Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-03-2020, 23:47   #1
caldew

Coronavirus and the driving test (all tests now suspended)

Hard to believe the RSA are conducting driving tests in these telling times.

Testers are sitting in cars with strangers they know nothing about within an enclosed environment for an extended period.

I'm told lots of ADI's have withdrawn their service but the RSA keep the cash cow going
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 09:19   #2
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldew View Post
Hard to believe the RSA are conducting driving tests in these telling times.

Testers are sitting in cars with strangers they know nothing about within an enclosed environment for an extended period....
I don't understand your logic. Sharing a vehicle with one person is multiple times safer than using public transport, visiting a pub, restaurant, shop, airport etc. or being at work - none of which have been prohibited.
(2) thanks from:
13-03-2020, 14:20   #3
Posy
Warm and cosy

All tests now suspended until March 29th.
13-03-2020, 16:10   #4
Cork Trucker

https://twitter.com/rsaireland/statu...508457989?s=21
17-03-2020, 22:03   #5
Markhealylouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posy View Post
All tests now suspended until March 29th.
I'm waiting for a test date, my concern now is using public transport until I get my license. If this Corona is going to get worse people in my position are not keeping enough distance from eachother. I have my own car, what are other users experience and thoughts on this?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-03-2020, 00:13   #6
Posy
Warm and cosy

I'm getting the bus as normal. No other choice for me to get to work.
Everyone else I work with is still getting public transport, as I am in the city with no parking.

Luckily it's so quiet, everyone has a seat to themselves, and I make sure to sanitise once I'm off the bus, and wash my hands once I am back indoors.
Thanks from:
18-03-2020, 00:28   #7
MascotDec85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhealylouth View Post
I'm waiting for a test date, my concern now is using public transport until I get my license. If this Corona is going to get worse people in my position are not keeping enough distance from eachother. I have my own car, what are other users experience and thoughts on this?
Tests are suspended until at least March 29th and they currently aren’t scheduling new ones. The suspended ones will take priority when they start back and the waiting list will lengthen
18-03-2020, 17:58   #8
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
I was supposed to do my (motorbike) theory test today, and got an email and text last night saying it was cancelled, and to ring or email them to re-schedule.

I don't really see the point in re-scheduling as surely they'll just be cancelled again in a week or two anyway.

Have seen some Driving Instructor cars still out on the road so at least they're still keeping above board, if nothing else. I don't think they're cancelling the tests because they're dangerous as such, more so that they are moving all public sector workers from 'non essential' work to the HSE/Social Welfare to man those areas instead?
19-03-2020, 12:51   #9
caldew

Northern Ireland has suspended tests until 22nd June
Advertisement
25-03-2020, 10:40   #10
caldew

All tests cancelled until 19th April
07-04-2020, 22:13   #11

I guess I should give up on any hope of doing my test before the summer's out cancelled the week before and countless hours of practice wasted
07-04-2020, 22:18   #12
MascotDec85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Wright View Post
I guess I should give up on any hope of doing my test before the summer's out cancelled the week before and countless hours of practice wasted
It’s unfortunate but unavoidable. People who had tests cancelled will be given priority when they resume.
Thanks from:
07-04-2020, 22:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MascotDec85
It’s unfortunate but unavoidable. People who had tests cancelled will be given priority when they resume.

Hopefully, I've put myself on the cancellation list too so I'm hoping it's all processed quickly. The main thing I'm worried about is if I were to fail the first time around, would I be waiting an abnormally long time for another test and put to the back of the line? My instructor expected me to pass first time, but now the pressure of everything feels enormous.

Having to drive accompanied means hundreds of euro on insurance is going to waste since I made the plunge and bought my own car :/ I would love to wake up tomorrow and see this situation end, but it feels like it's going to be many many months
09-04-2020, 16:23   #14
Thargor

Anyone know when the NDLS centres are open again? Besides the outdated info on the website that is...
09-04-2020, 16:45   #15
LorelaiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Anyone know when the NDLS centres are open again? Besides the outdated info on the website that is...
They will be closed until the government restrictions are lifted.

If you need to renew your licence you can do so by post, or online if you have a myGovID account.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion