Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pollock Runs 2nd fastest All Time Irish

• 01-12-2019 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

2.10.17 in Valencia this morning.

Mitchell Debuting with a 2.36.47

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Splendid run, but how sad is it that every time a big performance is recorded, the question that comes to mind is "what shoes was he/she wearing?".

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Super run, ‘proving his critics wrong once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Leaving technology aside, his 2.15 was always soft considering 62 half marathon.

Great running and great to see

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Fastest time by an Irishman for 31 years :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Splendid run, but how sad is it that every time a big performance is recorded, the question that comes to mind is "what shoes was he/she wearing?".

for anyone curious yes he was wearing the next % :P

Amazing run, can't wait to see how Scullion gets on in Houston now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

IvoryTower wrote: »
    for anyone curious yes he was wearing the next % :P

Amazing run, can't wait to see how Scullion gets on in Houston now

I feel for Scullion I have to say, he decided to do Doha so as not to turn up his nose at an Irish vest at a world champs, he could have gone for a fast course instead. The shoes are another issue though I do expect other manufacturers to bring their version of the Vapour Fly's out soon.

The pink and green are taking over.....

https://twitter.com/JustinMaxwell7/status/1201240901307289600?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

sideswipe wrote: »
    I feel for Scullion I have to say, he decided to do Doha so as not to turn up his nose at an Irish vest at a world champs, he could have gone for a fast course instead. The shoes are another issue though I do expect other manufacturers to bring their version of the Vapour Fly's out soon.

The pink and green are taking over.....

https://twitter.com/JustinMaxwell7/status/1201240901307289600?s=20

Scullion will be going to Tokoyo I thought with the time from Dublin and the extra points scored for the national title ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Scullion's latest podcast throwing some not-so-subtle shade at Pollock re. PP's brother's involvement in recent UKA links to Thyroid medication shadiness.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7736709/amp/UK-athletics-drug-shock-British-stars-claim-governing-body-encouraged-use-thyroid-medication.html

Basically insinuating Pollock is on the juice in today's episode. Surprised he went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

healy1835 wrote: »
    Scullion's latest podcast throwing some not-so-subtle shade at Pollock re. PP's brother's involvement in recent UKA links to Thyroid medication shadiness.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7736709/amp/UK-athletics-drug-shock-British-stars-claim-governing-body-encouraged-use-thyroid-medication.html

Basically insinuating Pollock is on the juice in today's episode. Surprised he went there.

Banker to be rooming together in Tokyo!!

Scullion will be going to Tokoyo I thought with the time from Dublin and the extra points scored for the national title ?

Maybe so, I'm not sure- I just read a few comments online that suggest he needs to beat Pollocks time so thought that was the case.

Surprised at that too! I will listen with interest on my run later.

edit: just read that Daily Mail article- it's a murky business this thyroid medication. Even if somebody was to take it it's not currently breaking any laws as you don't need a TUE for it if I'm reading it correctly? It's not a performance issue either but a weight loss/recovery aid. I'm on thyroid medication and it's never helped me!!!

• Advertisement

Maybe so, I'm not sure- I just read a few comments online that suggest he needs to beat Pollocks time so thought that was the case.

Surprised at that too! I will listen with interest on my run later.

edit: just read that Daily Mail article- it's a murky business this thyroid medication. Even if somebody was to take it it's not currently breaking any laws as you don't need a TUE for it if I'm reading it correctly? It's not a performance issue either but a weight loss/recovery aid. I'm on thyroid medication and it's never helped me!!!

But more than one can go ? So why beat Pollocks time?

But more than one can go ? So why beat Pollocks time?

Just looked at some of the comments. It's the NI record they are talking about rather that qualifying for Tokyo as I thought!

How many can qualify does anybody know? It was 3 women and 3 men for Rio. I think the numbers for the actual races has been cut for the Marathon, I wonder will this cap Irish numbers.

He just said people were asking him about it :pac:

(seems sketchy enough to me tbh)

He just said people were asking him about it :pac:

(seems sketchy enough to me tbh)

Yeah, giving himself enough wiggle room to deny that he's making those allegations. I think him and Pollock have always been a bit cool with other in the past...

I like Scullion, his podcast are very raw but comes across very well

I like Scullion, his podcast are very raw but comes across very well

Same as. Love the podcast, but he's gonna bring a lot of attention his way with those comments that aren't gonna help his build up in any way.

Yep have been enjoying his podcast but have gone full fanboy now since Dublin, I love his "I'm an animal" mantra to get through races! Plenty of good insights for us normal plebs to take from him as well

Bit concerned his body wont hold up for Houston after the back to back marathons , hopefully his 4 yoga sessions a week does the trick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

How many can qualify does anybody know? It was 3 women and 3 men for Rio. I think the numbers for the actual races has been cut for the Marathon, I wonder will this cap Irish numbers.

They capped the marathon numbers at 80 with a max of 3 runners (per sex) per country. They set an automatic qualification time of 2:11:30 meaning you were definitely in if you ran that time - however they only expected around 40-50 runners to get that qualification standard - but that was before the Magic Shoes. Now I believe there are more than 70 with the qualification time, and come the spring fast marathons there'll be even more when all runners get access to Kipchoge's alphaflys so not sure whats going to happen then.

The original intention was that they'd fill the test of the quota from world rankings (you need to set 2 fast marathon times - basically if you won your national championship, 2 times around 2:12/2:13 were expected to be enough but thats not going to be the case anymore. I guess you need to beat 2:11:30 and then you will probably still need to be in the top 80 in the world rankings (thats after all the athletes who have 3 fellow countrymen ahead of them are stripped out of the list)

Yep have been enjoying his podcast but have gone full fanboy now since Dublin, I love his "I'm an animal" mantra to get through races! Plenty of good insights for us normal plebs to take from him as well

Bit concerned his body wont hold up for Houston after the back to back marathons , hopefully his 4 yoga sessions a week does the trick :pac:

I am only in October on the podcasts, but catching up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

I am only in October on the podcasts, but catching up quickly.

It's definitely raw at times, can be difficult to listen to sometimes & he's constantly contracting himself, but he's enjoyable and hopefully he's gets his time

• Advertisement

spc78 wrote: »
    They capped the marathon numbers at 80 with a max of 3 runners (per sex) per country. They set an automatic qualification time of 2:11:30 meaning you were definitely in if you ran that time - however they only expected around 40-50 runners to get that qualification standard - but that was before the Magic Shoes. Now I believe there are more than 70 with the qualification time, and come the spring fast marathons there'll be even more when all runners get access to Kipchoge's alphaflys so not sure whats going to happen then.

The original intention was that they'd fill the test of the quota from world rankings (you need to set 2 fast marathon times - basically if you won your national championship, 2 times around 2:12/2:13 were expected to be enough but thats not going to be the case anymore. I guess you need to beat 2:11:30 and then you will probably still need to be in the top 80 in the world rankings (thats after all the athletes who have 3 fellow countrymen ahead of them are stripped out of the list)

Thanks for that.I know there was some talk of expanding the field now that it has been moved away from Tokyo. We’ll find out soon enough I suppose.

Nobody will be qualifying via world rankings.

Nobody will be qualifying via world rankings.

Its a very messy system.

Its a very messy system.

Well the magic shoes have simplified it now.

Well the magic shoes have simplified it now.

lol

Advertisement