Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any personal achievements during the lockdown ? ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

A decent amount of facial hair growth is a bit of an achievement. Always wanted to grow out the beard a bit. Lockdown has provided the perfect opportunity for some additional face fluff

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I've managed to get my weight down, my IQ down, my chess rating down, the time for my 5k down and my sperm count down, though it keeps rebounding each day for some reason. :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Just Be Confident Bro

I have done SFA during lockdown and I love it. I'm on full pay and only have to work one day a week. This is how life should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

I'm learning the ukulele. I got a lovely gift a few years ago of a very nice one and never really picked it up..... my aim is to go into music maker and play stairway on the uke. Poor neighbours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm a double-jobbing student mom, keeping all balls in the air is an achievement in itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I'm a double-jobbing student mom, keeping all balls in the air is an achievement in itself!
    Oooooh Vicar!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I've picked up all the weight the other lads lost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I got a road bike a few days ago after a very long time without one and yesterday i conquered a steep hill near me. It felt so good getting to the top without stopping. I was chuffed i did it as my cardio/fitness is not what it used to be. I will definitely do more cycling and look to do long distance cycling as soon as im fitter.

I also got to bring my 6yr old for a 4k cycle today and the joy on her face as she got to cycle fast (in her eyes :D) past me a few times was quite uplifting....pure joy in her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

I’m on week 8 of couch to 5k and still can’t believe I haven’t given up yet.

Also have done a few bits of CPD and some online courses purely for interest which I’m loving having the time for.

Have also brushed up on my 6th class Maths skills - my head is spinning!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

Taught myself how to use a sewing machine. Making cloth masks galore for friends and family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Bought myself my first lawnmower for 20 years....

And I've cut out 3 practice greens on my lawn for my own little pitch & putt practice course (I'm a frustrated golfer)....

Also got back on the bike, first time for a long time, and managing to get out in this fab weather ~3~4 times per week

- set up a stereo with bt to play on my patio, very neat :)

Overall I'm looking forward to more traditional freedoms , but there are some aspects of lockdown that I've actually come to enjoy a little - All Good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

alta stare wrote: »
    I got a road bike a few days ago after a very long time without one and yesterday i conquered a steep hill near me. It felt so good getting to the top without stopping. I was chuffed i did it as my cardio/fitness is not what it used to be. I will definitely do more cycling and look to do long distance cycling as soon as im fitter.

I also got to bring my 6yr old for a 4k cycle today and the joy on her face as she got to cycle fast (in her eyes :D) past me a few times was quite uplifting....pure joy in her face.

I have seen so many parents bringing the kids out cycling, playing football etc. Its great that they have time to do this now without all the hassle of commuting, coming home late from work, meetings etc.
    For those who can work from home I can definetely see a lot of them taking up the opportunity of maybe 2 days a week work from home. The weekend will start at 4/5 on the Friday instead of being stuck in a car and coming in at 7.30 p.m.

Actually, now that I think back, the washing machine broke at 9 on a Saturday night, and we ordered one at about 1 am Sunday from DID. It arrived Monday at 9:30 am, and I had the old one out and the new one in in half an hour. :cool:

I was quite proud of myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

started jogging, into my 3rd week and feeling good after it, obviously it's a very long journey and i wont be running 10k for quite sometime but for someone my age to start jogging after 30+ years is an achievement in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I had already taken up a tiny bit of running, but decided to use the extra time of the lockdown to really push it, with the opportunity to have regular free time.

I've lost 5 stone/ 31KG since it started now. I'm nearly what you'd call healthy :D I can run a 5k every second day happily, and when I started I could only run a couple hundred metres.

I've also started a new career as software developer- although that was in the works before the lockdown too, it's all happened since and kept me busy.

Deadly :D fair play :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

karlitob wrote: »
    Very good. About 6 months into my new leather craft hobby. Just learning the basics - nothing useful made yet.

Where do you buy your leather?

Amazon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Actually, now that I think back, the washing machine broke at 9 on a Saturday night, and we ordered one at about 1 am Sunday from DID. It arrived Monday at 9:30 am, and I had the old one out and the new one in in half an hour. :cool:

I was quite proud of myself.

Hope you took out the transit bolts.

Edgware wrote: »
    I have seen so many parents bringing the kids out cycling, playing football etc. Its great that they have time to do this now without all the hassle of commuting, coming home late from work, meetings etc.
    For those who can work from home I can definetely see a lot of them taking up the opportunity of maybe 2 days a week work from home. The weekend will start at 4/5 on the Friday instead of being stuck in a car and coming in at 7.30 p.m.

Yeah it is great seeing families out doing stuff together. Sometimes i dont want to go back to work at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

100km cycle in 8km loops of city streets, twice.

I'm so glad the lockdown here is lifted and can get back into the hills and countryside for proper cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I managed to get a covert haircut during the lockdown. Quite a feat here in the US to accomplish this and avoid jail-time. :)

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I had already taken up a tiny bit of running, but decided to use the extra time of the lockdown to really push it, with the opportunity to have regular free time.

I've lost 5 stone/ 31KG since it started now. I'm nearly what you'd call healthy :D I can run a 5k every second day happily, and when I started I could only run a couple hundred metres.

I've also started a new career as software developer- although that was in the works before the lockdown too, it's all happened since and kept me busy.

Woah, down 3kg myself just by cutting out bread/cereal/milk and thought that was good going :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I don’t know whether I need weight watchers for AA or both - eating and drinking all around me.

Have done some CPD every day, having to get a whole load of PPE in and Perspex screens etc, costing a fortune and back at work since last Monday.

It’s good to have the focus - just ordered bigger size in scrubs!

wyndham wrote: »
    Hope you took out the transit bolts.

Seems to be working fine, so I must have. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Finished a 30 days of yoga challenge.

Started working on getting two theses written up for publication.

Getting some actual downtime to relax and catch up on TV, games and podcasts. That's an achievement for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

went from zero running to a 10K this week. Im reasonably fit but cycling and gym fitness didn't seem to be any help

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,742 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

silverharp wrote: »
    went from zero running to a 10K this week. Im reasonably fit but cycling and gym fitness didn't seem to be any help

I thought I was reasonably fit too but started jogging as there's not much else to do and 5k a couple of times a week is easy enough now. It's so nice to jog in the local park.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Seems to be working fine, so I must have. :pac:

You will know if you didnt when it comes dancing toward you during a spin cycle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Started learning Latin online - no particular reason apart from it being something I've always had it in my head to do.

Mater domi dormit, sed soror in urbe est.
    (The mother is sleeping at home, but the sister is in the city.)

One day, this will be useful to me. :D

nthclare wrote: »
    I'll do anything from a keyring to a handbag or wallet, Viking body armour, purses, if someone wanted a custom made leather face mask cover, I'll design them their own personal gimp mask, as it's all the rage now.

Could you make this mask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I always ran. So ...that's not an achievement. :(

no nothing

Advertisement