Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

There was a tweet from the paediatric journal posted in the main covid thread relating to this.

From the tweet it looks like they are unsure of cause whether covid 19 or another serious inflammatory pathogen.

Either way if its your kid sick in intensive care I doubt the intricacies of identification are going to be your priority.

I honestly don't know what's better news... Another side affect of Covid 19 or another pathogen infecting children, both are pretty grim to be fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

khalessi wrote: »
    I am just popping this up here as it could be an important development re the reopening of schools and something to watch out for:

Most children if they get Covid19 cope well and recover but there is a rise over the last few weeks in UK of children presenting with a multi-system inflammatory state requiring intensive care across London and also in other regions of the UK.'

They are saying it is Covid19 related and looks similar to toxic shock syndrome and Kawasaki disease which, combined, cause harmful internal swelling, fever and breathing problems - all hallmark signs of COVID-19

https://www.hsj.co.uk/acute-care/exc...027496.article

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-children.html

If so this virus is mental in how it is affecting people and constantly changes and develops

Do you have a good link for that first article? It would be concerning if they removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Star baby I am sorry I'd the Paediatric Intensive Care Society is not a good enough source

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Star baby I am sorry I'd the Paediatric Intensive Care Society is not a good enough source

I didn’t say that. I see your picking out parts of text isn’t confined to articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

RTÉ are reporting on the possible link between Covid-19 and Kawasaki disease: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0427/1135185-doctors-explore-reports-of-inflammatory-disease-in-kids/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Schools should be back in June.
    The anti vax Kawasakis can keep their children at home.

Scoondal wrote: »
    Schools should be back in June.
    The anti vax Kawasakis can keep their children at home.

Explain how they are anti vax?

You do realise you don’t have to be on video during a zoom call ? It can be voice and slides only ?

If it’s not practical to work from home, you could suggest to the school that it’s opened for a short while each day to allow you work from your classroom. I am sure social isolation is possible in a classroom.

Everyone has to deal with challenges during this time. Long before this I have taken many a work call with a sick child sleeping on my shoulder. People are very understanding of people’s circumstances

But what people struggle with is radio silence from teachers or a weekly email and this constitutes going their best !!
    Explain how they are anti vax?
    What are you asking ? The multi quotes are random.

What are you asking ? The multi quotes are random.

curious didnt see other quote when posting no idea why there.

Anyway in your comment you said anti vax Kawasakis

WHat do you mean by anti vax?

I think that I have found your point of view.
    I think that primary schools should be back in four weeks. If parents have concerns about any diseases, they should home school their children.

• Advertisement

I think that primary schools should be back in four weeks. If parents have concerns about any diseases, they should home school their children.

How does your anti vax Kawasaki remark fit in there?

How does your anti vax Kawasaki remark fit in there?

When the schools reopen ... any parent can freely/without question from school keep their child at home. No " sorry " attendance notes.
    If I consider that there is a risk of any disease ( Covid19, Anti vax children, Kawaski symptoms) I will home school.

When the schools reopen ... any parent can freely/without question from school keep their child at home. No " sorry " attendance notes.
    If I consider that there is a risk of any disease ( Covid19, Anti vax children, Kawaski symptoms) I will home school.

fine just anti vax Kawasaki incorrect terminology as there is no vaccine for Kawasaki, your terminology implies there is

fine just anti vax Kawasaki incorrect terminology as there is no vaccine for Kawasaki, your terminology implies there is

There is no vaccine for Kawasaki, HIV, MERs, SARs or Covid19. Should we treat these diseases medicinally to bring down the death rate ?
    I do not think any of these viruses have a vaccine yet.

There is no vaccine for Kawasaki, HIV, MERs, SARs or Covid19. Should we treat these diseases medicinally to bring down the death rate ?
    I do not think any of these viruses have a vaccine yet.

Cant ansswer a statement when it is inorrect as HIV is not contagious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Did anyone watch Prime Time last night. They had a principal from a school in Ballymun. It was good for them to show the classroom and show the reality of trying to maintain social distancing in schools. Its not possible on corridors/bathrooms certainly in some of the older schools. Then the need to reduce the class size to 10 students. Assuming the classroom size is decent. Its not going to be easy to figure out.

Is it even possible for some age groups to be taught this way? I couldnt see the younger classes being managed at all?
    Would one day a week work for 3 groups of 10 and then home/remote learning for the remaining 2 days? This is where teacher feedback is crucial.

jrosen wrote: »
    Did anyone watch Prime Time last night. They had a principal from a school in Ballymun. It was good for them to show the classroom and show the reality of trying to maintain social distancing in schools. Its not possible on corridors/bathrooms certainly in some of the older schools. Then the need to reduce the class size to 10 students. Assuming the classroom size is decent. Its not going to be easy to figure out.

Is it even possible for some age groups to be taught this way? I couldnt see the younger classes being managed at all?
    Would one day a week work for 3 groups of 10 and then home/remote learning for the remaining 2 days? This is where teacher feedback is crucial.

