Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-04-2020, 12:11   #1
Earnshaw

Covid Unemplyment Payment for Part-Time Farmers

Has anyone got insight into the following...

If you are laid off from a full time job for a number of weeks but are still operating as a part time self employed farmer - then can you claim the €350/week payment from welfare?

Thanks.
Advertisement
01-04-2020, 12:17   #2
Sugarbowl

In that situation here. Applied but have heard nothing back.
01-04-2020, 12:19   #3
aaakev

From what iv heard yes you can. There is a big thread with loads of info in the covid 19 forum
Thanks from:
01-04-2020, 21:30   #4
Sugarbowl

Any Suckler/Part time farmers receive a payment today if ye lost ye’re main job?
01-04-2020, 21:35   #5
SEPT 23 1989

Farm needs to "cease trading"

You will get the 350.00 but when it's all over Revenue will be looking back with a fine toothed comb

Wouldn't bother if you have any means to keep going
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-04-2020, 21:55   #6
august12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPT 23 1989 View Post

You will get the 350.00 but when it's all over Revenue will be looking back with a fine toothed comb

What is the definition of 'cease trading', if a farmer unfortunately had a restricted herd and just got the all clear in the last few days and now marts are closed, would one be able to claim this payment on grounds of no income stream.
Forgot to add, full time farming.
01-04-2020, 21:57   #7
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPT 23 1989 View Post

Why would they be any different to another PAYE worker that’s lost their job? Lots of part time farmers in jobs that would have been hit hard by this. They deserve the same support as anyone else if paying PAYE, PRSI and USC
(2) thanks from:
01-04-2020, 22:10   #8
Sugarbowl

Didn’t get the payment in the first run so I’m guessing it’s the farm that has me withheld from it.

My wage is now gone and a few suckie cows are only costing me money! Can’t make sense of it!
01-04-2020, 22:21   #9
august12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarbowl View Post
Didn’t get the payment in the first run so I’m guessing it’s the farm that has me withheld from it.

My wage is now gone and a few suckie cows are only costing me money! Can’t make sense of it!
That makes no sense, so someone with two jobs wouldn't get it if they lost one job, I understood anyone who had lost a job was entitled to this,
Advertisement
01-04-2020, 23:16   #10
Cavanjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by august12 View Post
That makes no sense, so someone with two jobs wouldn't get it if they lost one job, I understood anyone who had lost a job was entitled to this,
Also are self employed people who have lost jobs not getting something too?
01-04-2020, 23:27   #11
Still waters

Quote:

I think this virus business will open a lot of farmers eyes, take away an off farm job and lads will see what's really out of farming and how much of their own money they're putting into it to keep things ticking over, if you're supplementing your farm from your other job you need to have a long look at what's important, if its for the love of it keep a few dry bullocks for the interest, otherwise lads would be better off selling the stock and working their 5 days with no hassle
01-04-2020, 23:35   #12
Butcher Boy

A lad said to me the other day that you would want a good job to stay farming now, and do you know what he was not too far wrong.
02-04-2020, 20:49   #13
dunlopwellies

Quote:

If you are not eligible for the covid payment you should apply for job seekers benefit of you have now lost your primary income. You may well be eligible for that.
Thanks from:
02-04-2020, 21:16   #14
duffysfarm

Yes, self.employed are getting the €350. The only thing that i can see is that the business has tonhave ceased trading. Thats easy for lets say a hairdresser thats closed but for a farmer that cant buy cattle and has limited market to sell, have they ceased to trade? To me it looks as if this wont apply to farmers unless the clarify what cease to trade is and if it could include a reduction in business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanjack View Post
Also are self employed people who have lost jobs not getting something too?
02-04-2020, 21:30   #15
20silkcut

Quote:
Any Suckler/Part time farmers receive a payment today if ye lost ye’re main job?
I received €350 on Tuesday. The farm didn’t stop me getting it. Although they probably felt sorry for me with what I’m getting from the farm.
Still though between payments and cattle sales the farm brings in nearly twice the revenue that the job brings in, but the profit at the end is wafer thin. And in actual fact for 2018 I got a €60 cheque back from revenue.
That was the year I sold cattle at the back end for less than I bought them at the front end.

Last edited by 20silkcut; 02-04-2020 at 21:34.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion