Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-02-2020, 23:02   #2641
Kirbstone
Registered User
 
Kirbstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 15
I would like to second Hibernicis in thanking M17 for his superlative pictorial and video coverage of the construction and opening of the RFK Bridge.

Tom K.
Kirbstone is offline  
Advertisement
18-02-2020, 17:10   #2642
m17
Registered User
 
m17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,108
The barrow crossing

As this is my last pic of this great forum thanks everyone for all the great comments over the last 3 and half years looking forward to the next big road project yours m17
m17 is offline  
18-02-2020, 21:19   #2643
DumbBrunette
Registered User
 
DumbBrunette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 142
Next big road project **cough** N5 Westport Turlough **cough cough**

Quote:
Originally Posted by m17 View Post
As this is my last pic of this great forum thanks everyone for all the great comments over the last 3 and half years looking forward to the next big road project yours m17
DumbBrunette is offline  
Thanks from:
22-02-2020, 14:05   #2644
m17
Registered User
 
m17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,108
The stats


m17 is offline  
23-02-2020, 11:53   #2645
blindsider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,623
My regular Cork - Wexford journey is 2:20 to 2:40. Early (07:00) on a very quiet weekend morning, I have done it in 2:00.

Yesterday afternoon I did it in 2:05 - and that included a quick pit-stop in Lemybrien.

The New Ross bypass is a very welcome development!

I also noticed that the road from the New Ross end of the Waterford Bypass to Glenmore is quite wide and would be (relatively) easy to convert to DC - it's about 10km. Unfortunately, I suspect that may not happen for min. 10 yrs - ah well....
blindsider is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-02-2020, 12:03   #2646
alta stare
Registered User
 
alta stare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsider View Post
My regular Cork - Wexford journey is 2:20 to 2:40. Early (07:00) on a very quiet weekend morning, I have done it in 2:00.

Yesterday afternoon I did it in 2:05 - and that included a quick pit-stop in Lemybrien.

The New Ross bypass is a very welcome development!

I also noticed that the road from the New Ross end of the Waterford Bypass to Glenmore is quite wide and would be (relatively) easy to convert to DC - it's about 10km. Unfortunately, I suspect that may not happen for min. 10 yrs - ah well....
It is indeed a very welcome development. It has made my travel a little less arduous. Regarding the Glenmore to Luffany road...that is back on the agenda and iv read and it has been mentioned here that it will more than likely be 2024 before it starts.

One thing i have noticed though and it annoys me sometimes is how people merge onto the Glenmore road from the Bridge road....they move out to the overtaking lane when there is no need. The exit road seamlessly becomes the Glenmore road so there is no need to move out. Usually they are crawling along when they do this which slows the traffic down. Idiots
alta stare is offline  
(4) thanks from:
23-02-2020, 15:40   #2647
CoBo55
Registered User
 
CoBo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by alta stare View Post
It is indeed a very welcome development. It has made my travel a little less arduous. Regarding the Glenmore to Luffany road...that is back on the agenda and iv read and it has been mentioned here that it will more than likely be 2024 before it starts.

One thing i have noticed though and it annoys me sometimes is how people merge onto the Glenmore road from the Bridge road....they move out to the overtaking lane when there is no need. The exit road seamlessly becomes the Glenmore road so there is no need to move out. Usually they are crawling along when they do this which slows the traffic down. Idiots
Santa Fe syndrome I call it... Every fcukin time it's mom in the Santa Fe..
CoBo55 is offline  
23-02-2020, 18:55   #2648
SeanW
Registered User
 
SeanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBo55 View Post
Santa Fe syndrome I call it... Every fcukin time it's mom in the Santa Fe..


Care to translate that?
SeanW is offline  
23-02-2020, 19:16   #2649
blindsider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,623
...I presume a Hyundai Santa Fe...?

People are not looking at the road carefully enough to realise that it's not a standard "Merge and move right" scenario - it's a "Merge and Stay in Lane" scenario.
blindsider is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-02-2020, 23:18   #2650
gman2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,519
And also, the speed of cars travelling (south) towards Waterford on Glenmore hill has increased visibly since the bypass has opened.
gman2k is offline  
24-02-2020, 19:42   #2651
CoBo55
Registered User
 
CoBo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanW View Post


Care to translate that?
Hyundai. Santa. Fe. It's always yummy mummy straight out of the merging lane into the outside lane.... And there she stays forever and ever sometimes with right indicator flashing and flashing for bloody miles...
CoBo55 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-02-2020, 04:12   #2652
ExoPolitic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 237
It's still not been updated on Google maps as open... Anybody know which mapping/gps system to use to use the bridge? Thanks.
ExoPolitic is offline  
29-02-2020, 08:46   #2653
JohnC.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,499
Waze has it open.
JohnC. is offline  
29-02-2020, 09:12   #2654
FishOnABike
Registered User
 
FishOnABike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoPolitic View Post
It's still not been updated on Google maps as open... Anybody know which mapping/gps system to use to use the bridge? Thanks.
OsmAnd has the bridge included. Other openstreetmap based satnav apps probably also include it.

You would think Google could data mine their live traffic data to automatically detect where and when a new road is opened. It's not like thousands of vehicles per day are suddenly going to start taking the exact same route across fields and rivers at a steady 100kmh.
FishOnABike is offline  
29-02-2020, 09:24   #2655
Alun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,325
It's strange that it seems to be taking so long. Other recent new roads such as the latest stretch of the M11, or the Enniscorthy bypass appeared fairly quickly.

The problem is that on Google Maps there's no easy way that I've found to inform them of a brand new road. Plenty of opportunity to tell them about changes to existing ones though.

Also because Google rarely seem to perform any kind of checks on user submitted changes, we now have two entries for the bridge, one correct one with the right name, another slightly west of that entitled "NewRoss River Bridge" and another entry close by called the Hannah Parr Project which seems to have been completely misplaced (it was a Norwegian emigrant ship that ran into trouble and docked in Limerick for repairs apparently) but which has attracted loads of comments about the bridge.

Last edited by Alun; 29-02-2020 at 09:33.
Alun is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet