Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-11-2019, 22:47   #1
Singer

DCM 2019 Graduates: the rest of your life that happens after the marathon

Hello all, and welcome to this year’s edition of the graduates thread!

As many of you will know, the yearly Dublin Marathon Novices thread is one of the best things on boards.ie (and in life in general), where all of the agony, joy, heartbreak, worry and satisfaction of doing your first marathon somehow gets a community of runners together on the internet to try and help make it work out more enjoyable than it might have been otherwise, both as a member of a community and also as a runner. The graduates thread traditionally happens soon after the marathon and attempts to keep you all together in a kind of post-club 3AM “all back to my gaff” sort of way. We might lose some people along the way, and it might get messy at times but it’s where the best stuff really happens... wait, what were we talking about again?

Unfortunately for this year’s set of graduates there were no good or available candidates to run the thread and so after much angst and desperation the wise elders of Athletics & Running asked me to look after this year’s graduates

Who am I? I’m a proud 2015 Mentored Novices Graduate and somehow I’ve kept running and posting to boards since then. My own background wasn’t sporty at all, I’m a classic midlife crisis hobby jogger I have benefitted hugely in my life from both running and the boards.ie Athletics / Running community and am delighted to be given the opportunity to lead you astray help you grow as runners.

So what do we all want to get out of a graduate thread? Really it’s about keeping the community together and helping each other grow. After your first marathon, you’re probably as fit as you’ve ever been and slightly bitten by the running bug. There are many however many directions you can go: more marathons, ultra-marathon runner, track speedster, mountain goat, cross-country mud lover, speedy sprinter and possibly even a triathlon… person. The race announcer from the Dublin Marathon and Race Series regularly uses this quote from Dr. Seuss before most races which is a little bit corny but also totally true:

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

Ok, there’s the inspirational quote bit done! Now, what are we going to do on this thread?

Just like Mr. Guappa so expertly did on the Novices thread, I’ll ask weekly questions of you all. I’ll also set a weekly challenge, which will be running orientated. This is a new part of the graduates thread, and hopefully it’ll work out The purpose of the challenge is to maybe try one or two new things out or explore areas related to running. The challenges won’t be anything too difficult and are not mandatory at all, but it should add a little bit of fun, variety and comradery to the thread. Finally, we should all be following some sort of structured plan and telling each other how it’s going. I will be recommending KSU’s 2016 graduates plan which is designed exactly for this purpose. I think it’s a great plan as it’s time based, rather than orientated around distance. The plan has an initial base building which is ideal for building back up after a marathon. There is some solid progression in it and will bring most runners along, and there are also race distance specific plans to follow after the base building phase. If it’s not for you or you have some other ideas of a plan to follow, then by all means do you want to do but do let us know what you’re up to and how it’s going. Whatever you do, it is important to retain structure and consistency, as these are the fundamentals of improving as a runner.

The graduates thread is also a good opportunity to ask questions. I won’t have all the answers, but will help out where I can. Other graduates are also very much encouraged to give their own answers and I’m sure that other folks from the boards running community will drop in with their wisdom too. I recommend taking advantage of the thread and community at large, as it’s an amazing opportunity to learn and grow as a runner, as well as contributing back to the community. There’s no such thing as a bad question, or answer, here.

Finally to kick things off, here are a couple of questions for you all to answer in the thread.

1. Do you have any goals over the next few months? What are they and why?

2. What would you like to get out of this thread?

p.s. it’s totally ok to participate in the thread if you aren’t a Dublin City Marathon 2019 graduate. No matter what your background, do feel free to participate fully. It might be a bit weird if Eliud Kipchoge showed up and started asking some questions and posting his weekly updates, but if you’re not him then it’s all good.

p.p.s congrats to skyblue46 on correctly guessing the next mentor. Who's gonna be next year's Novices mentor?
Advertisement
06-11-2019, 23:04   #2
Kellygirl

Great choice of Mentor. You’ll be brilliant Singer.

Just to add, if you don’t mind, The Pace calculator used for the grads plan is: https://runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

The one on the notes page is not used anymore.
06-11-2019, 23:09   #3
coogy

Nice one B, great to see you taking this on against your will for the new graduates!

To the new graduates, as Singer mentioned, you will be undoubtedly shopping around to see which plan suits you best, once you've decided what the next 12 months has in store for you.

Personally, I'd say you can't go wrong with the graduates plan. I benefitted hugely from it throughout this year as it saw me though some very satisfying PB's at 5 mile, 10 mile, half marathon (x2) and marathon distances.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress and best of luck to you all as you spread your wings, you have a superb mentor in Singer!!
06-11-2019, 23:13   #4
Comic Book Guy

Congrats Grads you are moving from the mentorship of some super safe hands to another.
As I said in the Novices Thread let this be the beginning of your journey and not look on DCM19 as the end of it. Im looking forward to seeing loads and loads of 5k and 10k PBs in early 2020 under Singer's stewardship (should be a spike in work runmutes too!).
All the very best in your new role B, no bother to ya.

