to seasonal nature the jobs are nomadic around Europe.

Irish people tend not to like labor intensive jobs even if they are reasonably well paid.

Even a crop walker gets €2,000 a month - they simply walk up and down checking the crop.

But people like you prefer to believe the bullsh1t that the likes of sinn fein and other leftist whine bags spout.
    Da bulgarians tuk their job

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

And so did the 350 a weekers Difference is I earned mine.

I get the resentment, but something had to be done. Nobody asked for this.

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    I get the resentment, but something had to be done. Nobody asked for this.

Yes but it needs to be paid back via tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Can you back up these figures ? I doubt much that they are earning that.

You couldn't charter a plane at the time, it was booked in advance, this shyte has been hammered out over 4 k posts on the original thread and you are now trying to get this one shut down as old Joe does like his lawsuits

You couldn't charter a plane at the time, it was booked in advance, this shyte has been hammered out over 4 k posts on the original thread and you are now trying to get this one shut down as old Joe does like his lawsuits

Is there only one company in the country? 1 food company

Da bulgarians tuk their job

By the way I've been working 4 of the last 6 weeks, that's probably more than you worked.

• Advertisement

By the way I've been working 4 of the last 6 weeks, that's probably more than you worked.

Did you find the link that's says you cant have a second job if you're furloughing? I'd be interested in reading it.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Can you back up these figures ? I doubt much that they are earning that.

Check out the adverts on the international job sites.

Some people thought it was €2,500-€3,000 for the 3 months and those stupids thought they were great pointing it out.

They went very quiet when it was shown clearly that the payments was per month.

Check the main thread on it.

Is there only one company in the country? 1 food company

You need to go outside, scream at the pigeons, cats or whatever creatures are wandering about, and then take a long hard look at yourself , mirror ,phone ,back of biscuit tin . I guess you won't like what you see.

More rubbish.

You can charter a plane tomorrow if you want.

The company in question followed a procedure that was proven to be the correct and agreed procedure but the sinn fein types absolutely hated the truth

Eg, the nationalist fools who hate people are getting more than their €200 unemployment payments and who wouldn't work in a blue moon

There are still schedule flights operating from various parts of Europe. Very few, but there are some.

Anyway this is way off topic.

You need to go outside, scream at the pigeons, cats or whatever creatures are wandering about, and then take a long hard look at yourself , mirror ,phone ,back of biscuit tin . I guess you won't like what you see.

Still no link to back up the claim you made?

Did you find the link that's says you cant have a second job if you're furloughing? I'd be interested in reading it.

If your workplace trade has lost more than 25% of trade you qualify for furlough, ours is down 60% so rather than let people go one half of the workforce work two weeks, then the other half does the next two, it's not that complicated, we get employer top-up for the weeks worked ,70%:for the other two. Did you even look at the criteria before ranting?

If your workplace trade has lost more than 25% of trade you qualify for furlough, ours is down 60% so rather than let people go one half of the workforce work two weeks, then the other half does the next two, it's not that complicated, we get employer top-up for the weeks worked ,70%:for the other two. Did you even look at the criteria before ranting?

No you said you cant work anywhere else if your furloughed from one company. Did you just make that up?

What part of furloughed don't you understand? Your workplace is closed or working at reduced capacity ,you receive percentage of wages until it reopens, unlike the Covid payment you can't work elsewhere.
    Those Bulgarians were coming before the quarantine,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

jaysus folks, 4 pages of crap there.
    anyone have any questions about the wage subsidy scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭Tow

Seve OB wrote: »
    jaysus folks, 4 pages of crap there.
    anyone have any questions about the wage subsidy scheme?

Maybe split into a second thread, for the discussion which seems to be mixed up with the British furlough scheme.

Back on topic. It would appear (unsurprisingly) from reports on RTE Radio 1 this morning, the scheme is going to be extended beyond the initial 12 week limit, which was to end in the middle of June.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

There seems to be some confusion between the UK furlough scheme here & the two payments available in Ireland.

UK furlough scheme is that your employer gets up to 80% of your wage but you are not allowed to do any work whatsoever for that business. You can do training but that's it. You can work at another job so long as your contract with your employer that has furloughed you allows it.

Irish schemes are the wage subsidy which the employer can claim whether you're working or not. The idea was to keep you on the books rather than letting people go.

