Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

would you be better off getting the corona virus over and done with?

Options
  • 15-03-2020 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭

I am in my 30's, very healthy, work with the public in close quarters.

I am just wondering if it would be better getting it now rather than trying to avoid it for the next few months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's not so much about you, rather who you may potentially pass it on.

I'm mid 30's, pretty healthy and in decent shape. If I get it, I'm not too concerned. However I'd be worried about family, namely my children, mother and grandmother as it would have far more impact on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

pgj2015 wrote: »

I am just wondering if it would be better getting it now rather than trying to avoid it for the next few months.

Probably yes, half of us may get it without even realising, for alot of people it may just be a normal flu with headaches etc and will pass in a few days with plenty of rest, fluids etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Myself and the Mrs had this conversation today.

We think we'd be better off getting it now, while the hospital's can cope .

Due to the nature of my work.. I'm going to be infected in the coming days .

We've an infant (who will probably be fine) but no-one to help to care for the child or us .

Both of our parents are 70+ and are high risk people.

We have limited our contact with them.

It's going to be a tough few weeks/months ahead .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

No because if we get a peak now the health services would not be able to cope, but by flattening the peak the health services can cope its dose make it longer but we can't let people die to get over it quickly plus people still get sick in other ways and need health care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

No, because the evidence is unclear that if you get it once that you cannot be reinfected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

If you only feel mild symptoms, infect your close family who also won´t die and the buck stops here, all is good. On the other hand, you or one of them could die from it, even if the chance is low, but think of it like this. There is a box of 100 skittles in your kitchen, two will kill you, 98 not. Will you take one out and eat it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Harika wrote: »
    If you only feel mild symptoms, infect your close family who also won´t die and the buck stops here, all is good. On the other hand, you or one of them could die from it, even if the chance is low, but think of it like this. There is a box of 100 skittles in your kitchen, two will kill you, 98 not. Will you take one out and eat it?

I Like the odds to be fair. I must have come into close contact with at least 30 people after christmas who were dying with flus and it was the first year I never caught anything from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Harika wrote: »

I've no choice.. I've got to deal with those skittles at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I Like the odds to be fair. I must have come into close contact with at least 30 people after christmas who were dying with flus and it was the first year I never caught anything from them.

If they were up going around they were dying of a cold, not the flu. The flu knocks you flat on your back and makes you so sick you can't eat, drink, sleep, walk, talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just over 50% of patients in Netherlands in ICU are under the age of 50 apparently. I'll dig up the slinky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Just over 50% of patients in Netherlands in ICU are under the age of 50 apparently. I'll dig up the slinky.

There was an incorrect Twitter post about this in France last night ..it wasn't correct as it was actually 50% of serious cases which was a big difference. Seems to have caught legs now tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If they were up going around they were dying of a cold, not the flu. The flu knocks you flat on your back and makes you so sick you can't eat, drink, sleep, walk, talk.

I have never got the flu. it doesnt sound good.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement