Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jb1989 wrote: »
    If he very weak then creep area be still too cold for my likeing, its just like a new born baby, needs tlc, aw I personally would throw a small palm full in a litre or 2 of milk, id rather kill or cure a weak calf with more food than less, within reason

He's probably starving at this stage, maybe has a low temperature as well which would kill his appetite,
    Sounds like he didn't get enough beastings either, so has lost all his body fat to keep him warm.
    If it was mine I'd take his temperature and heat him if it's below normal and stomach tube a litre of milk into him every four or five hours, his stomach is probably shrunk at this stage and he won't be able for a big feed.If he didn't get enough beastings it'll be all for nothing.
    It takes a lot of heat to get a calves temperature up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Give an antibiotic too.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

tanko wrote: »
    He has managed to survive for six days, i definitely wouldn't give up on him anyway. If you put sugar on your fingers will he suck them, you could get him onto a bottle then and get milk from a dairy farmer for him.
    If the cow has no milk i think i'd be forgetting about her feeding him.
    I'd bring him to a vet, they'll tube the right stuff into him to get him going if he's going to make it, bring a few litres of milk with you.
    Keeping him warm under a lamp is a good idea.

With the form he is in i wouldnt expect him to suck my fingers but will try in a while.....deffo gona forget about the cow feeding him.....
    How often would i want to be feeding him?
    Fed him 1ltr around 22:00. Without glucose in the milk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

whelan2 wrote: »
    Oh was sent off with second 2 kids as soon as they were born.first lad needed special care . I was left on my own in recovery.

My 1st did as well spent 10 days in it my oh is a midwife so knew far to much for her own good.

wrangler wrote: »
    He's probably starving at this stage, maybe has a low temperature as well which would kill his appetite,
    Sounds like he didn't get enough beastings either, so has lost all his body fat to keep him warm.
    If it was mine I'd take his temperature and heat him if it's below normal and stomach tube a litre of milk into him every four or five hours, his stomach is probably shrunk at this stage and he won't be able for a big feed.If he didn't get enough beastings it'll be all for nothing.
    It takes a lot of heat to get a calves temperature up

This is very much like how he is..... hes definitely lost body fat. Nose is realy cold too....prob got v little beastings except for the ltr of powdered stuff i gave him on saturday...
    He was sucking her over the first two or three days...but a meer mugfull id say is all hes got from her. Her teats wer dirty this eve which leads me to believe that he didnt suck today....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Jb1989

With the form he is in i wouldnt expect him to suck my fingers but will try in a while.....deffo gona forget about the cow feeding him.....
    How often would i want to be feeding him?
    Fed him 1ltr around 22:00. Without glucose in the milk

Maybe look into a 'suck Injection' to stimulate the sucking reflex, but as said. Go to vet first and get temperature and maybe a drip.
    I've headed off to a vet at this time of night several times , with a weak new born, in the boot, if I didnt think it survive to morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Jb1989

This is very much like how he is..... hes definitely lost body fat. Nose is realy cold too....prob got v little beastings except for the ltr of powdered stuff i gave him on saturday...
    He was sucking her over the first two or three days...but a meer mugfull id say is all hes got from her. Her teats wer dirty this eve which leads me to believe that he didnt suck today....

Into a red lamp at once so, and if your vet can accommodate you, then head in now, time to act now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I would put him under a infrared lamp and if you don’t have one put him in a deep bed of straw and cover him with a rug or blanket. Calf rugs are good and it’s handy to have one. Feed him a little often - 1 litre at the correct temperature - c.35 degrees every 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Doesn't sound good if he's very cold, get him under a red lamp, feed him a litre of milk every few hours and get him to a vet in the morning, bring a few litres of milk with you.

tanko wrote: »
    Doesn't sound good if he's very cold, get him under a red lamp, feed him a litre of milk every few hours and get him to a vet in the morning, bring a few litres of milk with you.

Attached a pic of him

• Advertisement

Found a red lamp but i said id just bring him inside. He seems to have a bit of a scour... watery nd yellow. Guessing thats just from the milk... should i give him bimadine ????
    Not sure of the mixing ratio to water..... anyone know

Found a red lamp but i said id just bring him inside. He seems to have a bit of a scour... watery nd yellow. Guessing thats just from the milk... should i give him bimadine ????
    Not sure of the mixing ratio to water..... anyone know
    The mix for glucose electrolyte is 3 or 4 tablespoons of glucose, 1 tablespoon of bread soda and half a tablespoon of salt in 2 litres of water. If you’re using milk replacer you need to look at the mixing rate on the bag but most are around 135g per litre. Make sure it’s blood warm when feeding. If you’re using a glass bottle to feed put the bottle in hot water first to warm it so it doesn’t cool the mix.

That’s a good warm place for him beside the range cooker. I would give him biamedin. Bring him to your Vet in the morning if you can.

Base price wrote: »
    That’s a good warm place for him beside the range cooker. I would give him biamedin. Bring him to your Vet in the morning if you can.

Gave him half sachet of Bimadine in 750ml of water... stuff just running out of him.....liquid brownish stuff... hes deffinately warmer.
    Thanks to everyone that contributed. I Appreciate it. Fingers crossed till i get to vet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,052 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are you able to stomach tube? Vet could show you how if you can't. Honey is good for getting a calf to suck. Good luck with it. Has his nose warmed up since he came inside?

Are you able to stomach tube? Vet could show you how if you can't. Honey is good for getting a calf to suck. Good luck with it. Has his nose warmed up since he came inside?

Yea. His nose is warm nd dry. I stomach tubed before. But i never got training do i wouldnt be the most confident doing it. Will try get him in to the vet around 9am and take it from there....
    Should i bring him out to cow nd suck whatever she has before i go to the vet... Dairy mans milk all gone. So will have to get some more......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Yea. His nose is warm nd dry. I stomach tubed before. But i never got training do i wouldnt be the most confident doing it. Will try get him in to the vet around 9am and take it from there....
    Should i bring him out to cow nd suck whatever she has before i go to the vet... Dairy mans milk all gone. So will have to get some more......

Can you milk the cow and bottle him rather than tiring him out trying to suck, especially if she has shag all? Would the dairy man have another drop?
    Looks a good strong calf and won't be long turning the corner I hope.
    Bag of milk replacer is the way to go and forget about the cow.

Once his nose is warm it's good. A cold nose is a bad sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Fair play to you Rushy, you are doing the very best you can for that calf and giving him every chance possible. It would make my day to hear that the calf has survived and started to get a bit stronger! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Vet is best place for him. Great advice from posters, I'll add my tuppence worth. Space out the times between giving electrolytes and milk, 2 hrs, as electrolytes curdle the milk and upset digestion.

• Advertisement

Vet is best place for him. Great advice from posters, I'll add my tuppence worth. Space out the times between giving electrolytes and milk, 2 hrs, as electrolytes curdle the milk and upset digestion.

Got him in to the vet . Hes on a drip and tubed stuff into him nd and antibiotic..... hes staying overnight under a lamp and we will see what tomorrow brings.... thanks everyone. I was doing stuff yesterday evening and last night but its nice to get advice and reassurance.
    Another man pulled in to the vets yard with the same problem....
    If he pulls through can i put him on milk replacer or will i go to the dairy man for a week. He has been very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Got him in to the vet . Hes on a drip and tubed stuff into him nd and antibiotic..... hes staying overnight under a lamp and we will see what tomorrow brings.... thanks everyone. I was doing stuff yesterday evening and last night but its nice to get advice and reassurance.
    Another man pulled in to the vets yard with the same problem....
    If he pulls through can i put him on milk replacer or will i go to the dairy man for a week. He has been very helpful.

You would be better off putting him on milk replacer if he's not going back on the cow. The cow will probably be dry by the time to put him back on her. And use a little and often when feeding him for the first few days and then add a little more and cut back the number of feeds. And have water available for him when he gets a bit stronger.

If you are feeding him yourself you know he is drinking and how much he got.

You would be better off putting him on milk replacer if he's not going back on the cow. The cow will probably be dry by the time to put him back on her. And use a little and often when feeding him for the first few days and then add a little more and cut back the number of feeds. And have water available for him when he gets a bit stronger.

Will be wrecked this evening after the long night.... thank god the toy show is not on tonight!!!
    Think my 3yr old boy will have a busy few months bucket rearing him if he pulls through!!! Thats if i can get him away from the tractor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Anyone for any all electric, armour glass windows, Tesla cybertruck ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udxR5rBq_Vg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Anyone for any all electric, armour glass windows, Tesla cybertruck ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udxR5rBq_Vg

He should have just bought up the windows from VW passats.

Will be wrecked this evening after the long night.... thank god the toy show is not on tonight!!!
    Think my 3yr old boy will have a busy few months bucket rearing him if he pulls through!!! Thats if i can get him away from the tractor!!!

Any update?

Any update?

Contacted an hour ago.... holding his own... wont be coming home this eve anyway.....nd prob not tomorrow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He should have just bought up the windows from VW passats.

You would have to ask what the engineers were thinking of to not have checked the windows weren't going to shatter during the test:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You would have to ask what the engineers were thinking of to not have checked the windows weren't going to shatter during the test:D

My Construction studies teacher in secondary school used to tell the class of a nuclear reactor being built and how the engineers had this concrete made to withstand all manners of radiation and stress.
    One day one of the engineers noticed a patch of concrete ravelling away. They went back to the concrete plant to check was there something wrong with the mixes. Nope all to spec.
    Scratching their heads they went back to the spot to call a meeting of the team. Just as the the group turned the corner to that area a labourer was seen urinating from two stories up and it landing on that spot.
    They had planned for bomb blasts and shocks and stresses but not for labourers urinating on their concrete.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement