Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The guest cat by TAKASHI HIRAIDE

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Simpsonsfan17

Shallow Graves by Jeffrey Deaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I have just finished A Horseman riding by. I am surprised that a few films have not been made from it. One TV series and that was that. It might be set in the ol days 1900s but, there is a fair bit relevant to nowadays too. Quite a bit better than the constant remakes off Emma and co.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have just finished A Horseman riding by. I am surprised that a few films have not been made from it. One TV series and that was that. It might be set in the ol days 1900s but, there is a fair bit relevant to nowadays too. Quite a bit better than the constant remakes off Emma and co.

If you like sprawling epics Hawaii by James Michener is brilliant in fact all of James Michener's books are very good.

mariaalice wrote: »
    If you like sprawling epics Hawaii by James Michener is brilliant in fact all of James Michener's books are very good.

Loved Alaska, and The Covenant. Haven't read his other books yet. Thanks for the reminder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Last To Die by Tess Gerritsen. This is book 10 of 12 in the Rizzoli & Isles series. Quite an enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Started The Stand by Stephen King .

I don't particularly like his writing style but willing to give this one ago (had previously attempted it many years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just bought 'The Mirror & Light' by Hillary Mantel.

Cant wait to start it. It's a whopper 800+ pages!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

appledrop wrote: »

Currently re-reading Wolf Hall, and planning to re-read Bring Up The Bodies, to prepare :D Getting rave reviews so far, hope you enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

voldejoie wrote: »
    Currently re-reading Wolf Hall, and planning to re-read Bring Up The Bodies, to prepare :D Getting rave reviews so far, hope you enjoy!

I also got this at the weekend! And I'm also planning to re-read both Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies :D

• Advertisement

Just got stuck into The Empire of ashes" by Anthony Ryan. Third book in the series. Started reading it yesterday and already 3/4 way through it. Just brilliant fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Last night I started Salt to the Sea, by Ruta Sepetys. And I was hooked from the first page (it turned out to be a long reading night...).

In general it's about refugees during the last weeks of WWII from East Prussia and Lithuania, and about the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff in the Baltic Sea, the greatest disaster in maritime history with about 9000 people dead.

The protagonists are four very different people, wonderfully characterized, each one with their own (national) story. The prose is beautiful, vivid and tender, without over-dramatising.
    It's one of the best books I came across recently.

The author is a Lithuanian-American. I certainly will check out her other books.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25614492-salt-to-the-sea

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Finding it very hard to get my head into reading since New Year and Ive a stack of books to get through. Just started Boys Will Be Boys : The Glory Days and Party Nights of the Dallas Cowboys Dynasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

The Bookish Life Of Nina Hill, by Abbi Waxman. I'm enjoying it. If you liked Eleanor Oliphant, you'll probably like this.

Currently making my way through Stephen Fry's Heroes, the follow up to Mythos, and I'm loving it. I would recommend it if you have even a passing interest in Greek mythology.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Started The Stand by Stephen King .

I don't particularly like his writing style but willing to give this one ago (had previously attempted it many years ago).
    Sales have gone way up since the virus started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Sales have gone way up since the virus started.
    I actually had it for years on my kindle but yeah the coronavirus made me go back to it. My opinion that stephen king bores the tits off me hasn't changed but I'll stick at it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

I actually had it for years on my kindle but yeah the coronavirus made me go back to it. My opinion that stephen king bores the tits off me hasn't changed but I'll stick at it

Ever read 'Journal of the Plague Year' by Daniel Defoe? If you haven't you should definitely get it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Dyslexia Unravelled by Rita Treacy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You should probably try a Bill Bryson book or maybe one of those dreadful ones with “Auschwitz” in the title.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Survivors by Terry Nation,close enough content to what’s going on in the world now and very thought provoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Survivors by Terry Nation,close enough content to what’s going on in the world now and very thought provoking!

After it happened by Devon Ford, great book for those with a more apocalyptic outlook.

I have just finished Die Again by Tess Gerritsen, the penultimate book in the Rizzoli & Isles series.

I'm enjoying 'The Mirror & the Light' 100 pages in only 800 to go.

Give the current situation I'm sure I'll have it all finished in a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'm enjoying 'The Mirror & the Light' 100 pages in only 800 to go.

Give the current situation I'm sure I'll have it all finished in a few days!

About the same and already dreading getting to the end of it because it is that good. Still have 3 or 4 Mantel novels left to read so will be able to wean myself off on those. Astonishing talent i think.

About the same and already dreading getting to the end of it because it is that good. Still have 3 or 4 Mantel novels left to read so will be able to wean myself off on those. Astonishing talent i think.

I'll race you to the end!

It is a great read. I'm remember when I bought it thinking when will I have the time to get through this? Ha ha I was so wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing.
    Re-reading this for the excellent sections on how the crew survived months of social isolation on limited rations during the time they were trapped on the ice-flow.

Manach wrote: »
    Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing.
    Re-reading this for the excellent sections on how the crew survived months of social isolation on limited rations during the time they were trapped on the ice-flow.

I have that on my self to read at some point in the not so distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'll race you to the end!

It is a great read. I'm remember when I bought it thinking when will I have the time to get through this? Ha ha I was so wrong.

I'm already in a race - got the book through my online library account and it tells me I'm just 12% through and expiring in 8 days. So i need to get a move on!

Also got Graham Swifts Here We Are & Max Hastings Chastise (on the dambusters) on the go too. Both are excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Raided Oxfams shelves the day it kicked off. Am now reading Sebastian Faulks ENGELBY and it is un-put-down-able. I can’t wait to find out where it goes - up reading all night. Just can’t read and cut steak!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement