Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of ireland april fools

• 20-03-2020 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi 
    I just received this letter in the post this morning notifying me of upcoming changes to fees can you tell me is this an early April fools joke considering the current economic situation.
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Pretty sure it's not. Outrageous, I agree. Time to get onto Joe Duffy and the like. Bear in mind the higher-ups should be blamed for this, not the ordinary staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

What an amazing coincidence. AIB sent me an email informing me of changes to the Current account fees effective from 30th May 2020.

I guess it's a good time to bury bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

There is no way any of us should put up with this given the current circumstances in case the banks havent realised we are in the biggest crisis not only facing irish people but mankind in over a century and the banks are upping their fees what an absolute joke time for people to vote with their feet.I'm not blaming the ordinary staff I'm just asking the question is this a piss take or not

It's not a pisstake, I received the same.

There is no way any of us should put up with this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Would you cop on you clowns!

How do any of you expect to use a service for free?! The bank needs to charge fees for all the services it provides, Covid 19 is fast becoming an excuse for people to refuse to honour their obligations!

€15 per quarter is hardly gonna make or break anyone!

Its the timing ive no problem paying my way but an increase in fees now is not acceptable you my friend are the clown if you have not the brains to see what is going to happen to ireland and the world economy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

bizidea wrote:
    Its the timing ive no problem paying my way but an increase in fees now is not acceptable you my friend are the clown if you have not the brains to see what is going to happen to ireland and the world economy

It's a minor increase in cash handling fees only, hardly a major issue in the scheme of things! The banks have frozen mortgages and business loans for 3 months, but obviously some people are never happy! There is another thread on here giving out about having to pay notified fees, seriously like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Bank of Irelands share price is now cheaper than during the financial crisis. Obviously in big financial trouble.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Bank of Irelands share price is now cheaper than during the financial crisis. Obviously in big financial trouble.
    Be grand shir we will just bail them out again shir the irish people are minted think 2008 will just look like a little dip compared to this.

• Advertisement

Kevwoody wrote: »

How do any of you expect to use a service for free?! The bank needs to charge fees for all the services it provides, Covid 19 is fast becoming an excuse for people to refuse to honour their obligations!

So they are increasing their cash handling fees by a whopping 33.33% during a global crisis while claiming to do the right thing for the hard-pressed retail economy and people like you say the real problem here is anyone that dares complain.

People like you are unbelievable. Literal enablers.

Originally posted by bizidea

It's a minor increase in cash handling fees only, hardly a major issue in the scheme of things! The banks have frozen mortgages and business loans for 3 months, but obviously some people are never happy! There is another thread on here giving out about having to pay notified fees, seriously like!

It's a 33.33% increase announced in the middle of a global crisis. And fwiw, I don't agree with a full scale 3 month moratorium on loans, it should be looked at case-by-case. But I simply don't believe they have any intention of implementing a mortgage freeze. Mark them by their actions, not their words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

You're doing great service to your overlords, keep up the good work.

Hopefully you'll get a promotion after the screen shot.

How dare the serfs, peasants and steerage notice something that they shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

According to AH last week, only AIB does this. :)

I'd imagine it's a badly timed mail drop but you can be sure whoever gave this approval is not going to have to deal with the angry public - and yet will still get paid a heck of a lot more than those who do have to.

So please don't be sh1tty towards the reps here - it's a disgrace how customer service advisors get treated. Bullying. Of people who can't defend themselves. Some of it no doubt by clowns who used the "be kind" inanity. This is a difficult time for customer service reps too, with sick relatives/partners now out of work.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    According to AH last week, only AIB does this. :)

I'd imagine it's a badly timed mail drop but you can be sure whoever gave this approval is not going to have to deal with the angry public - and yet will still get paid a heck of a lot more than those who do have to.

So please don't be sh1tty towards the reps here - it's a disgrace how customer service advisors get treated. Bullying. Of people who can't defend themselves. Some of it no doubt by clowns who used the "be kind" inanity. This is a difficult time for customer service reps too, with sick relatives/partners now out of work.
    We haven't heard from a boi rep there is no one here to bully or be ****ty towards any rep I just want to know is this serious.I have four accounts with boi I can promise you I'll be closing three of them next week and moving somewhere else

Of course it's serious. If it's fake it's not from Bank of Ireland.

All they can say is yes it's correct. Then they'll get a load of heat even though there's nothing they can do and was never their decision. They will pass the feedback to their higher ups, who won't care. Well feedback won't need to be passed - they know customers will be angry.

Yes, switching to another bank with lower fees for their service is the most sensible thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

they get the use of our money while they have it, to give out loans up to 10 times the value of our deposits, to literally make money...

Businesses by definition make money - don't see an issue there. Expecting a service to be free is a freeloader mindset.

The issue though is the amount, and the terrible timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

tdf7187 wrote: »

So they are increasing their cash handling fees by a whopping 33.33% during a global crisis while claiming to do the right thing for the hard-pressed retail economy and people like you say the real problem here is anyone that dares complain.

People like you are unbelievable. Literal enablers.
    But...but...they're with us, beside us...all through our lives...

(With their hands in our pockets)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Businesses by definition make money - don't see an issue there. Expecting a service to be free is a freeloader mindset.

The issue though is the amount, and the terrible timing.
    A bigger freeloader mindset would be banks driving their business headlong over a cliff and then tapping the taxpayers for a bailout (while lecturing about the evils of "moral hazard).

• Advertisement

So is a boi rep going to give us an answer and an explanation how this is possible given the current situation I have my doubts have a feeling they will stay quiet and hope people forget about this with all the bad news at the moment

I'd say the BOI reps are asking management what they should say, and management aren't budging. There's a chain - and the people asked the most questions can do the least!

I'd say the BOI reps are asking management what they should say, and management aren't budging. There's a chain - and the people asked the most questions can do the least!
    I understand this but you'd imagine there could be a simple yes or no answer to this to begin with and then an explanation afterwards as why they think they can screw another few cents out of us for every transaction in the middle of a crisis.politicians on tv assuring people that the banks are going to help out the citizens of this country instead the slipping their hands into our pockets to squeeze another few cents from us.how much extra money will it be in the banks coffers over the next 12 months I'll bet tens of millions.theres another question for the rep id love to hear the answer to that

Well it's obviously a yes that it's real. Unless it's a horrible mistake, which they'll send an update/apology about in due course.

There must be an explanation on the website/letter itself.

And they're hardly gonna approve the rep giving a response to the last question! (Not that the rep would know the answer anyway).

I did social media customer care for other companies. I know how this kinda thing goes. Frustration on both the customer's and rep's side, but the folk at the top making these decisions and earning huge bucks don't have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Timing for sending this out wouldn't be great would it ,makes you wonder who's in charge.

Yap thats my next question would the rep be able to tell us the total fees for these 4 transaction types last year or for boi s 12 month to their year end then we can see what this 33% increase will take out of irish pockets for the next 12months time to email our politicians that are blowing about how the banks are going to help and cc some media outlets this is just not good enough at this point in time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

The multiquote doesnt seem to work? was going to quote a few replies, anyway
    I dont see the 15/quarter charge on the pic or didnt know it existed, thought it was lower, while I dont think the increase seems large, I think the fee they are already charging is the problem imo.
    I have been a BOI customer for eons, since I opened my first bank account, just after I left school.
    Im not 100% sure what they mean by withdraw/payout??  why the payout wording? anyway, Id be looking at the fees and seeing how I can minimise my costs from that. Obviously they have been reducing their front of house staff at branches for a longtime and face to face services are at a minimum and there are alternatives to dealing in person, although it seems the charges even for the alternatives are ramping up.

As a customer, if I get this notification, I wont even bother contacting BOI, it's pointless, I suspect they want us gone. Im only encouraged as a potential new mortgage customer/applicant as an existing one, and Im not even sure thats worthwhile. I'll just see what ways I can minimise my costs, Im not keen on parking 3k in my current account although I probably should and might do in the interim of winding down all SO or DD to another bank I have an account with.
    Im getting the impression I might be getting charged a fee to have my wages lodged with them, I'll need to look into that and all other costs/charges, can only see this driving customers away like they dont actually want to provide that kind of banking service anymore??

To the OP/others, seems to me the best thing to do is, only make transactions that dont incur the higher charges, ie make small tap transactions and carry out a 20 withdrawal from the till at the same time, dont lodge cash wih them? meanwhile look for alternative banking providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Hi all,

Thanks for reaching out to us here on boards.

We really do appreciate all your comments and feedback here. 

We understand the effect COVID19 is having on our customers both business and personal and we have a range of measures in place to help our customers. For more information on these please see here.

To request a payment break on your mortgage, please see here.

Like many businesses our capacity has been affected but we are doing what we can to maintain the best possible service for our customers.

We will be here for you and work hard during these difficult times, but for the moment we hope that you all take care of yourself and your families.

Thanks Jen

Hi all,

We understand the effect COVID19 is having on our customers both business and personal and we have a range of measures in place to help our customers. For more information on these please see here.

Like many businesses our capacity has been affected but we are doing what we can to maintain the best possible service for our customers.

We will be here for you and work hard during these difficult times, but for the moment we hope that you all take care of yourself and your families.

Thanks Jen
    Hi Jen
    Thanks for your reply so can you tell me will boi be holding off on increasing until after this world wide emergency is over.Aib have announced today that they will be holding off on theirs.

• Advertisement

bizidea wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks Jen
    Hi Jen
    Thanks for your reply so can you tell me will boi be holding off on increasing until after this world wide emergency is over.Aib have announced today that they will be holding off on theirs.
    Bump

Advertisement