PS. I seem to remember Kipchoge posting a Berlin Marathon race report in here before so maybe he might pop in from time to time!!
06-11-2019, 23:14   #5
skyblue46

Correctly guessing? Not quite. It was a stonewall certainty as far as I was concerned. In terms of being able to help the grads, being a regular and positive poster and being a generally sound bloke there was only going to be one standout candidate. Congratulations and, on behalf of many, thanks!
Advertisement
06-11-2019, 23:16   #6
Swashbuckler

Great choice. Congrats Singer.

In fairness to skyblue he had so many candidates on the guess list he was bound to be right with one.
06-11-2019, 23:23   #7
kulekat

Thanks Singer for taking us under ur wing
I had a great DCM and count myself very lucky. I came in at 4:32, probably 13min under my 'wish list' time, after niggling injuries and the usual life crises leading up to a big day. Going forward, i would love to break PBs upto HM distances.
To date my pbs (all in last few months) are
5k 24:xx
10k 54:xx
HM: 2:04

Im def a mid life crises runner only started last year. It has changed my life. Looking forward to following the grads plan !
06-11-2019, 23:31   #8
Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulekat View Post
Thanks Singer for taking us under ur wing
I had a great DCM and count myself very lucky. I came in at 4:32, probably 13min under my 'wish list' time, after niggling injuries and the usual life crises leading up to a big day. Going forward, i would love to break PBs upto HM distances.
To date my pbs (all in last few months) are
5k 24:xx
10k 54:xx
HM: 2:04

Im def a mid life crises runner only started last year. It has changed my life. Looking forward to following the grads plan !
Great stuff kulekat, and well done on coming in well under your target at DCM! It sounds like you'll really enjoy the graduates plan. Have you any races in mind?
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2019, 23:39   #9
skyblue46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
Great choice. Congrats Singer.

In fairness to skyblue he had so many candidates on the guess list he was bound to be right with one.
1/8.... Odds on favourite! I'll say no more
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-11-2019, 23:51   #10
kulekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer View Post
Great stuff kulekat, and well done on coming in well under your target at DCM! It sounds like you'll really enjoy the graduates plan. Have you any races in mind?
Im doing run the line as a slow walk run in a few weeks, other than that possibly the jingle bells 5k. That will tell me if all the lsr's increase speed!
(2) thanks from:
07-11-2019, 00:43   #11
Treviso

Delighted to see this thread startup and the choice of graduate mentor. Whilst I probably won't follow the graduates plan, I do want to participate and get advice from other fellow runners in the thread. Having ran DCM19 in 3.26 I'm hoping to continue on improving my times over the various distances and eventually build up to next years DCM (already entered!)

I'm going to follow a plan that my OH did 2 years ago, which will average about 40 miles a week. It involves a lot of varied runs (including a lot of easy running) which seems interesting to me. Having followed the P&D 55 mile plan for the DCM19, I should be ok for it. Next target race is Dungarvan 10 in Feb which I hope to go under 70mins. Might also do the Togher 5k around Xmas too. I still think endurance is the main weakness I need to work on so will try to average 40 plus weekly miles for 2020.

Well obviously to run a sub 3 hour marathon, let me know how to do that mr mentor (congrats btw)
07-11-2019, 06:47   #12
Doc76

Thanks so much for taking us on, Singer

DCM 2019 was not my first marathon but I hadn’t raced one since 2002 so it was like beginning again. I have been running off and on and participating in races just for fun since college (I’m 43 now) but really want to focus on it this year and be more consistent. I really enjoy the gym/cardio classes and other sports but this is where my passion is and I want to be more organized in my approach. I will continue to participate in other activities (body combat, body pump, and maybe yoga if I can) but running will be my priority.

My goal this year is to improve my recent times in 5k, 10k, 10 miles, 1/2 and the full 26.2. I feel like my endurance is pretty good, I just need to work on speeding up

2019 PBs were 1:01:07 for 10k, 1:44:49 for 10 miles, 2:16:54 for 1/2, and 5:05:17 for the full. I haven’t done a 5k in recent memory. Parkruns unfortunately don’t suit as my kids are involved in sports on Saturday mornings all over the place.

I know I’m capable of quicker times, particularly for the marathon so looking to work on that.

So far, I’ve signed up for the Jingle Bells 5k, the Trim 10 mile, and DCM 2020. I’ll likely also do the Killary Gaelforce Bray Cliff 10k in April, Women’s Mini Marathon in May, the Bay 10k and definitely the three KBC race series races.

Right now I am following Hal Higdons post marathon recovery program, which is 5 weeks long, ending with a race which for me will be the JB 5k. After that I’ll switch to the grads plan.

Thanks again for the thread and guidance. The novices thread was invaluable to me and helped me stick to a plan instead of my usual haphazard approach to running and races. Looking forward to the year ahead and participating in this

Last edited by Doc76; 07-11-2019 at 06:51.
07-11-2019, 07:33   #13
eabha19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer View Post
Hello all, and welcome to this year’s edition of the graduates thread!

