Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-02-2020, 23:02   #2641
Kirbstone

I would like to second Hibernicis in thanking M17 for his superlative pictorial and video coverage of the construction and opening of the RFK Bridge.

Tom K.
Advertisement
18-02-2020, 17:10   #2642
m17

The barrow crossing

As this is my last pic of this great forum thanks everyone for all the great comments over the last 3 and half years looking forward to the next big road project yours m17
18-02-2020, 21:19   #2643
DumbBrunette

Next big road project **cough** N5 Westport Turlough **cough cough**

Quote:
Originally Posted by m17 View Post
As this is my last pic of this great forum thanks everyone for all the great comments over the last 3 and half years looking forward to the next big road project yours m17
Thanks from:
22-02-2020, 14:05   #2644
m17

The stats

23-02-2020, 11:53   #2645
blindsider

My regular Cork - Wexford journey is 2:20 to 2:40. Early (07:00) on a very quiet weekend morning, I have done it in 2:00.

Yesterday afternoon I did it in 2:05 - and that included a quick pit-stop in Lemybrien.

The New Ross bypass is a very welcome development!

I also noticed that the road from the New Ross end of the Waterford Bypass to Glenmore is quite wide and would be (relatively) easy to convert to DC - it's about 10km. Unfortunately, I suspect that may not happen for min. 10 yrs - ah well....
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-02-2020, 12:03   #2646
alta stare

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsider View Post
My regular Cork - Wexford journey is 2:20 to 2:40. Early (07:00) on a very quiet weekend morning, I have done it in 2:00.

Yesterday afternoon I did it in 2:05 - and that included a quick pit-stop in Lemybrien.

The New Ross bypass is a very welcome development!

I also noticed that the road from the New Ross end of the Waterford Bypass to Glenmore is quite wide and would be (relatively) easy to convert to DC - it's about 10km. Unfortunately, I suspect that may not happen for min. 10 yrs - ah well....
It is indeed a very welcome development. It has made my travel a little less arduous. Regarding the Glenmore to Luffany road...that is back on the agenda and iv read and it has been mentioned here that it will more than likely be 2024 before it starts.

One thing i have noticed though and it annoys me sometimes is how people merge onto the Glenmore road from the Bridge road....they move out to the overtaking lane when there is no need. The exit road seamlessly becomes the Glenmore road so there is no need to move out. Usually they are crawling along when they do this which slows the traffic down. Idiots
(4) thanks from:
23-02-2020, 15:40   #2647
CoBo55

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta stare View Post
It is indeed a very welcome development. It has made my travel a little less arduous. Regarding the Glenmore to Luffany road...that is back on the agenda and iv read and it has been mentioned here that it will more than likely be 2024 before it starts.

One thing i have noticed though and it annoys me sometimes is how people merge onto the Glenmore road from the Bridge road....they move out to the overtaking lane when there is no need. The exit road seamlessly becomes the Glenmore road so there is no need to move out. Usually they are crawling along when they do this which slows the traffic down. Idiots
Santa Fe syndrome I call it... Every fcukin time it's mom in the Santa Fe..
23-02-2020, 18:55   #2648
SeanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBo55 View Post
Santa Fe syndrome I call it... Every fcukin time it's mom in the Santa Fe..

Care to translate that?
23-02-2020, 19:16   #2649
blindsider

...I presume a Hyundai Santa Fe...?

People are not looking at the road carefully enough to realise that it's not a standard "Merge and move right" scenario - it's a "Merge and Stay in Lane" scenario.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-02-2020, 23:18   #2650
gman2k

And also, the speed of cars travelling (south) towards Waterford on Glenmore hill has increased visibly since the bypass has opened.
24-02-2020, 19:42   #2651
CoBo55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanW View Post

Care to translate that?
Hyundai. Santa. Fe. It's always yummy mummy straight out of the merging lane into the outside lane.... And there she stays forever and ever sometimes with right indicator flashing and flashing for bloody miles...
(2) thanks from:
29-02-2020, 04:12   #2652
ExoPolitic

It's still not been updated on Google maps as open... Anybody know which mapping/gps system to use to use the bridge? Thanks.
29-02-2020, 08:46   #2653
JohnC.

Waze has it open.
29-02-2020, 09:12   #2654
FishOnABike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoPolitic View Post
It's still not been updated on Google maps as open... Anybody know which mapping/gps system to use to use the bridge? Thanks.
OsmAnd has the bridge included. Other openstreetmap based satnav apps probably also include it.

You would think Google could data mine their live traffic data to automatically detect where and when a new road is opened. It's not like thousands of vehicles per day are suddenly going to start taking the exact same route across fields and rivers at a steady 100kmh.
29-02-2020, 09:24   #2655
Alun

It's strange that it seems to be taking so long. Other recent new roads such as the latest stretch of the M11, or the Enniscorthy bypass appeared fairly quickly.

The problem is that on Google Maps there's no easy way that I've found to inform them of a brand new road. Plenty of opportunity to tell them about changes to existing ones though.

Also because Google rarely seem to perform any kind of checks on user submitted changes, we now have two entries for the bridge, one correct one with the right name, another slightly west of that entitled "NewRoss River Bridge" and another entry close by called the Hannah Parr Project which seems to have been completely misplaced (it was a Norwegian emigrant ship that ran into trouble and docked in Limerick for repairs apparently) but which has attracted loads of comments about the bridge.

Last edited by Alun; 29-02-2020 at 09:33.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion