Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-12-2019, 16:44   #16
seanl77
Registered User
 
seanl77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thephantomsmask View Post
At least lidl discount it immediately rather than knocking a few cents off at a time as the day goes on.
The reductions in tesco are done gradually to give more shoppers a chance to avail of them, not all people want to shop at seven o clock in the evening.
seanl77 is offline  
Advertisement
06-12-2019, 16:46   #17
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanl77 View Post
The reductions in tesco are done gradually to give more shoppers a chance to avail of them, not all people want to shop at seven o clock in the evening.
And also to get more cash for the product. They want to get as much as possible to reduce the loss.
L1011 is online now  
(3) thanks from:
06-12-2019, 17:03   #18
seanl77
Registered User
 
seanl77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
And also to get more cash for the product. They want to get as much as possible to reduce the loss.
Well of course they do, but the final reduction stock at seven o clock is all wasted an hour later. So reducing it gradually is the fairest way to do it. Otherwise greed comes in and people lose their minds
seanl77 is offline  
06-12-2019, 17:29   #19
freshpopcorn
Registered User
 
freshpopcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19,123
My local lidl seems to work like this.
A piece of meat which is gone off on the 7th of December would be reduced Today by 30%.
Tomorrow night on the 7th they'd throw a €1 or €2 sticker on it.
We got mince last week for the cats and it was fairly cheap.
freshpopcorn is offline  
Thanks from:
06-12-2019, 19:01   #20
kurtainsider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshpopcorn View Post
My local lidl seems to work like this.
A piece of meat which is gone off on the 7th of December would be reduced Today by 30%.
Tomorrow night on the 7th they'd throw a €1 or €2 sticker on it.
We got mince last week for the cats and it was fairly cheap.
"Gone off" is a bit of a strong term. "Use by the 7th" will have a few days built in so it'll be perfectly alright till the 9th or 10th and perhaps longer.

Remember the scandal a few years ago where supermarkets were repackaging chicken at its use by date into new packaging with a new use by date?

Let your nose be the judge of the use by date.
kurtainsider is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-12-2019, 19:06   #21
freshpopcorn
Registered User
 
freshpopcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtainsider View Post
"Gone off" is a bit of a strong term. "Use by the 7th" will have a few days built in so it'll be perfectly alright till the 9th or 10th and perhaps longer.

Remember the scandal a few years ago where supermarkets were repackaging chicken at its use by date into new packaging with a new use by date?

Let your nose be the judge of the use by date.
Just because I use the word gone off doesn't mean I don't use my nose or appearance to judge food.
It's just the word I use.
We often buy stuff that is reduced to clear sometimes for ourselves and sometimes for the cats.
freshpopcorn is offline  
06-12-2019, 19:09   #22
lalababa
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,013
Yeah let your nose & eyes be the judge. 🙂
Imagine eating smelly rancid chicken just because it WAS in date!
lalababa is offline  
06-12-2019, 19:11   #23
freshpopcorn
Registered User
 
freshpopcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalababa View Post
Yeah let your nose & eyes be the judge. 🙂
Imagine eating smelly rancid chicken just because it WAS in date!
I have no idea how some people shops.
They'd just lov anything into the trolley.
freshpopcorn is offline  
06-12-2019, 19:13   #24
okidoki987
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
Is this in one specific section in the LIDL fridges or just stickers on random items of stock in regular location?
Most of the ones I've seen were just green stickers on random items of stock in regular locations.


Quote:
My local lidl seems to work like this.
A piece of meat which is gone off on the 7th of December would be reduced Today by 30%.
Tomorrow night on the 7th they'd throw a €1 or €2 sticker on it.
I'd say that was before they started this new campaign.
If you buy something and don't like it, just bring it back to get a refund.
okidoki987 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-12-2019, 19:33   #25
banchang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanl77 View Post
Well of course they do, but the final reduction stock at seven o clock is all wasted an hour later. So reducing it gradually is the fairest way to do it. Otherwise greed comes in and people lose their minds
Much more labour intensive though.
banchang is offline  
06-12-2019, 19:53   #26
tabby aspreme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshpopcorn View Post
My local lidl seems to work like this.
A piece of meat which is gone off on the 7th of December would be reduced Today by 30%.
Tomorrow night on the 7th they'd throw a €1 or €2 sticker on it.
We got mince last week for the cats and it was fairly cheap.
If it was gone off the cats wouldn't eat it, they are regularly used here for that purpose
tabby aspreme is offline  
06-12-2019, 20:17   #27
freshpopcorn
Registered User
 
freshpopcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabby aspreme View Post
If it was gone off the cats wouldn't eat it, they are regularly used here for that purpose
As I said it's just a word I used. I've explained myself. Move on!

I was just at Lidl everything was marked at €2 in the section. Stuffed turkey joints, salmon fillets and small pickers of diced chicken fillets.
They were giving away some of the freshly cut flowers.
freshpopcorn is offline  
06-12-2019, 20:19   #28
tabby aspreme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshpopcorn View Post
As I said it's just a word I used. I've explained myself. Move on!
Meow
tabby aspreme is offline  
06-12-2019, 20:58   #29
seanl77
Registered User
 
seanl77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by banchang View Post
Much more labour intensive though.
100% agree with you
seanl77 is offline  
06-12-2019, 21:15   #30
gobo99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaGene View Post
Yeah same thing as Tesco and all major supermarkets
Tesco at 7pm is unreal when the fella comes with the sticker gun for the final reduction everything goes to 10%
I spotted a leg of lamb for €1.80
The final reduction was known as "feeding time at the zoo" in tesco due to customers acting like famished animals.
gobo99 is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet