Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Invalidity pension application during covid 19

• 16-04-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi
    I sent in my IP application early Jan and still no decision has been made every time i ring im told the same "its with the medical department ", my illness benefit finishes late May Im not able to work and I dont have a clue about social welfare. What is a person suppose to do if I dont get an answer on my IP and my illness benefit runs out? Any information is greatly appreciated. Im in such a mess mentally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

under normal circumstances IP applications can take 6 months or more so idimagine right now that time is alot longer.
    You can contact the CWO for SWA if your still awaiting a decision in may, but this is heavily means tested so if you have other income in a family you may be turned down

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Karoq wrote: »
    Hi
    I sent in my IP application early Jan and still no decision has been made every time i ring im told the same "its with the medical department ", my illness benefit finishes late May Im not able to work and I dont have a clue about social welfare. What is a person suppose to do if I dont get an answer on my IP and my illness benefit runs out? Any information is greatly appreciated. Im in such a mess mentally.

I’m so sorry you’re having such a difficult time. If you haven’t heard back from IP by first week in May then you should contact your local CWO to talk about getting you a payment for when your IB runs out.
    Life is difficult enough when your sick without having no money.
    The CWO will sort you out.
    In the meantime if you have any further evidence to support your claim, even if it’s just a letter from yourself describing how you are too sick to work then don’t hesitate to send it up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Karoq

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m so sorry you’re having such a difficult time. If you haven’t heard back from IP by first week in May then you should contact your local CWO to talk about getting you a payment for when your IB runs out.
    Life is difficult enough when your sick without having no money.
    The CWO will sort you out.
    In the meantime if you have any further evidence to support your claim, even if it’s just a letter from yourself describing how you are too sick to work then don’t hesitate to send it up to them.

I rang IP section today and they told me a medical decision has been made and they will now look at the overall application but they dont know what the medical decision is. They said thats all they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Don't be surprised or disheartened if your Invalidity application is refused. A lot of refusals are overturned on appeal. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but don't take any refusal to mean that you aren't entitled to the payment. You always have the right to appeal. Good luck and hope you get the answer you are looking for.

Don't be surprised or disheartened if your Invalidity application is refused. A lot of refusals are overturned on appeal. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but don't take any refusal to mean that you aren't entitled to the payment. You always have the right to appeal. Good luck and hope you get the answer you are looking for.

Is it normal for invalidity pension section not to give details if an application is approved or not over the phone? Also what is meant if the medical decision goes to deciding officer

• Advertisement

Is it normal for invalidity pension section not to give details if an application is approved or not over the phone? Also what is meant if the medical decision goes to deciding officer

Yes it’s one of the big rules. You have to get the final decision in writing. If you have been refused you can ask for a review if you have more evidence that you haven’t already submitted and/or you can take it to the Appeals Officer but only if you have a copy of the written refusal.
    Your application will go to the medical officer in Dublin if it’s not a clear cut case of approved/disapproved. Don’t forget the staff in Longford aren’t medically qualified to decide if you are incapable of work or not.
    Unless you’ve had a catastrophic life changing accident/illness/medical emergency/terminal diagnoses then most applications are referred to Dublin.

Yes it’s one of the big rules. You have to get the final decision in writing. If you have been refused you can ask for a review if you have more evidence that you haven’t already submitted and/or you can take it to the Appeals Officer but only if you have a copy of the written refusal.
    Your application will go to the medical officer in Dublin if it’s not a clear cut case of approved/disapproved. Don’t forget the staff in Longford aren’t medically qualified to decide if you are incapable of work or not.
    Unless you’ve had a catastrophic life changing accident/illness/medical emergency/terminal diagnoses then most applications are referred to Dublin.

Good news I have been awarded IP, such a relief its an awful feeling not knowing what the decision was going to be, I actually feel for those who must review and appeal.
    Thank god some positive news for me.

Good news I have been awarded IP, such a relief its an awful feeling not knowing what the decision was going to be, I actually feel for those who must review and appeal.
    Thank god some positive news for me.

Congrats on your successful application. In certain circumstances you will be able to apply for HBP and living alone increase too.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Just a few points:
    1. A medical assessor cannot make a decision as they are not appointed as Deciding Officers and have no legal power to do so. A medical assessor gives a medical opinion. A Deciding Officer makes a decision and can award Invalidity Pension even when a medical assessor's opinion is not favourable to the claimant.
    2. Medical assessors are based all over Ireland, not just Dublin.
    3. Medical assessors can offer an opinion based on either an "in person" medical assessment or a "desk" assessment.
    Hope this helps

mystic wrote: »
    Just a few points:
    1. A medical assessor cannot make a decision as they are not appointed as Deciding Officers and have no legal power to do so. A medical assessor gives a medical opinion. A Deciding Officer makes a decision and can award Invalidity Pension even when a medical assessor's opinion is not favourable to the claimant.
    2. Medical assessors are based all over Ireland, not just Dublin.
    3. Medical assessors can offer an opinion based on either an "in person" medical assessment or a "desk" assessment.
    Hope this helps

Thanks for that

• Advertisement
Advertisement