As many of you will know, the yearly Dublin Marathon Novices thread is one of the best things on boards.ie (and in life in general), where all of the agony, joy, heartbreak, worry and satisfaction of doing your first marathon somehow gets a community of runners together on the internet to try and help make it work out more enjoyable than it might have been otherwise, both as a member of a community and also as a runner. The graduates thread traditionally happens soon after the marathon and attempts to keep you all together in a kind of post-club 3AM “all back to my gaff” sort of way. We might lose some people along the way, and it might get messy at times but it’s where the best stuff really happens... wait, what were we talking about again?

Unfortunately for this year’s set of graduates there were no good or available candidates to run the thread and so after much angst and desperation the wise elders of Athletics & Running asked me to look after this year’s graduates

Who am I? I’m a proud 2015 Mentored Novices Graduate and somehow I’ve kept running and posting to boards since then. My own background wasn’t sporty at all, I’m a classic midlife crisis hobby jogger I have benefitted hugely in my life from both running and the boards.ie Athletics / Running community and am delighted to be given the opportunity to lead you astray help you grow as runners.

So what do we all want to get out of a graduate thread? Really it’s about keeping the community together and helping each other grow. After your first marathon, you’re probably as fit as you’ve ever been and slightly bitten by the running bug. There are many however many directions you can go: more marathons, ultra-marathon runner, track speedster, mountain goat, cross-country mud lover, speedy sprinter and possibly even a triathlon… person. The race announcer from the Dublin Marathon and Race Series regularly uses this quote from Dr. Seuss before most races which is a little bit corny but also totally true:

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

Ok, there’s the inspirational quote bit done! Now, what are we going to do on this thread?

Just like Mr. Guappa so expertly did on the Novices thread, I’ll ask weekly questions of you all. I’ll also set a weekly challenge, which will be running orientated. This is a new part of the graduates thread, and hopefully it’ll work out The purpose of the challenge is to maybe try one or two new things out or explore areas related to running. The challenges won’t be anything too difficult and are not mandatory at all, but it should add a little bit of fun, variety and comradery to the thread. Finally, we should all be following some sort of structured plan and telling each other how it’s going. I will be recommending KSU’s 2016 graduates plan which is designed exactly for this purpose. I think it’s a great plan as it’s time based, rather than orientated around distance. The plan has an initial base building which is ideal for building back up after a marathon. There is some solid progression in it and will bring most runners along, and there are also race distance specific plans to follow after the base building phase. If it’s not for you or you have some other ideas of a plan to follow, then by all means do you want to do but do let us know what you’re up to and how it’s going. Whatever you do, it is important to retain structure and consistency, as these are the fundamentals of improving as a runner.

The graduates thread is also a good opportunity to ask questions. I won’t have all the answers, but will help out where I can. Other graduates are also very much encouraged to give their own answers and I’m sure that other folks from the boards running community will drop in with their wisdom too. I recommend taking advantage of the thread and community at large, as it’s an amazing opportunity to learn and grow as a runner, as well as contributing back to the community. There’s no such thing as a bad question, or answer, here.

Finally to kick things off, here are a couple of questions for you all to answer in the thread.

p.s. it’s totally ok to participate in the thread if you aren’t a Dublin City Marathon 2019 graduate. No matter what your background, do feel free to participate fully. It might be a bit weird if Eliud Kipchoge showed up and started asking some questions and posting his weekly updates, but if you’re not him then it’s all good.

p.p.s congrats to skyblue46 on correctly guessing the next mentor. Who's gonna be next year's Novices mentor?
Singer really appreciate you taking us on. The boards plan and mentor support were invaluable for my DCM training.
My goals over the next few months are to work on my times from 5k to half marathon. I'm not doing a marathon next year - if I do it again I'd like to do it as a faster runner with a decent hope of getting in under my 2019 time. I have signed up for Jingle Bells (and have promised to bring flap jacks for after!) and the Trim 10 mile. I'll likely also do the Mullingar Half on Paddys Day a and maybe the Great Ireland Run for my 10k.

I run with my local club but I stepped back from it during my training for DCM and opted for the boards plan instead. I'm hoping to mix and match between the grads plan and some club sessions to keep up with the gang. I loved all the easy miles of the boards plan but my clubmates just think I've lost it running so slowly! Since DCM I've done three easy runs and a short fartlek session at the track. I'm running 10k with clubmates Sat morning which will be their version of easy rather than mine. I had a quick look at the base plan - what's a progression run?

Last edited by eabha19; 07-11-2019 at 07:45.
07-11-2019, 07:44   #14
OOnegative

Great choice, ye are in the safest of hands with Singer. Best of luck B, am sure your performance here will be every bit OMFG as DCM was.
07-11-2019, 08:01   #15
KSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabha19 View Post
I had a quick look at the base plan - what's a progression run?
Nothing overly elaborate start run as easy pace and increase pace incrementally with the ones in base plan you are in around marathon effort for last 5-10 min so not a hard session at all.

Best of luck to all graduates your in safe hands with S a perfect example of discipline patience and perseverance he won’t steer you wrong and will have you all running sub 3s with him before long

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion