Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Here is another shocking number.
    82. and another one 2,666 and the next one 32,000

32,000 people die in Ireland every year. (average number from the last 5 years)
    That make it about 2,666 a month or 82 a day.

Average age of people who died is over 80 and absolute majority of them had one or more underlying health conditions. While we have to treat this virus with respect as it cause great deal of pain to some of the people infected and vulnerable people may die contracting it we should not panic but rather try to learn to live with it. This virus is not going anywhere or going to dissappear, it is here to stay.
    Yes, a little perspective is needed - here is a nice graph illustrating the daily covid 19 deaths alongside the average daily deaths from the top 15 causes of death in the US. The graph is a few days out of date, so you'll have to imagine the yellow bar about a quarter longer for yesterday's number, but it should still provide some perspective.
    https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Some parents you mean . I live in one of those areas and everyone around me are being careful and doing what told
    Please do not lump everyone in Tallaght snd Clondalkin into the same boat

I clearly didnt mean every teenager in Tallaght and clondalkin was in the respective villages. That would be thousands of kids...............

I even qualified it by saying theyre the same kids that do nothing but hang around in gangs all day causing trouble during normal times.
    BanditLuke wrote: »
    Seen the same around here in D14 so don't attempt to make this a working class thing.

You get sh1t parents everywhere.

Why would I be making it a working class thing. I'm from Tallaght and live in Clondalkin for the most part. It's the areas I'm in so know theyre the same kids . Stop looking for something to be outraged at.

The only time I'm in D14 is working or passing through, so the parenting styles of that area have little effect on me.

The others closed because they had too few customers to remain open and the few that they did have acted like morons (e.g. blocking roads queueing) creating negative publicity for them..

McDonalds decided to close en mass early enough on. They very much werent suffering from a lack of customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seen a few leather-clad bikers about these past few days whizzen past my rural home ....and there's no way you can tell me they're within their 2k perimeter limit :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

fryup wrote: »
    seen a few leather-clad bikers about these past few days whizzen past my rural home ....and there's no way you can tell me they're within their 2k perimeter limit :cool:

I'm no biker

But I would make one note.
    All the biker groups around here are advertising that they are doing things like... Blood and platelet transport, OAP deliveries, PPE deliveries etc.

The 2km limit is for excercise. So it's either 0km or an essential journey in a motorbike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^

well these guys were definitely not doing deliveries, young bucks out for thrills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭donaghs

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^

well these guys were definitely not doing deliveries, young bucks out for thrills

The government need to explain how the lockdown will end. Even sensible people will be become disillusioned with it as they know the longer it goes on the closer the Great Depression abyss looms.

At least other governments abroad are trying to do this. Austria, Denmark etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I'm sticking to it completely because I want this to be over as quickly as possible, but am well aware that a significant amount of people aren't bothering. I work on a supermarket checkout and several of the customers are beyond infuriating.

Yesterday I served a woman who had driven 26 miles to where I work because she was bored even though there are two large supermarkets in her home town. A huge amount of customers only buy a couple of items and say they are only in the store just to get out of the house. Most people are selfish a**holes.

That is easy for you to say but you are getting out of the house to work, where you are interacting with other people, the people who are driving miles to shop might be looking at the 4 walls all day with no one to talk to. it is funny and sad at the same time. maybe it is you who is selfish for not thinking about how the lockdown is effecting others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Me and my family are sticking to the restrictions except for the exercise bit. I cycle and have ventured further than the 2km limit but I stick to lonely rural country roads near me. Today I went 16km up into the mountains and never met a single car or other person...it was pure bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 djdwainec

Me and my family are sticking to the restrictions except for the exercise bit. I cycle and have ventured further than the 2km limit but I stick to lonely rural country roads near me. Today I went 16km up into the mountains and never met a single car or other person...it was pure bliss.

So your not sticking to the restrictions, everyone is being effected by this and everyone should be sticking to ALL of the restrictions, not just the ones that suit them. Seeing people post on this thread about people close to them dying would give others a bit more cop on but apparently not.

• Advertisement

djdwainec wrote: »
    So your not sticking to the restrictions, everyone is being effected by this and everyone should be sticking to ALL of the restrictions, not just the ones that suit them. Seeing people post on this thread about people close to them dying would give others a bit more cop on but apparently not.

I'm sure you are aware of the recent report from China examining 7000 cases in that they reported 0 cases of the virus being transmitted outside. And more locally I've read this evening the majority of our cases are located in nursing homes accounting for 70% of all deaths.

Vitamin d has also been shown to reduce the symptoms of coronavirus.

Plus I don't blame people at this stage of being fed up with certain restrictions.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

tdf7187 wrote: »
    So you are in fact breaching the guidelines. Youve just decided they dont apply to you. Well at least u are honest.

Well yeah, I guess I am. But when I don't meet one single person on my runs, then the chances of me infecting anyone/getting infected myself are probably pretty slim :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'll put this out there, my grandad lived till he was 83..... He died back in 2001 and it was an absolute kick to the teeth.... I absolutely loved been able to spend time with him and on the farm.... My mum and him never got on but that's another story if he were here now and around 30 he would most definitely have died as he had an underlying health issue.... Don't for one minute think ah sure they're old and lived their lives..... Many are dying and have continued to contribute to society into old age..... We should be doing everything we can to make them enjoy what is left and for those in pain to be not anymore and comfortable.

I see numerous people every day not give an absolute fluck about anyone but themselves......

Seriously it's really not that bad, stay at home, go out if necessary and just chill, hopefully it will be fixed soon, we as humans have got through similar or worse but I do understand also that it's a shock but we need to now more then ever come together as they say to help others and ourselves.

I sincerely wish you all the luck in the world and I honestly hope this makes us realise there is actually more to work and live better lives when it's over.

I hand on heart really feel for those that have lost their lives early and for all their families and friends and also everyone else that is in the firing line that are helping these such as all care workers, cleaners, bin men/women, transport staff, factory workers, shop staff, delivery drivers etc etc a d I mean that, you all are special in a good way and I sincerely appreciate everything you are doing helping others.....

I do hope more can contribute and we get through this.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭keybordWarrior

Well yeah, I guess I am. But when I don't meet one single person on my runs, then the chances of me infecting anyone/getting infected myself are probably pretty slim :)

I would say your 6km runs in the countryside are much less risky then someone actually going the 2km in an urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

pgj2015 wrote: »
    the people who are driving miles to shop might be looking at the 4 walls all day with no one to talk to. it is funny and sad at the same time. maybe it is you who is selfish for not thinking about how the lockdown is effecting others.

Nope, its the ignorant ones who think they're entitled to be out as they see fit that are selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Nope, its the ignorant ones who think their entitled to be out as they see fit that are selfish.

That is a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

no its not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Flying Fox wrote: »
    So anyone with an underlying health condition is dispensible?

You're working off the assumption that the vulnerable groups are already at death's door. Most of them are not. My dad likely would have had a few more years to live if he hadn't contracted the virus. People older and frailer than him have recovered.

Death rates are up significantly on the same period last year, it's blindingly obvious why that is.

I am so sorry for you and your families loss, rest assured I am confident the majority of the Irish people understand that just because people are old or in Ill health does not make them disposable. My dad is in high risk with heart failure and he is indispensable to us. I haven't seen him since early March and will continue not to in order for his and other at risk people's safety.

No it's actually a brilliant idea, as the further one goes the bigger the risk, that goes for anyone.....

You could be completely fine but a spreader or god forbid a super spreader...... Unknown to you you could well be spreading and obviously not meaning to so the whole idea of staying close to home cuts this risk considerably....

That is easy for you to say but you are getting out of the house to work, where you are interacting with other people, the people who are driving miles to shop might be looking at the 4 walls all day with no one to talk to. it is funny and sad at the same time. maybe it is you who is selfish for not thinking about how the lockdown is effecting others.

Theres plenty of space n a 2km radius of anyones house for walking around or whatever. Theres no reason to be going in to a supermarket to stop being bored.

• Advertisement

Theres plenty of space n a 2km radius of anyones house for walking around or whatever. Theres no reason to be going in to a supermarket to stop being bored.

Many are going well outside that but also staying within 2km but walking a circle and so on.....

Pure bliss cause everyone else is obeying the rules. We’d all love to go up the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Sticking to the restrictions. I live rural and have the benefit of lots of quiet places within the 2km radius, I only shop once every two weeks and chemist once a month. I'm not finding it difficult. I can understand others with less space around them may do. I am trying not to catch the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Singapore looking at a 2nd wave.
    Warnings coming from Germany and UK about a 2nd wave.
    - Germany where they got everything right so far
    - UK where the f**ked up so bad, one would hope they are trying to rectify it.

Ireland - Noise levels have started increasing since the lockdown, implying that people have started to ignore restrictions and have become more lax about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

I'm very much sticking to the official restrictions, but I'm finding that I'm becoming more lax in terms of the optional stuff i.e. wiping down groceries and I caved and ordered a contact-free takeaway last weekend. That said, these types of behavior are (almost) only putting myself at risk as opposed to others. The risk is other's passing it to me rather than me to them. I'm quite young and healthy so while I understand that anyone can, in theory, get really sick, there's probably a much lessened risk of it being me needing a ventilator than someone else. That's how I justified the takeaway anyways :o

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

I'm not consciously but I do find that I don't check the daily numbers or news anymore, it's no longer really at the forefront of my mind and I'm pretty lax about the 2km.

I don't act the bollox like organise a party or something but if I need to go do something, I will do it.

This can't go on months/indefinitely, I suspect (although they mightn't admit it) that people will tire of it and just start relaxing themselves bit by bit as this goes on.

We have one of the most sparsely populated countries in Europe yet we can't travel 2km without the guards being all over us. And they're rarely seen in normal times. Germany, Netherlands, Nordic countries, Canada and many more have no restrictions on going out to the park or the mountains or the seaside with social distancing. Absolutely no chance of catching Covid outdoors if 2 metre distances are kept. Much much more chance when going shopping.

This madness cant go on and on, people are brainwashed into being scared to leave their homes. It's utter madness and the mental health ramifications are already manifesting and will for some time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Ive been sticking to restrictions in excess, I literally go to the shop for food once a week and then home. I feel that because so many people arent sticking to restrictions, I have to cocoon more than I would like to or should have to. I live with people who are very high risk, if I brought this virus into our home, it would kill them.

The streets were I would usually go for a walk and are normally quiet, are so packed with people walking and hanging around, it feels uncomfortable to go for walks now, it's like walking through a busy street in the center of town its so busy now since the lock down.

After going to the shop, went for a spin with a housemate in her car - we didnt get out of the car, just drove around and to a little village outside my town, a village that is usually dead, no one around at all, since lockdown it is packed full of people, people have been driving there just to go for walks. Residence have been complaining about cars being left parked on footpaths. Wheelchair users have had to either turn back home as they cant get passed the parked cars or if theres a dip in the footpath which will allow them to wheel off it, they have to go round the car onto a busy road to get passed.
    When we drove through the village it was 6pm on a weekday and is usually a ghost town, it was like driving through a summer holiday spot in peak season.

The selfishness of people during this crisis is honestly just head wrecking at this point. Can people seriously not comprehend that not everything is about themselves. Just stay home, what is so hard about that for some people? I dont get it, some people cant handle the slightest bit of inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Ive been sticking to restrictions in excess, I literally go to the shop for food once a week and then home. I feel that because so many people arent sticking to restrictions, I have to cocoon more than I would like to or should have to. I live with people who are very high risk, if I brought this virus into our home, it would kill them.

The streets were I would usually go for a walk and are normally quiet, are so packed with people walking and hanging around, it feels uncomfortable to go for walks now, it's like walking through a busy street in the center of town its so busy now since the lock down.

After going to the shop, went for a spin with a housemate in her car - we didnt get out of the car, just drove around and to a little village outside my town, a village that is usually dead, no one around at all, since lockdown it is packed full of people, people have been driving there just to go for walks. Residence have been complaining about cars being left parked on footpaths. Wheelchair users have had to either turn back home as they cant get passed the parked cars or if theres a dip in the footpath which will allow them to wheel off it, they have to go round the car onto a busy road to get passed.
    When we drove through the village it was 6pm on a weekday and is usually a ghost town, it was like driving through a summer holiday spot in peak season.

The selfishness of people during this crisis is honestly just head wrecking at this point. Can people seriously not comprehend that not everything is about themselves. Just stay home, what is so hard about that for some people? I dont get it, some people cant handle the slightest bit of inconvenience.

Whats selfish about going for a walk in the mountains, forests or the huge amount of wilderness we have on this island? What harm can you cause anyone? Lets all stay cooped up up like goldfish because Leo said so. Horse****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Her name preceded her- airy fairy.

Probably worships Leo and the boys. Every time they come on the tv “they’re doing a fantastic job”

Fully agree on the Garda trying to turn this place into a policed state for god knows how long.

I went back up north for a day from Dublin last week to visit the folks. Might spend a few days next week up there again, much more enjoyable in the countryside at present than urban life.

What I can’t stand are the absolute gob****es taking photos and tattle taling of people hogging paths etc on walkways. It’s not right ok, but please get a grip. If you’re that easily offended stay indoors. People who are couped up all day have lost the plot, literally shouting at people’s children for playing.

• Advertisement

sully2010 wrote: »
    Whats selfish about going for a walk in the mountains, forests or the huge amount of wilderness we have on this island? What harm can you cause anyone? Lets all stay cooped up up like goldfish because Leo said so. Horse****

Leo said to get out of the house and exercise

Advertisement