Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is anyone else's ignore list filling up fast?

Options
  • 19-03-2020 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Mine has filled to the brim over the last few days - full of conspiracy theorists, people taking cheap shots at victims, loons with no idea of the real world, idiots trying to score political points. Oh yeah, and journos trying to whip up scare stories.

Now you know who the really sensible posters are*, have you been putting the major loons on your ignore list? It really make life easier on Boards, where anyone can say whatever they want without fear of physical violence. Though they should really have their penises beaten with rods. Although I'm not sure they could find small enough rods.

Thoughts?

*Probably not me.

Disclaimer: The lockdown has disabused me of socia media's value. Boards.ie is particularly poor and I'm sick of its parish pump attitudes to everything. People who wouldn't say boo to you in the street trying to come across as the ultimate hardarse 'kick those foreigners out and kill the dole scum' sort. I suspect they're mostly accountants and IT people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

I never ignored anyone on boards. Probably because I don't know how,heh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I never ignored anyone on boards. Probably because I don't know how,heh

Click on their name and click 'Add X to Ignore List'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I clicked on the thread but no posts here?

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

breaker breaker....you reading me skip

I never put anyone on ignore, couldn't be arsed. Not into soap operas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I haven't, but I love when people post to let a person know they're adding them to their ignore list.

Almost as amusing as a rage quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

If you put someone on ignore, do they know it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Comhra wrote: »
    If you put someone on ignore, do they know it?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Comhra wrote: »

Can somebody tell me what this post said? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

I haven't, but I love when people post to let a person know they're adding them to their ignore list.

That reminds me of Fr Noel Furlong's list of enemies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

have you been putting the major loons on your ignore list?

Im only here for the major loons - without them the last of the fun will be sucked out of AH and the rest of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eldudebros

Meh. Just sounds petty really.

If you were to block and ignore everyone who made a silly comment or differing opinion, you'd live in an echo chamber.

That would just be boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Auld the auld self isolating and quarantining has us all irritated. Tis grand, only another few months of it :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

34 on my list, plenty more room.

No self isolating in there....best of luck to them.

eldudebros wrote: »
    Meh. Just sounds petty really.

If you were to block and ignore everyone who made a silly comment or differing opinion, you'd live in an echo chamber.

That would just be boring.

I think if an anonymous poster has that much of an effect of you it's time to accept the internet isn't for you.

That said, I'd love to know how many have me on ignore now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Nobody on ignore list, but really should.
    I can think of one AH poster immediately.

It's usually the posters who frequently post mindless trivial things about themselves and follow it with a question to everyone.
    It's the intellectual equivalent of Telly Bingo.

Sometimes I wonder is it just some way of getting indirect marketing information about posters by a paid Boards employee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Who said that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

I think if an anonymous poster has that much of an effect of you it's time to accept the internet isn't for you.

That said, I'd love to know how many have me on ignore now. :pac:

I'd never ignore you.Your my favorite Reject,heh.

34 on my list, plenty more room.

No self isolating in there....best of luck to them.

34, may I ask what prompted you to ignore them?

If I'm not one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I personally think it's a horrible feature. Only time I see people talking about it is when they boast about using it. It's like struggling to get in the final word, so you take their's out of your view.

I've always approached discussion site such as boards, like out and about having a discussion with people. You dont go around gagging people you dont want to listen to. You just dont engage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Wasn't there a poster that had everyone on his ignore list, listed in his signature?

Why would you be arsed?

Wasn't there a poster that had everyone on his ignore list, listed in his signature?

Why would you be arsed?

Was there? :D

Smug and attention seeking, a potent mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Tried it for a while, then gave up on it as you see their quoted posts anyway.

So now I just keep a list of their names, backed up to blockchain.
    Someday I will tokenize my hate for certain posters and make a mint selling ****coins named after them!

Then, when I cash out...
    I'll buy an island and send them all a selfie, thanking them for the wealth my loathing of them created!

Or I could like, just cop on a bit and realize that I don't really care ;)
    Couple of threads here lately have shown a racist and frankly idiotic side to a few long term posters that I'd never seen them express before.
    But I don't actually know them, they are a faceless keyboard basher much like myself.
    So fúck it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

You dont go around gagging people you dont want to listen to

Pity not all mods show same etiquette as you Dravokivich. Some topics get shut down by mods that forget it's a discussion forum and not an ego trip

*Meant to say I've never used ignore

I personally think it's a horrible feature. Only time I see people talking about it is when they boast about using it. It's like struggling to get in the final word, so you take their's out of your view.

I've always approached discussion site such as boards, like out and about having a discussion with people. You dont go around gagging people you dont want to listen to. You just dont engage.

In my whole time on boards I've only ever ignored four posters. I un-ignore them every so often, but invariably they'll be ignored again.

Some posters are just too good at trolling and I do admittedly get triggered. A failure on my part, but not one I've managed to overcome entirely. It's not about stifling debate, because generally these posters aren't interested in actual debate...

But, OP, nope. I haven't added anyone to my ignore list in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Yeah added a few to it for the first time in many many years.
    Mostly over in the investments forum.

Any 'new to investing or trading' people asking a simple question (that of course contains a lack of knowledge) being told to go learn, or learn how investing works before doing it. Completely unhelpful answers. They dont help anyone.

We have lots of people locked in doors at the moment, and worried about their finances. Have a little heart and patience. Dont be mean to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

With me when I scan the various virus threads I often see posts from users I have on ignore. Then usually when I click to unhide this post I remember why I blocked them in the first place. Usually conspiracy theorists or right wing nutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I have never used the feature as usually if I want to I would just leave the discussion. I’m quite uncontroversial and usually only post outside Spurs thread to offer advice or give an opinion if it’s something I’m knowledgeable on. A few times when someone questioned my integrity did I feel like it but life is too short.

I am trying to be a bit more understanding at the moment as everyone is going through a strange time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Why would you be arsed?

There's only one poster I'm tempted to put on ignore, every time I see him post. And it's because of his signature... But he actually contributes to discussion, so..,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Its quite pathetic to use that feature.

Advertisement