Pandemic unemployment payment is for those who have been let go from their company. They are not furloughed. They don't have a job. Their companies may choose to rehire when they reopen but they are unemployed at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That is utter bs spouted by some tabloid morons that did not have a clue.

Yes it is regarded as income the same way as unemployment benefit is regarded as income. But as the weekly tax free allowance is over €350, no tax liability accrues.

But likewise, you cannot have the further benefits of your tax free allowance during the covid period for normal earnings at future dates.

Eg, if you get covid payment for 10 weeks, then those 10 weeks of your tfa are effectively cancelled

For someone spouting about "morons that did not have a clue" you seem to be mixing up the UK tax system with the Irish one.

We don't have tax-free allowances in Ireland - we have tax credits. They are an annual credit.

The tax system works in real time now. It will be automatically adjusted so that €350 of tax free earnings allowance will not be able to be used for earnings after you have returned to work.

So many people don't understand the tax system. Tabloid journalists and fakebook fools started this rubbish and simply had not a clue.

Stop posting complete and utter boll*x about the tax system - which you very clearly don't understand yourself.

We don't have tax-free allowances in Ireland. We have tax credits.

The individual tax credit is €1650 for the year - this is not adjusted.

There is a PAYE tax credit of €1650 for anyone who was in any PAYE employment at any point during the year, and once their overall earings are over €8,250 then it cannot be pro-rated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

At the end of the wage subsidy is it possible that we get a tax bill from Revenue with due amount on it and can be paid in one go or will it have to be done by tax credit system

SAMTALK wrote: »
    At the end of the wage subsidy is it possible that we get a tax bill from Revenue with due amount on it and can be paid in one go or will it have to be done by tax credit system

The guidance to date hasn't been particularly clear on the options.
    When an end of the year review takes place, it may be the case that an employee’s unused tax credits will cover any further liability that may arise. Where this is not the case, and should an Income Tax liability arise, it is normal Revenue practice to collect any tax owing in manageable amounts by reducing an individual’s tax credits for a future year(s) in order to minimise any hardship. Additionally, if an individual has any additional tax credits to claim, for example health expenses, this will also reduce any tax that may be owing.

Normal practice would allow for the option to make a payment against income tax at the time of the end of year review - but it hasn't been explicitly addressed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Indeed, rest assured the Revenue will know exactly what was paid to who and will reconcile accordingly, how they will collect what is due has yet to be determined.

Whether or not the wage subsidy should be taxed or not is purely open to individual's opinion, however Revenue's decision will be final, I can't see why they would treat it any differently to all the other benefit payments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

peoples tax will be calculated at the end of the year. For some they may have a decent amount owing for others (particularly in minimum wage bracket) they will have a small enough amount owing. Revenue has said this will be deducted form your payslip in the coming years. So any tax owed will be deducted in small amounts over a long period. They wont be knocking on your door on the 31/12 looking for the money back straight away...

snowgal wrote: »
    peoples tax will be calculated at the end of the year. For some they may have a decent amount owing for others (particularly in minimum wage bracket) they will have a small enough amount owing. Revenue has said this will be deducted form your payslip in the coming years. So any tax owed will be deducted in small amounts over a long period. They wont be knocking on your door on the 31/12 looking for the money back straight away...

I'm working all along and company is availing of wage subsidy scheme but wages have changed in the last 2 week. We are supposed to be on the same wage so needless to say we checked it out.

It looks like they have held back some of our money which we were putting aside for paying the tax bill so am wondering what can be done.

We have explained that this money is ours to put away / spend but seem to be getting no where

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

I'm paid monthly and contacted revenue about tax back received last month. They said I was due it and wont needed be paid back, but they were putting me on week 1 from now on which means I wont receive any further tax back I'm not due. Might be worth contacting revenue and see what they say

wazzer1 wrote: »
    I'm paid monthly and contacted revenue about tax back received last month. They said I was due it and wont needed be paid back, but they were putting me on week 1 from now on which means I wont receive any further tax back I'm not due. Might be worth contacting revenue and see what they say

Thought Revenue were not answering phones ?

Thanks will give them a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Thought Revenue were not answering phones ?

Thanks will give them a try

No theyll only contact through revenue online service

Advertisement