Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rob tourists at gunpoint & have your anonymity protected?

Options
  • 22-10-2019 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

A report in the IT shows a video of a pair of scummers robbing tourists at gun point. The thieves have their faces blurred in the video placed online. Call me old-fashioned, but I think robbing people at gun point should make you liable for having your mug plastered all over the media.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/tourists-robbed-at-gunpoint-near-guinness-storehouse-in-dublin-1.4059200

Dialing my predictable outrage down, what's the serious reason for preserving the privacy of these scrotes? Is it because Gardai will have a good idea of who they are and there's no need to risk mistakenly identifying innocent grey tracksuit wearers? Surely there's a good reason rather than modern PC data privacy?

Personally, I would like to see the obligatory online posting of names and mugshots upon conviction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

boombang wrote:
    Personally, I would like to see the obligatory online posting of names and mugshots upon conviction.

Because naming and shaming always prevents future crimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This was on joe Duffy earlier apparently GDPR laws prevent the person being identified in footage or images

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Because naming and shaming always prevents future crimes!

Did I say it was perfect solution? It's just my personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

boombang wrote:
    Did I say it was perfect solution? It's just my personal preference.

That's fair enough, but does it really work?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That's fair enough, but does it really work?

I don't know: I've not looked in to it. However, I would like to have a fair ability to know if there's a violent or persistent criminal that lives in my neighbourhood following release. That's why I'd like this info to be out there. Plus, if you do something shameful, then I think you should deal with the public shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

boombang wrote: »
    I don't know: I've not looked in to it. However, I would like to have a fair ability to know if there's a violent or persistent criminal that lives in my neighbourhood following release. That's why I'd like this info to be out there. Plus, if you do something shameful, then I think you should deal with the public shame.

One reason is mistaken identity. Blanking out the faces until conviction prevents vigilante attacks on innocent lookalikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Completely understand the need to blur the faces,

Also, certain - the Gardai local to the area will 100% know this guy off the bat, I certainly hope he doesn't repeatedly trip and fall during his upcoming arrest.

Scummy bastard, you can feel the terror in that poor lady from watching the video. I sincerely hope she recovers without PTSD or some other crap hanging over her.

Would people feel OK to have the unedited footage released following conviction?

I understand the need not to prejudice chances of a conviction/possibly avoid mistaken identity, but these would seem to be void if a conviction is successfully achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    One reason is mistaken identity. Blanking out the faces until conviction prevents vigilante attacks on innocent lookalikes.

Yep. Innocent until proven guilty, even if they're blatantly guilty.

It's a shame people falsely accused of sexual crimes don't get the same protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

A report in the IT shows a video of a pair of scummers robbing tourists at gun point. The thieves have their faces blurred in the video placed online. Call me old-fashioned, but I think robbing people at gun point should make you liable for having your mug plastered all over the media.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/tourists-robbed-at-gunpoint-near-guinness-storehouse-in-dublin-1.4059200

Dialing my predictable outrage down, what's the serious reason for preserving the privacy of these scrotes? Is it because Gardai will have a good idea of who they are and there's no need to risk mistakenly identifying innocent grey tracksuit wearers? Surely there's a good reason rather than modern PC data privacy?

CCTV footage must blur the faces to comply with GDPR

• Advertisement

Little scrotes should be dragged through Smithfield and battered with hurls ,

This shows exactly what happens when we have a failed judicial system and a failing law enforcement system

Do you know if this would also apply following a successful conviction?

Also, I presume GDPR has not done away with photos being taken of delightful characters leaving court?

Imagine that some scum bag has more rights to protection than we have to be protected against scum

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It took ten minutes for the first unarmed Gardai to arrive

God help us if there is a terrorist attack in the city centre

Do you know if this would also apply following a successful conviction?

Also, I presume GDPR has not done away with photos being taken of delightful characters leaving court?

GDPR only relates to video recording technologies
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/guidance-landing/video-recording

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

GDPR only relates to video recording technologies
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/guidance-landing/video-recording

A CCTV that take loads of individual pics would be ok or not in that situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

Why does crimecall show unblurred faces so?

A CCTV that take loads of individual pics would be ok or not in that situation?

What? That's exactly what a video is made up of. M-Jpeg is motion Jpeg, ie a series of images that change rapidly

What? That's exactly what a video is made up of. M-Jpeg is motion Jpeg, ie a series of images that change rapidly

I think the point is what's the dividing line between multiple still images and video.

bossdrum wrote: »

I presume it might be possible to circulate the images where the scumbags are not already identifiable to the police and the balance of the benefit of public help identifying them outweighs the possible harm of mistaken identity.

• Advertisement

bossdrum wrote: »

Not sure, you'd need to ask the data protection commisioner. Maybe they are seeking permission
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

That area is rife with scummers. They hang out in packs by the Lord Edward and over by the SVdeP across from Christ Church.

The eyewitness – Muhammed

Religion of peace my ar... oh wait ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gatling wrote: »
    Little scrotes should be dragged through Smithfield and battered with hurls

What happens when that "little scrote" is your son, who happens to look a bit like a scumbag caught on CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Little scrotes should be dragged through Smithfield and battered with hurls ,

This shows exactly what happens when we have a failed judicial system and a failing law enforcement system
    Pretty sure there are a few other indictable crimes in this post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Tony EH wrote: »
    What happens when that "little scrote" is your son, who happens to look a bit like a scumbag caught on CCTV.

He’s not talking about a lookalike. He’s talking about the actual scumbags in the cctv.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He’s not talking about a lookalike. He’s talking about the actual scumbags in the cctv.

Would you trust a mob to discern between "actual scumbags" and somebody they think is the guy their looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

GDPR is a load of ****.

If it means scumbags are caught then I’m all for dropping GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

This was on joe Duffy earlier apparently GDPR laws prevent the person being identified in footage or images

Does GDPR provide for anonymity for acts committed in a public place ?

If so I’m afraid journalism is facing a bleak future and may start to read a bit like this; “Today at an unspecified time at an undisclosed location a person made some promises and talked about unspecified past achievements and future events. All relevant information has been omitted just in case the particular individual’s identity may be deducted from it.”

Good luck to you finding out if this was a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman or the Taoiseach announcing the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

GDPR should be repealed.

It is a terrible piece of legislation.

It is like the world's biggest wet blanket. Stifling everything.... law enforcement, business, the economy, simple inquiries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I doubt this is the actual reason. News reporting is to a large extend exempt from GDPR, and for obvious reasons there isn’t a blank requirement to always blur all faces when you share CCTV footage (otherwise that footage would become useless).

I’d say GDPR is more an easy excuse to justify decisions based on other motives.

Advertisement