I missed it but we (teachers) have been saying it in various posts here, so it is good to have the visual on primetime. The general response was that we didnt want the school open but when you see the actuall space and realise that a lot of 5th and 6th class are as tall as the teachers and in some cases taller, the difficulties emerge.

Also take into account you are dealing with an age group where hygiende isn't foremost in their minds, cleaning tables at the best of times can be horrendous especially underneath them. Must have a look at Primetime later. Cough etuquette and other basic hygiene goes ovelooked unless reminded or you are teaching maths or Irish :D then they spend coniderable time handwashing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

What are you basing that on? I struggle to see how they will be back in September TBH. Maybe, maybe secondary school kids that can understand the need to stay apart and who could be given self directed learning but certainly no kids under 8-10 years. It would be impossible to keep them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/swiss-elderly-told-they-can-hug-children-who-are-under-10-as-theyre-not-spreaders-39166432.html

This could change things in the medium term. If this is proven to be somewhat the case it could open up primary schools quicker than secondary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

If schools don't reopen in September it's going to start to have a real detrimental and long term impact on kids' social development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

kowloonkev wrote: »
    If schools don't reopen in September it's going to start to have a real detrimental and long term impact on kids' social development.

Agreed. I am happy enough to wait until September but am hoping for some kind of workable plan for then or not too far away from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

kowloonkev wrote: »

I agree. We are already noticing changes in our young child. More meltdowns, crying easier etc. Obviously bored as too young for school and no siblings.
    We are racked with guilt that we are WFH and not engaging him as much as we should. I don't think what we are doing now is sustainable.

I missed it but we (teachers) have been saying it in various posts here, so it is good to have the visual on primetime. The general response was that we didnt want the school open but when you see the actuall space and realise that a lot of 5th and 6th class are as tall as the teachers and in some cases taller, the difficulties emerge.

Also take into account you are dealing with an age group where hygiende isn't foremost in their minds, cleaning tables at the best of times can be horrendous especially underneath them. Must have a look at Primetime later. Cough etuquette and other basic hygiene goes ovelooked unless reminded or you are teaching maths or Irish :D then they spend coniderable time handwashing lol

Im in the group of wanting the kids back. Im concerned we will see huge numbers of kids slipping behind and never being able to gain that time back again. But practically I dont know how it can be done safely. Taking away the number of teachers who have underlying health issues and would be deemed at risk, then those who are parents who may not have anyone to take their own kids. Teacher numbers will fall.

But if schools and childcare do not go back we cant go back to work.

I agree. We are already noticing changes in our young child. More meltdowns, crying easier etc. Obviously bored as too young for school and no siblings.
    We are racked with guilt that we are WFH and not engaging him as much as we should. I don't think what we are doing now is sustainable.

Try not to feel guilty. I know easier said than done. But you have been given an impossible task. I dont know how anyone working is managing and its not sustainable long term.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary teacher here, please, please don't be feeling anxious or guilty, you can only do so much. It may be that he is thinking that because you are home, that you are available 24/7. Even very young children can understand that you can't be with him all the time. Set up an activity with him ,give him some time at the start and tell him that you are looking forward to seeing how he gets on, but you must do some work now, in the same way as you would be cooking dinner/hoovering etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

If they had a sibling you'd spend your whole time telling them to leave each other alone.

It's tough, everyone with kids are struggling. The children are also picking up on our stressed vibes.

Also don't know how old your child is but if they didn't turn into a monster at two they will at three. So there could be that at play too.

I've no real advice, maybe bring them out for a walk before work, maybe the other parent can bring them for one at lunch.... If nothing else it will take the edge off their energy.... I try and teach them the name of flowers we see and get them to count the flowers.

Another idea is if you can get your hands on a bird feeder.... Mine loved sitting in a highchair looking out at the birds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Secondary timetables will probably have to be redrawn over the summer to allow for smaller groups.

Don't think any year group will do a 5-day week in the school building and learning will be a mixture of online support and reduced face-to-face time.

At least the prospect of seeing their teacher might shake a few of the students not engaging into life

jrosen wrote: »

I just watched Prime Time, interesting viewing and the class they showed was at most a first class but more then likely a junior or senior infant class. How few of the senior students would they fit considering the furniture and the cihildren are bigger?

Also found the bit about masks interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

trapp wrote: »
    Seem to be repeating the same thing in this thread all the time.

This pandemic is here to stay in some form for the next year or two.

Two choices for schools, open in some form or stay shut for two years.

Presuming we want to open schools the group, including some teachers, that are constantly coming up with obstacles need to change their mindset.

It's not about why we cant open schools but instead how we can open them.

Instead of pointing out the reasons why not, instead think of ways to make the impossible become possible.

Any teachers who can't come in or feel they can't can receive a reduced payment while they are waiting.

And that previous line is not a dig at teachers its just the reality the country is in at the moment.

Harsh as it sounds education for the children of the country can't just be put off for a few years because a teacher is vulnerable or at risk. These teachers might just have to wait until the virus danger is completely gone.

What are your practical solutions so?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement